Author Topic: Budget flat tracker  (Read 18734 times)

firko

Budget flat tracker
« on: August 17, 2009, 01:37:21 pm »
With all of the talk of big dolllar bikes becoming more and more common, I thought it'd be a good time to return to my favourite subject, budget vintage racers. Rather than going the expensive route of buying an already set up American aftermarket frame, my mate Peter is putting together an interesting little dirt track project using a basket case IT250 roller as the basis. So far the bike has cost Peter $630 which includes the $400 for the IT and the YZ465H engine. Apart from buying a new set of Magura levers he's found nearly everything in his and other peoples junk stashes. He was lucky that the engine was in good nick and needed little to get it in race trim.

The IT frame was stripped of all un needed brackets and gizmos and was deraked to 26 degrees to get it into a more dirt track attitude. A new rear subframe was made to mount the twin shocks. The stock IT swingarm lost it's cantilever brace and shock mount and twin shock mounts were also fitted. The monoshock was ditched in favour of the twin shock set up to enable Peter to set up the ride height more easily.An MX250 tank was used and Peter is currently building the seat/tail section and pipe and is lacing up a 19" front wheel. The forks will naturally also be shortened. Once finished the bike will be stripped and painted, polished and blinged up, in a similar manner to his previous el cheapo racer, the infamous 'Yamaico', Yamaha MX250 powered Maico.

Peters plan is to debut the bike at the Australian Classic Dirt Track Championships at Barleigh Ranch in September.

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Budget flat tracker
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 01:53:11 pm »
What class would it run in?
Couple of CR`s

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 02:15:17 pm »
mm pre 85.  what year a 465 ?
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:28:59 pm »
I'd assume it'd race in Evo open.

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:05:12 pm »
Thanks Firko you have renewed mt enthusiasm for my SP370 project. How difficult is it to de-rake the headstock? Who should i be talking to around SE Qld for such work? The SP has about 31 degrees and i was thinking of bringing it back to 27.

Cheers,
Steve
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

firko

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 12:07:06 am »

« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 12:15:53 am by firko »

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 08:19:43 am »
Nifty! ;D
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

mainline

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 06:03:00 pm »
you've got to love some backyard ingenuity ;)

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 10:35:15 pm »
Hi Firko, who is the brains behind that invention the keep it simple stupid (KISS threory),great to see the ease through pics rather then the explanation and easy for others to comprehend .

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 10:40:49 pm »
Simply brilliant!
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

firko

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 10:47:05 pm »
Hi Firko, who is the brains behind that invention
Peter Rowland is the builder. This thing'll be seriously competitive despite the low budget.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 01:24:31 am »
this give me something to do with a yz250g frame/swingarm i cant sell because the bottom h/stem gusset is rusted,1 variation to the theme is ill be using a cr250rz motor which was given to me

Firko do you have any more pics to show us with the tank off and joining of the top frame tube after the deraking

firko

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 11:48:42 am »
Here's todays upgrade as told by Peter:
Today's update. Back wheel built, seat foam fitted and shaped, number plates made, frame brackets for number plates and rear dirt shield installed, black box mounting box fabricated, tank mounts fabricated and installed, seat mounts made and installed, pipe design underway. Once pipe finished pull apart and paint. Still have to fully weld all the little brackets which I'll do when the frame is bare. Need to build the front wheel once it's all apart. Just over the $850 mark now and I only have to get the seat covered and get a chain and a couple of cables. Shouldn't be any more cost after that so it looks like it will come in under a grand - sweet.
I'll send a couple of photos tomorrow of the derake if you want to post them for TT5 Matt.

colmoody

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 06:06:41 pm »
Lookin good Firko, but unless a whole heap of Classic Dirt Track Racers get off there collective ars'es and enter for the Aust Champs at Raymond Terrace next month Peters idea of debuting the Budget Flat Tracker their could be in some doubt. Entrys close 28/8 but am hearing they may be prepared to extend the closing date for a few days. Not sure I understand the complacency. The club is keen as mustard but getting no support from the riders.

firko

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 06:23:44 pm »
I can't believe some vintage "racers" Col. We had record entrys at Conondale with a positive vibe all round, everybody as keen as shit. Now we have the other big event on the yearly calendar and the silence is deafening. I've asked a number of riders if they're going to the Dirt Track Nats and many of them gave mE the "I'm going up there to watch" answer. What's wrong with racing? Why do motocrossers ignore dirt track? It's almost as if it's below them.

Back in our day Col we raced dirt track and motocross with no bias towards either sport. It's what we did. Todays vintage prima donnas seem to think that dirt track is some sort of wank, not worthy of their presence. I get so disapointed with the current generation of vintage racing prima donnas. They're letting down the very clubs that have gone out on a limb to promote th Championship race just for them. All they ask is is for a some support back from the racers. Please, if you haven't entered the Nats, get your entry in ASAP.