Author Topic: Ghost Town?  (Read 13483 times)

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Town?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2011, 07:54:42 pm »
Dale, you'll only feel your outside the circle if you think there is a circle.  There are groups of mates on here, but there are also a lot of people who don't know anyone or like myself who are only acquainted with one or two people.
Don't ever feel backward about coming forward just because you think there might be a clicky circle, just barge in and bust it open.

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2011, 08:02:24 pm »
i too have noticed that the forum has gone down hill in the last 12 months or so all because we
have had a lot of bickering an arguments over this bike is better or im a faster rider than u....
i use to post up a lot comments and info years ago but stopped straight away after i was blasted by a so called maico lover who knows
everything but doesnt how to do a spell check after a post  ::)
i still log on everyday and check out everybodys posts, some days id like to post and respond to other comments
but like dale i am shit scared  ???
also miss the regulars like doc, wombat n co but really glad firko has come back to the fold..
im sorta feelin the same way as firko ive had enuff of that shit fight fire with fire ...

Offline dalesween

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2011, 08:02:47 pm »
Thanks ,i know of a few others that are in the same boat as me but this forum is too interesting to let go,onwards and upwards hey.

cheers Dale.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 08:12:27 pm by dalesween »

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2011, 08:43:09 pm »
Andrew - is that a 480 or 500 in your avatar?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

TM BILL

« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2011, 09:09:31 pm »
The forum is a reflection of real life  :) if you move to a new school , job or town you will always be the new boy at first ;) people deal with this in different ways . Some find their way through humour others through charm whiles others seek out the hard case and take them down and gain respect in that way  ;)
Anyway i have always found this forum to be a great meeting place of like minded people and if the subject matter diversifies from our common interest VMX then again its just like real life.
Mates i have met through VMX i dont feel thats all we have in common sure you meet through a shared interest but as mates you grow and share and discuss all manner of subjects .
There are subjects on here that i feel are of no interest to me (Carbon tax for example ) so i choose to ignore those subjects and concentrate on the ones that do interest me.
I can understand it can be frustrating for some when a thread goes off topic , but for me that again is a mirror of real life.
What i dont like and cant understand is the stupid and gutless bullying that goes on, like what Firko has experienced. Again real life is full of bullying Wankers who try to make up for their own inadequacies by putting shit on other as they see weaker individuals . Its very easy to be a tough guy on a forum but a bit harder to step up in real life and there has been a bit of that on here over the years .
I think of the forum as a local pub  :) difference is in the pub if someones  giving your mate a hard time we tend to step up and deal with it but on here (with few exeptions ) its easy to look away  ::)
As far as it being a boys club bullshit  ::) Im sorry if you dont get a response to a request for a mini bike part or an obscure trail bike part  ::) but be realistic you are in a minority of collectors . It does'nt   mean your passion is any less than those with more main stream bikes but should every forum member reply with "sorry no but good luck with that  ::) " . I think you will find that many mainstream parts requested dont get a reply either , it dont mean your an outsider just obviously nobody has anything  ;)
Another valid point was a number of people get on here saying how the forum is dying and its all doom and gloom but do sweet FA to add valuable comment or post items of VMX interest.
There is a certain member who every time a thread goes the way he doesn't like is quick to state "dumbgeon here we come " ::) as if trying to goad Graeme to get rid of it as its not to his personnel taste.
If you are unhappy with the forum why not ask for a subscription refund or just not renew your subscription  ;) OH THATS RIGHT ITS FREE , GRATIAS , FA, NO CHARGE , FREE ENTERTAINMENT  :) and maybe thats half the problem . Years ago while involved in moden MX we used to have free entry for spectators , we always got a small number of spectators and always a wanker element  ::) One commitee meeting it was suggested we charge admission to club days , within 6 months we were getting big crowds and no wanker element because those who came wanted to be there and more people came because they believed if we were charging it must be good. We were able to pay prize money from the gate takings so encouraged better riders from out of the district so better racing and everyone was happy  :)
Over the years this forum has been a mine of valuable information and we have shared the joy of mates new family additions and the tradegdy of mates lost or maimed . Fundraisers have been held and incredible generosity has been shown  :)
People will come and go its human nature  :) so don't dwell on whats been and enjoy peoples input while they are here  ;) Above all never forget we are all guest on Graemes forum and it is still the best forum on the net. Others may be currently more patronized but in my experience are moderated by control freaks  ::)
Thanks Graeme  for the great forum  :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 09:14:59 pm by TM BILL »

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2011, 09:14:07 pm »
You're welcome Bill. And you never know, some old regulars just might come back.

