Author Topic: Budget flat tracker  (Read 18745 times)

firko

Re: Budget flat tracker
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2009, 03:17:50 pm »
Thanks Pete, the vintage flat track scene is going along quite well in the USA, a lot healthier than here it seems  ::)
Your Yamaha 650 would be allowed to race but may need some minor changes. A lot of guys use stock framed Yamaha XS650s but more often than not they derake the steering to around 26 degrees and set the pegs up a little different but overall you'd get away with what you've got, same with your Honda twin. Have a look at this site for an idea of what's going on over there.....http://www.vft.org/index.html  Check out the classifieds, some really cheap stuff often comes up.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2009, 04:35:19 pm »
how do you get awat with dics brakes as it has to be oem as per ma gcr to have them .your bikes are not oem.same as cliffs hagon they use other parts to make the bikes up.hagon make frame other people supply the motors.

Im not sure what your talking about but its all OEM for these models.  Airhearts disks where standard on Bates hubs from 72 so its era proven and could throw a 7x4 trailer load of mags dated from 72 to anyone who wants to question the period correctness.

In regards to Cliff's bike, this is getting tired, if he bothered to use a correct era pre 75 model motor he wouldnt have an issue would we ?    the rules state motor and frame Pre 75 other parts can be repro or from that period.  my bikes are genuine pre 75 model made all the way.
Freaky
how come you dont run front brakes and whats with heavy rear disc brakes when a light drummy would do?

Why dont speedway bikes run any brakes at all ?  if you going round in  circles you wont need it, only if its got more than a 90 degree turn would you need to stop ? the rear is just a trim or to stop you hitting the wall after a race where as the speedway guys rub off on the right peg. 

Dont know where do you get the idea the disks are heavy ?  with a pad the size of a 50 cent peice they are hard and shitty, but light they most certainly are, paper thin.  Plus you find me a rear braked hub i can pop the sprocket off in about 30 seconds by hitting the spinner off, or if the tyre wears on one side swap the brake disk over with the sprocket and run the tyre backside and  in about 60 seconds and ill look at fitting one.  IF you see these ali hubs you'll understand how it works.  beSIDE TAHT THEY LOOK SHIT COOL !

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »
great project Peter-an good on ya Firko for doing the feature.How strong is classic flat-track in US,Firko? Be great to go over and ride an event over there. 5 riders went from Griffith Club some years ago.Would our bikes be suitable?

DOES A BEAR SHIT IN THE WOODS.

You'd be fine,  but wouldnt waste you time taking yours though, you need one that been tech inspected and you could get a well set up ready to race xs750 anyway for $3,500 over there run it for a meet or 2 then onsell it for what you paid.  Plus it would come with the Shell cams and all that other trick Ti stuff as well.

even some of the guys would lease you one, some US blokes just love to build em, bnot ride them so just pick up a ride that way for a round, they enter it and you ride ....... ;)  rthink this is one of Hotshoe Todds units but you get the idea

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:46:33 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2009, 06:15:18 pm »
that i was getting at is the gcrs say no disc brake unless it is ome.
a frame is not a complete bike.hagons are the same frame builders.
could you ride on of these at the nationals win and keep you win if there was a protest, on the basis that ma state no disc brakes pre75 unless ome ie rokon ect
cheers
jim

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2009, 12:08:30 am »
You must be reading a differant moms to me. 
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2009, 06:22:59 am »
rule 18.5.0.4 d brakes
disc brakes as originally fitted by manufactures   (rokon,dalesman and tyron/wassel)
just got my open lic last month they sent me a book 2009 manual of motorcycle sport
our phone chat sorted my info out
thanks
jim

TwoTees

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2009, 07:01:36 am »
Once that's done he's getting into the forks, shortening the dampeners and springs which will effectively cut the travel by more than half and lower the bike accordingly.

Firko
Really looking forward to learning all about this procedure.
Thanks for the info so far. Lovin it!
Chris

firko

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2009, 10:31:33 am »
Latest update: The frame's been powdercoated black and reassembly has begun. After some hard thought Pete's decided to paint the bike Green and white, using leftover paint from his Astro project, thereby keeping the bike within the budget.
Peters done all of the powdercoating and painting himself as well as doing all of the plating using a Janes home plating kit. Now that the news that the Nats is going ahead is in Pete's stepping up the pace. Stay tuned.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 10:33:10 am by firko »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2009, 10:46:03 am »
This is a great project. Pete does great work. Just wonder if the swingarm is up to a 465 on full noise tho. With the bracing for the monoshock removed it could be a bit of a flexy flier.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2009, 02:16:47 pm »
rule 18.5.0.4 d brakes
disc brakes as originally fitted by manufactures 

Read the rule before it 18.5.0.4 - A)    -  I assume B) is to claify it if you want to run an MX model in a DT class with modified out of period calipers.

I dont have an 09 moms on my desk but unless someone has changed the rules on period components its covered by that rule.

IF in Doubt refer to 18.6.0.2 and 03  - remember its not country or manufacturer specific, its DATE available, even TX 750's, Rd's etc had em in 73 if you want a represent a manufactureres model as a replica.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 02:21:32 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2009, 03:22:36 pm »
enjoy this subject firko. keep it coming

firko

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2009, 10:10:25 am »
Here's todays IZ465 update in Pete's own words:
"Cut down the dampers tonight. Took about 5" out which leaves the forks with 41/2" travel. The forks I was going to use were a bit shorter but one of the tubes had a flat in it so I had to use a spare set. The tubes sit about 21/2" above the top triple tree but there's not much I can do about that, and it doesn't look too bad. Standard YZ 465 forks are about an 1" out the top, so it's not much different. I can take a spacer out and let them sag a little which means I can drop them a bit, but I'll see how the stance is once everything is together. Went through my paint stock tonight and I found some blue and white so I think I'll go with that (1/2 IT, 1/2 YZ). Next thing is to polish the fork legs and then assemble them, in between paint drying, and build the front wheel. Getting close now."

mx250

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2009, 10:32:54 am »

Peters done all of the powdercoating ..... himself 
That's interesting; how much heat does it take and how long does it have to 'bake'?

firko

« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2009, 10:52:39 am »
Graeme, here's a line from an email from Peter.....
Waiting for the powder to dry only takes 15 minutes, and the plating takes 45 minutes, but it's cutting into the time lol.
I'm sure Peter can enlarge on that though..stay tuned.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 12:05:12 pm »
Hi Graeme,
I wasn't very specific to Firko - the frame is in enamel. I've powdercoated the footrests and brackets, gear lever, kickstarter, handlebar clamps etc. Powdercoating is great for these bits as it's quick, clean and produces a nice durable finish. After the part has been beadblasted and cleaned it's just a matter of applying the powder with the powdercoat gun and putting it in the oven at 400 deg F. Once the powder begins to flow, which only takes a minute or two, it takes about 15 minutes to cure. Once cured the part can be installed when it is cool enough to handle. I've just got an old St George oven that I use but a pie heater or similar that will go up to 400 deg would be fine.
Pete.