Author Topic: Budget flat tracker  (Read 18746 times)

colmoody

Re: Budget flat tracker
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 07:33:40 pm »
Firko not sure if heard it or read it somewhere on the VMX forum that maybe that it is a bit close to Connondale and maybe money/time is an issue for some (it would be for me) but what I cant understand is that Newcastle and the Hunter generally has always kind of been the hub of Dirt Track in NSW and I honestly thought they would be coming out of the woodwork. Maybe someone can enlighten us. If VMX is your go and you have'nt given Dirt Track a go it's easy on the bike and easy on the body and a ton of fun. So come on in "the waters fine".

firko

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 11:38:27 pm »
Here's a couple more shots of Pete's Yamahas steering head mods. Note the gusset.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 01:12:46 am »
thanks for the extra pics Firko thats doable down at my local tafe metal fab shop [Kevs sponpership]

beening new to dirt tracking whats the go with 19 inch front wheels/tyres  over the 21 inch?and what about the back tyre as well?

firko

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2009, 12:58:33 am »
Petes started on the pipe. He's using the dimensions of a DG pipe but pointing down instead of up.

The wheel choice is a personal one Matt. Peters using a 21" in the above bike but I'm using a 19"on my Benelli 650 to achieve the flat tracker look more than anything. If the track is hard packed and oiled like in the US and they used to be here the 19" with a Maxxis or Goodyear dirt track tyre works great but on todays loose dirt tracks the 21" seems to work better. On the rear the 18" Michelin or similar trials tyre seems to be the go on our tracks.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2009, 12:39:02 pm »
YEp what he said, unless its a show bike and its a pre 75 and you want the look,  going racing you will need the 21 - 18, but drop the forks down until they hit the underside of your bars.

Here are the usual 4 - 19" choices for you - these  girls are on 19" , my trackmaster ( purple one ) on speedways, white one has carlsie rear and goodyear front and my 51 bike is on the Pirelli MT53.   The carlise and pirelli have ended up the best of them, for some reason its like an early trails intermediate pattern but seems to stick but also cuts through dirt soft track ( afternoon heats) the speed way sucks unless you have the HP to drive it and the goodyears just look cool, but alas when the tracks chopped up you just bog down or they float off course.

Like firko said its a given, 18 with a Michiein if you serious, plus proberly cheaper in the long run if you doing a budget run and you get more satisfaction.

next year im doing a rejigg and the race bike will be on other rims, and ill re shod these 19" with there orignal fat tyres for show - display events.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 01:37:26 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2009, 03:01:27 pm »
how do you get awat with dics brakes as it has to be oem as per ma gcr to have them .your bikes are not oem.same as cliffs hagon they use other parts to make the bikes up.hagon make frame other people supply the motors.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2009, 04:43:47 pm »
Freaky
how come you dont run front brakes and whats with heavy rear disc brakes when a light drummy would do?

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 05:22:03 pm »
If you recall Bris mcc tried to have "double the dirt" last year and it fell on its arse, this year though we all got there and had a hoot. The 'flat trackers' got some very good competition from the 'flat crosser'.
We'll be back next yr for sure. Actually looking at a XS650 flat tracker.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 06:18:55 pm »
are you putting pillion pegs on EML?

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2009, 11:23:10 am »
Nope, I'll put Popeye on it- it'll be like a pimple on a melon and go like faaark, power to weight ratio of 101:1

firko

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2009, 07:12:38 pm »
Here are the usual 4 - 19" choices for you - these  girls are on 19" , my trackmaster ( purple one ) on speedways, white one has carlsie rear and goodyear front and my 51 bike is on the Pirelli MT53.   The carlise and pirelli have ended up the best of them, for some reason its like an early trails intermediate pattern but seems to stick but also cuts through dirt soft track ( afternoon heats) the speed way sucks unless you have the HP to drive it and the goodyears just look cool, but alas when the tracks chopped up you just bog down or they float off course.
The whole trouble with these American style flat trackers is that they don't hook up on our style of track surface, no matter what tyre you use. When I was racing my Champion SC500 I tried everything as Freaky has described. When I got the bike it had 19" Carlilses all round but I went to a Dunlop trials 18" rear and it was an improvement. I tried a 21" by accident after I got a flat on the 19" Carlilse and it turned shitloads better but I didn't like the 'look'. Not that that should have anything to do with it but I'm a bit of a show pony with my bikes and I wanted the bike to remain true to its American heritage so the 19" went back on. I sold the bike to Edgar Phipps and I believe he has kept the 19" but has a 3.50 trials universal tyre on it. He improved the handling a lot by gussetting the flimsy Champion swingarm but it looks shitty by my eye.
Both Jonesy and I are building flat trackers, he his 850 Nourish Redline and me my 650 Benelli/Trackmaster (sort of).
Both of us want to keep the 19" American wheel look but with the way out tracks are, we're up against it tyre wise. I'm using 19" Morris mag wheels with my trusty old Carlilse on the front and a Maxxis on the rear. So is Jonesy but he's got a 21" front on his Redline, as does Pete with his 465 Yamaha project. Alans lacing up a 19" just to cover himself though.
He recently tried a Maxxis on Black Betty at Nepean and reports that it sucked. He's going to do some serious regrooving before the Nats to try and get some drive but I doubt it'll work on Raymond Terrace and reckon he'll revert to his Barum Speedway tyre or Michelin trials. It all comes down to looks in the end. If you want to keep the bikes looking authentic like Freakys nice little collection they won't really be competitive. To really hook up on a dirt track I reckon a motocross style 21/18 setup works far better but doesn't look so good. Because I'm an old slow poke and not building the bike to win titles, I'll go with the looks. Here's the Maxxis s pattern flat track tyre on Black Betty.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2009, 07:20:34 pm »
i think black betty had plenty of wheel spin at nepean pre75 day.over 50s race i out gated him. i was 4th approaching the 1st corner and all i could hear was ajs esso reving it titts off behind me.i was on the 250 elsinore which is no slow bike.
cheers
jim

firko

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2009, 10:35:39 pm »
 My mate Mike Middleton showing that big fellas can have fun on a flat tracker. Here he is at the recent Chowchilla Short Track in California on his Triumph. Long term vintage motocrossers will remember Mike from his visit here for the '92 Ravenswood Nats where he won pre 65 on his showpiece BSA 750 Metisse. This Triumph is his deraked stock framed  'budget' racer Triumph Bonneville. Mike also races a trick framed Honda CRF 450 in the Expert Vet class.

firko

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2009, 10:30:47 am »
Getting the thread back on the subject, here's the latest update on Peter Rowlands Yamaha YZ/IT 465 flat tracker. Pete's nearly finished the pipe which uses DG dimensions and is about to start making the muffler. Once that's done he's getting into the forks, shortening the dampeners and springs which will effectively cut the travel by more than half and lower the bike accordingly. The bike will then be totally dismantled and painted, polished and detailed before reassembly. As you can see Peter doesn't shop much (any!)of his work out, preferring to do it all himself. This 'Jack of All Trades' attitude will bring the total cost of the bike in for around a thousand bucks. The bike will fit in perfectly with his infamousYamaha powered Maico the 'Yamaico' and his daughter Kristys green Bultaco Astro VMX feature bike. His attention to detail and quality work also saw his red Bultaco Mk4 "Boattail" Pursang featured in VMX#10.
Stay tuned for the next exciting episode........

Offline 52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2009, 12:16:53 pm »
great project Peter-an good on ya Firko for doing the feature.How strong is classic flat-track in US,Firko? Be great to go over and ride an event over there. 5 riders went from Griffith Club some years ago.Would our bikes be suitable?