;)

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 09:39:01 pm »
Andrew - is that a 480 or 500 in your avatar?
its an 84 500

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2011, 09:56:06 pm »
Yeah the feeling for a newbie or someone outside the "circle" is not a great feeling,
There's no real circle here Dale, sure there are some blokes who know each other from the races but in the main we've all started as strangers and have gradually worked into friendships. Don't ever feel embarrassed or too shy to join in, the bullies are gone so you won't be criticised or made feel uncomfortable (unless of course you act like a total prat which I somehow don't think you will 8) ). As far as your request for a YZ 80 wheel going unanswered, As TM Bill said, it's not a common ask but you can bet that if someone did have a spare they would have told you. If I got dejected every time nobody replied to my request for parts I'd be permantly on Prozac so don't take it personally mate. Remember that if you've got something that you think can contribute to a thread, need to know something or need a part, jump right on in and post away....before long you won't feel like a stranger any more. :D
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2011, 10:08:03 pm »
I think during the carbon tax discussion I threw 3 or 4 VMX related posts up.... got a few comments, got the usual mixed reaction to the RM125 PDI swingarm .... took a couple on board and cheerfully changed to Preston Petty front guard today.

The Forum is not a Ghost Town but more like a Pub like TMBill says, where when there are plenty of bike projects on everyone has those to chew over and when there is not we just shoot shit about other things.

I would say the recession has people spending a little less means we are not all buying new bikes every week and maybe there are a few less people involved but as a forum member don't be shy about throwing up photos and making some wild claims......getting the ball rolling on a few more threads.
formerly Marc.com

Curly3

« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2011, 10:31:54 pm »
TMBill pretty well covered it.
If we all thought the same it'd be a boring existance.
I'll admit to mentioning the looming Dumbgeon at one point but only in an attempt to cool a topic down a bit that was becoming personal, as someone else has stated Graeme M gives us a fair bit of latitude and rarely steps in.
I say to my kids, don't be shy to ask questions of anyone, ask a sensible question and you'll get a sensible answere.
I know I've asked some doozy's that when I look back on them I think, Doh.
Thanks also to Graeme

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2011, 10:33:17 pm »
Hi Dale . As Firko said mate just ask, most members will help if they can . Im a Yamaha collector (hoarder) I restored a yzb 80 a few years ago the hardest part I found was the bloody air box . I scroll through the wanted list if I have the part and I can bare to part with it Ill send an answer to the seeker. Otherwise I dont answer , whats the point saying I cant help . As far as members making comments about ones restorations , Im doing up a DT1 project in general on this site . Firko , Grahame , Vandy & Freakshow all made comments about my choices of tank /guards / sidecovers . their thoughts were right it is a better looking pre 70 bike with a period tank and guards . Stick with it ignore the fools and don't bite when some fool angers you just ignore him , without an audience they wither . regards Iain
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

monaro308

« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2011, 10:43:05 pm »
I just go in cycles (no pun intended) where i just get fed up with the dirt bikes and work on the cars and get fed up with them and work on the mountain bikes.
The winter months REALLY get to me and i hardly go out to the shed to work (unless i'm on arvo shift)on the bikes even though i love working on them.
I haven't touched the PE250T for a couple of months now which only needs a few more things to finish it off.
I haven't posted for a while only because i don't have anything to contribute/say and also not working on them.
Without the help of Graeme's site and Doc,TM Bill,Luke,Leith,Frosty,Marc etc etc.....i'd be stuffed.

I've asked a few mates that ride and even they aren't doing much at the moment.......maybe its just that time of year!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2011, 10:48:36 pm »
I think during the carbon tax discussion I threw 3 or 4 VMX related posts up.... got a few comments, got the usual mixed reaction to the RM125 PDI swingarm .... took a couple on board and cheerfully changed to Preston Petty front guard today.

The Forum is not a Ghost Town but more like a Pub like TMBill says, where when there are plenty of bike projects on everyone has those to chew over and when there is not we just shoot shit about other things.

I would say the recession has people spending a little less means we are not all buying new bikes every week and maybe there are a few less people involved but as a forum member don't be shy about throwing up photos and making some wild claims......getting the ball rolling on a few more threads.

Yep , yep,yep. Numbers are notabley down at VMX events as well down here. Maybe its the recession that we are not having.Opps thats politics again isn't it? Sorry ::)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2011, 06:47:49 am »
Yep , yep,yep. Numbers are notabley down at VMX events as well down here. Maybe its the recession that we are not having.Opps thats politics again isn't it? Sorry ::)

Yeah from what I understand NZ numbers are pretty low as well ..... I think the discretionary income is not there and like the stories I hear out of NZ, a lot of people are having to decide between the mortgage and the kids eating these days.

In my case it is simply that I like a little variety so been building classic road race bike. Good time to have a little cash though .... mate of mine just picked up Ducati Desmodici.... thats the one based on the current race bikes.... normal retail 60K, the Yank 'needed the money' and took 30 for it. I have my eye on TX510 Husky at the moment.... its 50% less than what it would have sold for 2 years ago.
formerly Marc.com

Offline the stig

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2011, 07:35:34 am »

I think things will pick up on the Forum now all all the Crap on G.W

and G.F.C have been nipped in the bud perhaps a couple of forum

Moderators to censor some of the things posted would be a good

move especially on personal attacks..

Poppy..