Author Topic: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto  (Read 41492 times)

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2014, 11:08:28 am »
That is a stunning RM 80 B Alex!!!!!!
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 01:32:47 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys.  Its starting to come along now.  I have most of it back together except tank, muffler, throttle and grips. I have been kicking it over to check spark but now it doesnt have one.  Would this be from all the powder coat on the frame?  Is the coil and/or cdi unit supposed to be grounded to the frame? There are two engine kill switch wires.  One is hardwired into the switch and goes into a plug in the harness.  The other is a loose wire and i think i have it correct.  I have it on the kill switch handlebar strap and then running to the cdi unit fastening bolt on the steering stem.  Does that sound right?   I will have to work my way through it all but any ideas would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Alexs

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 01:38:05 pm »
not sure about the electrics on the B but I did have that exact issue on my CR250M after powdercoating and had to grind a section of coat off to ensure proper earthing.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2014, 04:37:05 pm »
yup..can cause electrical issues. Ideally an engine mount and a coil mount should have the powder coating removed. From memory the cdi has an earth wire so this contact should also be mounted to bare metal. If not a cdi mount may also need the same treatment ;) 

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 09, 2014, 08:06:42 pm »
Ok, got a nice big fat blue spark  back.  It was powdercoat on the frame where the coil bolts on. 
The project is nearly finished.  The tank is ready to get painted.  I have also removed a side cover as that is going with the tank so the colour can get matched up better.
As you can see from the pics below..the muffler was in a bit of disrepair.  I baked it for a few hours to get all the moisture out and to help prevent future rust.  Then i buffed it all back and applied some industrial Devcon.  The hard part was smoothing it ready for painting.  I used 280C case paint in several layers of paint and sanding to get an acceptable finish.  Came up OK considering.

I have assembled the bike as far as i can go until  the tank is done.  I am quite happy with the results so far.  It should start and run nicely when the tank is on and it has some fuel.
OK, details.... as i was putting it all together i measured and checked the piston.  It is still the original and compression is very good.  I have reconditioned the original chain, sprockets, hand grips, tyres, seat cover, tubes, levers, spokes, nipples, cables etc... as it came with off the show room floor in 1977. Even the original handlebars were restraightened and painted.  What i have replaced is the paint and decals, swingarm bushes, 4 x exhaust springs, half a dozen nuts and bolts, front number plate, spark plug, airfilter and rim tapes.  I still have the original 4 exhaust springs and may put those back on but i have to blast and paint them.  The only part i was undecided about was the hand grips.  They are the original ones but were a bit shabby.  I used a black rubber repair kit to repair the cracks and have put them back on.  It doesnt give the bike the "new" look but it adds to it originality.  Below is the bike as of 9th October 2014, 37 years after it was made and still running strong.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2014, 08:14:34 pm »
And here are some of the pics again a bit bigger... and i have just realized i used 2 of the original exhaust springs on the front.  Its just that they are zinc coated instead of the original black, as they accidentally went to the zinc coaters with all the other parts...

Cheers,
Alex

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2014, 08:15:57 pm »
Beautiful bike Alex,top job.......we should have a mini GP when they are all done haha Richo
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 10:49:55 pm »
Ride It??? check out the post from popeye about adults and mini bikes.... ;D

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 10, 2014, 07:43:47 am »
Awesome job!

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 26, 2014, 07:16:51 pm »
Well, finally the 1977 RM80B is completed.  I just got the tank back from RedAlert Rod this boxing day and what a job he did.  I gave him an OEM side cover that had been reconditioned and he took it in to a professional paint shop for matching.  It came up with an exact match for Rolls Royce Colour Code: 9520131 Ext Code: # Year: 93 - 93 Colour Desc: SAFFRON YELLOW.  Unbelievable that Rolls Royce would pick an 77 RM80 to base one of their expensive car colours on but there you go!! ;-)  Anyway, Rod did the panel work, primer, base and 2 pak clear with matching decals and it is perfect.  Anyone wanting to restore one of these can rest assured that the decal measurements provided in this thread and the colour matching is spot on to OEM originals.  I fitted everything up except a fuel petcock for now and did a photo shoot.  Even i am stunned at how good it all came out. 

The bike is totally original except that elusive front number plate.  The tyres, grips, chain, sprockets, seat cover etc are the same ones from 1977.  The piston is still original standard size with good compression.  Bike runs really well as per YouTube video.. see link in this thread.

I would like to thank Dave from Adelaide who sold me a good genuine bike.
Also like to thank RedAlert for really putting the finishing touch on the bike with such a good job on the tank.

Hope you enjoy the pics and the memories...
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Slider29

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 26, 2014, 08:00:17 pm »
That is just bloody fantastic Alex. Well done.
regards  Mark

Offline Doc

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #71 on: December 26, 2014, 09:11:48 pm »
That is just bloody fantastic Alex. Well done.
regards  Mark
Ditto that. Are you going to run the chain tensioner?

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 26, 2014, 10:08:07 pm »
Doc, from the pics i have seen, parts manual and info i have gathered, i am of the understanding that the chain tensioner on the B was an option. Its not even on the new one in the test in ADB mag from 1977.   I built one up for the RM80N using all OEM parts and it will be great on that as it will be ridden.  But for this old girl that wont be ridden, i probably wont put one on.  I wouldnt ride it without one as i think chain derailments were a common thing back in the day.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 26, 2014, 11:44:13 pm »
that visit must be getting closer - that is a joy to see  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 26, 2014, 11:50:47 pm »
Absolutely magnificent Alex.......I love it !!!!! Well done .
SOME BIKES AND CARS