Author Topic: Budget flat tracker  (Read 18733 times)

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Budget flat tracker
« Reply #45 on: September 04, 2009, 08:18:19 am »
This is a great project. Pete does great work. Just wonder if the swingarm is up to a 465 on full noise tho. With the bracing for the monoshock removed it could be a bit of a flexy flier.
Thanks for the comment JC. I did have some concerns about the swingarm as well, but it looks fairly strong and is very solid around the axle slots, and won't be subjected to the punishment of motocross, so I'll give it a run and see how it goes. I may have to make up some gussets if it proves to flex too much,
Pete

firko

« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2009, 08:58:56 am »
Peters latest update :
"Forks are finished finally. The brake backing plate slot was worn so I had to build up the lug on the fork leg a little bit (have to get you to show me how to weld magnesium sometime). I've put the primary blue on the tank and seat, so next comes the light blue and white panels and then a coat of clear. I have finished most of the trinkets, so nothing really fiddly left to do. I have avoided making the spokes for the front wheel as it's a pain in the arse job, but I'll get on to it next. I'll drop the seat out to the motor trimmer this afternoon which should only take a day or two. I have a mate with a soda blaster who said he would do the motor for me, but he is having some problems so I may just clean it up and paint it. It really needs to go in soon as I have to finish the pipe mountings and muffler. With a bit of luck I should be able to give it a run next weekend to try and sort it before the titles.

Have to go to work now which is really cutting in to my bike building time!"

firko

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2009, 12:44:10 am »
Petes on a roll now. He's got some colour on the tank two tone blue and white, pretty cool I reckon. All it needs now is some stickers and a coat of clear and voila!.....one cool looking IZ 465 flat tracker. The engine finish is next, either soda blasting the cases or painting  and then finishing the pipe mount, lace a front wheel  and then put the whole thing back together. More soon.

mx250

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2009, 06:29:53 am »
Damn, he's shows as all up; in speed of construction, imagination, engineering; shit you name it and he's flogging us. :P

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2009, 09:14:21 am »
Yeah, sure does. Very talented. Wish I lived next door Pete!

firko

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2009, 10:07:16 am »
Peter is indeed a good bike builder. Since the very early days of vintage motocross and dirt track he's continually floored us with his beautifully built machines and original slant on their construction and looks. For a glimpse into the quality of his bikes, check out his faultless Bultaco Mk4 Boattail Pursang resto on pages 3,4,6 and 10 VMX magazine #10 and the beautiful Bultaco Astro he built for his daughter Kristy on page 24 of VMX #31. As well, Peter owns the almost legendary 'Yamaico' MX250 Yamaha powered Maico that he's raced spasmodically since the mid 90s. As well as being a builder of quality bikes Pete's a damn fast racer who unfortunately doesn't get to race as often as he'd like as he spends a good portion of his time in the USA in his job as an engineer. He's also a founding member of Klub Kevlar and a good bloke.

firko

« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2009, 11:20:22 am »
 The latest update in Peters words:
 finally finished the front wheel and got the engine painted. Back up on to the stand now for the final pipe fitup and muffler fabrication. Tomorrow afternoon I'll get some tank stickers and will be able to clear the tank and seat Tuesday afternoon, weather permitting. Once that's done its' just making cables and fitting everything up and hopefully giving it a run next weekend. If it all works out I'll be a week ahead of schedule - luxury.                    

firko

« Reply #52 on: September 10, 2009, 06:54:45 am »
TODAYS UPDATE FROM PETE
" Put the stickers on the tank and finally got some good enough weather to put the clear on. The pipe is finished and the muffler just needs to have the end cap made and then a mounting bracket and stay up to the seat loop made.. All the cables are made and fitted and the wiring is next. I made up a cable brake for the rear brake as the pipe would have been hard to tuck in with the brake rod there. I still have to make the brackets for the front number plate and then paint it and the side number plates. Still waiting on the seat from the motor trimmer, hopefully I'll get it before the weekend so I can give it a run. I'm still under the $1000 mark, but it's getting close. A can of chain lube might tip me over the edge"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2009, 12:20:43 pm »
For sale i have at least one spare copy of that yellow Yamaha tuners book as seen on the right of that bench, think it cover the "J" models, still i have a few differant Yamaha model Race tune books and they are the only ones i have ever seen with the Full colour foto's of the Spark plug visual chops, probally worht a scan and post next week if i remeber.

Over to the for sale section :O0
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2009, 02:29:44 pm »
IZ 465 FINISHED:
Peter's finished the budget project right on schedule. He took the bike for a ride up and down the road and declared it to be as quick as shit. Scary even! The bike took about 6 weeks to build using castoffs ald leftovers from old projects. Peter did nearly everything from welding, painting machining, electricals, cable making and nearly all of the other odd jobs in between.
The bike has come in under the proposed $1000 budget which proves that if you do as much work yourself this sport doesn't have to be expensive. Peter's also shown that just because your budget is low, your bike doesn't have to look like a piece of shit. A little forethought with paint and polish can produce a show standard bike for little outlay. Doc has proved that theory as well. Another point Pete's made with this bike is that it's OK to use a bit of artistic flair and build a hot rod. It's cool to venture outside the circle. How many people would pick the finished product as starting life as an IT465H? Not too many I'd reckon. The next episode in the progress of Peter Rowlands 'IZ' 465 will unfurl next weekend when it takes the track in the open evo and pre 80 class at the Raymond Terrace Nats.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 12, 2009, 03:01:23 pm »
super bitch'n 8)
that pipe looks as though it'll be a bit of a revver.
cool bike 8)
"flat bickie"

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 12, 2009, 03:03:46 pm »
Well Done Pete! I got a mate that could give you a run in buildin stuff real quick, witness Grasy's XL250 that won 25 lapper at Nepean recently-$500 piece of rubbish. Methinks it cost a bit more than a grand though, as a 4 stroke does.Grasy done it in a month also, hats off to youse.Its taken me 2 mths to prepare shit I already had.Love to see what ya doing next mth! 8)

DR

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2009, 10:13:14 am »
Been watching this thread with interest and Firko I am humbled you mentioned my name in the same paragraph as Peter but all I can say is WOW!  8) that bike looks absolutely spot on! I can only ever aspire ;)

firko

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2009, 11:54:43 am »
Doc, you've also shown that not only do you need to throw a shitload of money at a bike to get a decent result, you've also shown that with a bit of lateral thinking and elbow grease you can build a great looking bike. Like you, Peter uses a Janes plating kit to replate things like spokes and nuts bolts and little bits and bobs. My pet hate is people who go overboard with porting, exotic ignitions and trick pipes but leave their bikes with rusty rims and spokes, crap paint, mis matched parts and little attention to detail. These are the same people who jump up and defend vintage motocross when someone knocks our bikes as old shitboxes. I regualrly see some bikes at the races that I'd be ashamed to put on my trailer let alone admit I owned them. I believe presentation to be equally as important to performance. There are a couple of regulars on this forum who while being very nice people, their bikes look like wrecking yard fugitives. You and Peter have shown that there's no excuse for that attitude.

Offline suz125

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2009, 11:00:53 pm »
if it goes good, looks like shit and beats a show pony, then Nice!
if it looks likes shit and goes like shit, it is shit.
Whats wrong with a working class looking bike?

congratulations for building a good looking budget bike Peter btw
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 11:06:25 pm by suz125 »