Author Topic: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto  (Read 41512 times)

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 11:30:20 am »
Hi, well, i got the old girl running for a youtube vid.

http://youtu.be/vfNTFSHN4Is

Cheers,
Alex
dont strip and paint! shes more inpresive in its found state, we all know how hard this is to find HEY :o

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 07:15:26 pm »
I have always looked after my bikes and love to have them running well and looking pristine.  I wont be molesting the rm but i do want her looking great.  I have just spent 12 hours on the plastics.  Still original but cleaned up, protected and with the original decal back on the rear mudguard.
They are not painted or anything,  just buffed and some plastic renew applied.  The number backgrounds are not painted on, just decals like the originals.

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 07:18:35 pm by alexbrown64 »

Simo63

« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 07:20:11 pm »
I have always looked after my bikes and love to have them running well and looking pristine.  I wont be molesting the rm but i do want her looking great.  I have just spent 12 hours on the plastics.  Still original but cleaned up, protected and with the original decal back on the rear mudguard.
They are not painted or anything,  just buffed and some plastic renew applied.  The number backgrounds are not painted on, just decals like the originals.

Cheers,
Alex

Nice .. we need a "LIKE" button because I'm liking that a lot Alex :)

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2014, 08:29:50 pm »
Looks and sounds GREAT Alex!! I would love to get hold of an RM80T or X, which were my first 2 80's.
Will have to catch up some day and get the old bikes together  :D

Rod Gilchrist

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2014, 08:55:43 pm »
Lovely bike Alex ,thanks for posting results from back in the day ........Was a quick day that one.....I was a desparate man haha Great memories :-0
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2014, 10:57:14 am »
Hey Rod, myself and a few of the boys will hopefully be looking at some Pre85 stuff next year so might see you then.  I have a project building up a YZ125K to Yamaha Race Report specs.  My website.... www.yz125k.weebly.com
Richo, just purchased a new project that will need its own thread soon.  Its over east but will be heading to Perth soon...
Have already ordered new spoke kits, decals, seat cover, front number plate, and chain tensioner parts.....

Offline malcolm1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2014, 09:27:13 pm »
Hi Alex and members, I have my RM80B and was able to get all new original plastics NOS from Suzuki. All I need to finish the bike is the original back tyre - not a critical issue but if anyone knows where I can get one would be very appreciated - if someone has a pic of the tyre would be great also
Thanks!
P.S. I also have a 100% non molested CR125RZ from 1979 (original tyres, sprockets, everything) and also a showroom RM125B

Cheers and thanks
Mal

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 01:01:29 am »
Hey Mal,
Well done on the B plastics.  Did you manage to get the front number plate?  Those suckers are rare.  I will take a close up pic of the rear tire on my B and also give you all the details on it, as it is still the original one on there from the showroom in 1977.  My B also has the original chain and when i went to take it off to buff it up i couldn't as it is peened on with a rivet link. 
Sounds like you have a nice bike collection going there too!!  Didnt the Honda have a 23 inch wheel that year?
Cheers,
Alex
P.S, You should post up a pic of the B

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 08:10:43 am »
NICE RM 80N Alex ......you could do a Richo replica on that haha Lay the shocks down and a set of Gold DG rims with thick spokes...cool as :-)
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 11:11:49 am »
I have a DG muffler coming for it Richo as it has one from a ford falcon at the moment.  Also, there are new silver Renthal bars coming, new chain and sprockets, a swag of original bolts, complete chain tensioner setup, fork seals, front plate, grips, brakes, levers, cables etc.  Its another bike that hasnt been run in a while but this one has been thrashed a bit.  Not all original but will be nice to do up and get the boy on for a bit of riding.  If the shocks are knackered then Rod at http://www.radmotorcycleshockyrepairs.com.au/ can rebuild any old sealed shocks. He has already given me a quote.
Below is a few pics of the original tyres on my RM80B.  Not sure if you can still get them Mal but that's what they came with in 1977 in Australia.

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 11:13:56 am »
those tyres are gold.... ;)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »
Thanks Husky, the tyres are in great shape. 
After i tucked the kids in, i  ducked down to the shed and stripped the bike down to the frame.  I'll take some pics but things are a bit rough up close.  Swingarm, shocks, pegs, bars, and exhaust, head and cylinder definitely need a blast and paint.  Frame is ok and i may just give it a good clean and touch up a few areas.   Spokes, nuts and bolts to get cleaned and re-plated.  Chain is still in one piece as it is riveted together but is in a bucket of degreaser and will get the wire wheel buffing treatment.  I only have to replace about 4 small bolts on the whole bike due to previously rounded heads etc..
Pics to come...

Offline malcolm1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 08:10:58 am »
Thanks Alex - I'll gather some pics soon, I have bike in storage but will take it out for a blast soon. That back tyre brings back memories, we were riding BMX bikes when a kid in our town turned up with a spanking new RM80B - our jaws literally hit the ground - he took each of us for a ride on the back and I clearly remember that back tyre spinning the gravel while one of my mates started yelling and crying as he was so scared of the acceleration! lol

Offline malcolm1

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2014, 08:13:22 am »
Re the front numberplate - unfortunately I couldn't get hold of one - possibly by now they have an excellent as new quality NOS? Cheers

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2014, 02:33:10 pm »
Yeah Mal, those front plates.... ive got one coming from DC which is a mini front plate with brackets in rm colour.  Once i add the black number background it should be a nice replacement.  I wont get to anal over it.  Bike has everything else so i am happy. 
Anyway, popped into the shed and took a few snaps. 
As you can see below, from a distance the bike looks great but up close reveals some worn and rusty bits.  They are not eaten away but just 35 years of general wear and surface rust.  Anyway, these parts are the worst and the rest just need a touch up.  The muffler probably copped the worst corrosion on the bike.  Its is still in excellent condition but has a few small bits that have really corroded through.  No worries.... after a good blast and clean, i will Devcon the affected area.  This stuff is used in the mines to patch worn metal parts so im sure my rm80 wont mind.  Anyway, i dont want to get weld or get any heat on it as it may warp.  Stand by for the results....

I will be using my new blaster below... and the products that are sitting on it.  I have tested the spray products for colour and durability etc and they seem great.  I may powder coat some bits but these products will work fine with some as well.

The chain looked really bad and it is the original one from 77 so to me it was invaluable.  It is riveted together so i kept it in one piece and soaked it... then i test buffed a small section.  D.I.D 428 and it will come up nicely.  I will finish it off then give it a light grease with that white stuff that the new bikes come with and it should look showroom.

OK, the tank.  This was the one bit that i have been mulling over as it is the original paint job with original decals etc... But have a look at the pic and you can see the corrosion and this would be best to fix.  I am going to remove the 3 original warning decals and save them on a clear contact sheet together with the vin decal.  I have some OEM Suzuki decals and the 3 repro warning decals and i would like to get the tank repainted and clear coated withe all the new decals.  Its a compromise but the tank should outlast me then...

Bike may have to take a back seat for a while as i have all my other stuff i have to do.. but its hard not to duck down to the shed.........
Cheers,
Alex