Author Topic: Budget flat tracker  (Read 18735 times)

firko

Re: Budget flat tracker
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2009, 11:17:30 pm »
Whats wrong with a working class looking bike?
Nothing. It all depends on what you mean by working class? I could counter your question with what's wrong with trying that little bit harder to make your bike look presentable? I guess to some people it's the ride that's important and to others it's the bike.
It's a bit like wearing a dirty pair of overalls to a wedding.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2009, 11:18:26 pm »
Firko not every body can lace a wheel or weld a frame if you have some bloke that wants to start out and has no friends that are into old bikes the local bike shops will laugh at him if he said I need a part for my pre 75 bike.You have been around bikes for a long time and a lot of your friends would be the same not everybody has that advantage.jimson

PS I think Peter has done a great job the bike looks cool
Just a balless freak having a go

firko

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2009, 11:29:12 pm »
I'm not talking bling chrome and shiny paint here Jimson. I'm just saying that it's not hard to use a $4 spray can and a can of Simichrome polish to get what you've got a neat as possible. That's why I've tried to get the message accross that it's not the money you spend, it's the time you spend getting the little things as good as you can. Money and mechanical ability aren't a major factor.

Offline suz125

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2009, 11:30:02 pm »
if the bride and groom are wearing dirty overalls then so am I

I see your point firko, not trying to stir. But I do prefer to see solid working bikes that are rough than show ponies. if the bike works well and is at the pointy end of the field only then would i consider tarting her up(by pointy end I mean to the best of the ability of the rider and bike). Young families affect time available as well

Scott

p.s. Jimson, I have never laced a wheel until last week. i had a go, got it close and then asked for help truing the up and had it all sorted. Thanks Lozza. Never will I be handing off this work in the future. The best way is to jump in and swim. Don't be afraid to ask some of the older road race guys for a hand if you need to either, some of them are pretty handy.

p.p.s If anyone wants a wheel laced or trued I am a 5 minute expert now, so pm your jobs you want done ;D

mx250

« Reply #64 on: September 14, 2009, 07:03:56 am »
if it looks likes shit and goes like shit, it is shit.
No, no, no; it just has untapped potential  ;) ;D.

DR

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2009, 04:26:41 pm »
I'm very much biased in regards to the presentation of my bikes/projects regardless of their worth, potential or desirability. A detail is one of the cheapest things you can do and you may even notice that crack in the frame or rim before it goes all pear shaped ;)

mainline

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2009, 07:41:34 pm »
A really beautiful bike. Obviously Peter has a good eye.

I think that is where some project go awry, and where money spent doesn't end up meaning anything in the end.

Doc's bikes look great because he has an eye for proportion, detail, etc. like Peter. The money thing is in some ways irrelevant. Obviously, both guys in question (and apologies if this is making anyone feel uncomfortable) like doing their own work (and have the ability) and know how to get it looking right.

Others may not like, or have the time to do their own work (or the know-how) but still manage to get the whole package looking right because they know what looks right and farm the work out to people who can do it properly.

Anyway, love the bike. Has me thinking about a flat track bike as a future project. I've got a spare YZ125 I can chop up ;D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 08:12:15 pm by mainline »

hotdog1975

« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2009, 12:20:23 pm »
Well done Peter..great bike. Good luck with the nats...

Let us know how you go.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2009, 08:17:07 pm »
Thanks to everyone who's taken the time to follow this thread. I appreciate the encouragement and support. Special thanks to Firko for posting the progress reports. It's been a fun project, but I might try and allow a little more time on the next one. I'm not really expecting too much from the bike on it's first outing, as I haven't had a chance to sort it out and it's a bit of an unknown quantity, but I am looking forward to the weekend, particularly catching up with everyone and having a few cool drinks on Saturday night,
Pete.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2009, 08:20:45 pm »
G'day Peter your bike looks real nice  8)  what did you make the seat base out of ? and how did you attach the seat to the base ? jimson

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2009, 08:47:31 pm »
Hi Jimson,
The seat base is just made from body steel welded together and the seat is 2mm aluminium sheet with some high density foam from Clark rubber. I secured the seat to the base using nutserts into the aluminium sheet, which, if you haven't seen them, are threaded cylinders which are installed using a tool similar to a pop rivet gun. Sheet metal workers use them - they're really good for putting a thread in any thin gauge material. I also used them for the number plate mounts and rear dirt shield mounts.
Pete.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:49 pm »
Peter the under side of the seat base is that metal to metal as in the seat base sitting on the frame or did you put a under lay of rubber under it and is the base fixed to the frame by the bolt that holds the fuel tank and a bolt on the middle of the rear loop sorry for all the questions just geeting ideas.jimson

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2009, 10:03:36 pm »
Hi Jimson,
I 've got strips of 6mm thick insertion rubber between the seat base and the frame loop. The front doesn't mount on the tank mount, it's got its own mounting point and there is another one at the rear of the frame loop. Both of these mounts also have rubber washers between them and the seat. It's all nice and solid, with the rubber just dampening it a little,
Pete.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2009, 08:37:18 pm »
Thanks Peter I like your project and the way it turned out. Thanks for the inspiration. jimson

hotdog1975

« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2009, 03:19:16 pm »
Any news/photos on how this beasty performed..??