Author Topic: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto  (Read 41500 times)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2014, 03:46:10 pm »
Hey Saint.  I did buy that plate and it is on the bike in one of the pics near the beginning of the post.  The bloke that makes them is a good guy and i talked him into making that yellow Suzuki mini bike one as he normally does larger ones or white Yamaha ones. Its pretty good but i have got a another one on order which is a bit closer i think.  Its here:   https://www.dcvmx.com/xcart/product.php?productid=186885&cat=263&page=2 and has a lip and mounting brackets that are a bit more like the original.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2014, 11:15:35 pm »
Update.  Well, the bike has been coming along slowly but steadily.  The frame and bits went to get blasted, galv undercoated and gloss black powder coated. Pic of the bits before.

And below is the frame and most of the bits back from the powdercoaters. The swingarm is still there as i had to get the bushes pressed out.

I used the Bunnings blaster at home to test its use with soda from Supercheap.  Seems to work OK.  I took the paint off the triple clamp with some paint stripper and then blasted it with the soda to clean it up.  I have now painted it with some satin black epoxy.  Pics show before and after.  I also did a test on the brake hub.  It only took a few seconds with the soda to strip the paint off the small test section.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2014, 12:23:28 am »
Just a quick update.  The soda blasting was a failure.  Just didnt do much.  I tipped it out and put the grit that came with the cabinet in and used that.  Works pretty good and because its only a home unit, its not to abrasive on the alloy stuff.  I picked up all the zinc parts today.  Put the forks and handlebars back on and put the shocks back together.  The swingarm.... took it to the powdercoaters, couldnt do it because of the rubber bushes.... got those pressed out, back to the powdercoaters.... they did it in satin black.....back to the powder coaters...ok this time so back to the shop to get the bushes pressed back in... wait 2 days then told bushes are shot.... hopefully pick swingarm up tomorrow with new bushes and then i can mount it with the shocks.. wheeewww.

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:40 pm »
Well, ive been plodding along with the resto, doing a bit here and there.  Swingarm is still fighting me all the way.  The new bushes were pressed in a few millimeters too far so i had to do a little grinding to get them too fit.  I had trouble getting the swingarm bolt in due to powdercoat build up. I finally got it all bolted up then realized i had it upside down.  Anyway... its all good now.  Below is a pic of progress so far.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2014, 11:34:00 am »
Looking great Alex,shes going to be a beauty ! I have a mate with 2 or 3 RM80Bs and Cs of which he is going to let me have one of them.He restores them too better than new.I will be getting a roughie to do myself.Keep up the good work .Regards Richard.
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2014, 03:28:09 pm »
looks real good - keep the updates coming
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2014, 06:47:12 pm »
Upside down!! that's something only I could do ;D :D

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2014, 07:14:17 pm »
Lucky you Richo if you can score a nice RM80.  My RM80N gets here on the 16th Oct.  Have a nice lot of goodies for it.  Hope to get the B done soon, get it running and then bring her into the mancave.  I'll keep the updates coming guys and try not to get any more part bolted on upside down.  Blasted, prepped and painted the hubs in satin epoxy.  Looks nice and i will let them cure a few days before trying to lace the freshly zinc plated original spokes and nipples.
I also cleaned, sanded and painted the bottom half of the engine and cases today.  I used VHT case paint.  Says you can touch it in 3 hours but it fully cures in 7 days.  Will probably put the engine in the frame tomorrow and then prep and paint the cylinder and head and bolt those on.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2014, 10:19:11 pm »
TANK:
OK, after much deliberation on whether to keep the tank original or recondition it, i decided to recondition it.  Take a look at the pics below and you will see why.  I don't think the original paint jobs from Suzuki were very good quality so over the years, the rust gets  in and attacks the tank from under the paint.  Anyway, as the tank had all the original decals in place, i took measurements and have posted them up for future reference.  I also managed to save the decals onto a contact sheet and will store them away.  I used paint stripper to strip the paint off, then blasted the surface rust off and sanded it back.  It is still in really good nick and like new inside but the surface rust was terrible under the paint.  Anyway, i left a small patch of good paint on top that was under a decal and use that to get a perfect match.  It is going to get a new paint job with original Suzuki decals and aftermarket identical warning decals.  Then hope to clear coat it.  That should give it the protection it needs for  the next 40 years.
Below is the tank decal measurements...

More measurements for the warning decals

Original warning decals saved to a contact sheet including the 650cc oil decal thats below the oil filler cap on the sidecover...

Below is the surface rust that was under the paint...

And finally, the tank stripped of paint using paint stripper, then blasted and sanded.  A small good patch of paint has been left on top to get a perfect paint match.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2014, 10:25:04 pm »
some serious work going on here ;)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2014, 10:35:40 pm »
There is Husky.  I thought if i could document all this stuff then it will help future restorers of rm80b's.  Plus, its good fun.  Wheels go back on the bike tomorrow.  They are in the bike shop getting the tyres put back on. Respoking them was fun and a learning curve.  Blasted and painted the hubs, replated the spokes and nipples and cleanded up the chrome rims.  The hubs, spokes, nipples, bearings, tyres and tubes are all original from 1977 but the rim tapes were perished so i had to get new ones.  Pics coming soon....

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2014, 06:56:11 am »
I like that you've respoked a wheel but get the shop to put a tyre on.... ;D

I can change a tyre in 10 mins but I couldn't respoke a wheel to save myself :o

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2014, 11:20:09 pm »
Yes Husky, i have it back to front.  On my XR500R, i had the wheels rebuilt then i tried to put a new back tyre on.  Ended up wrecking the tyre and scratching the newly anodized rim.  I steer clear of tyres now.
Anyhow, the little B is coming along.  I installed the wheels and refitted the chain etc.. The chain i buffed then soaked in kero then used white chain lube to protect it.  Also put the engine in and gear lever on.

Everything is fitting perfectly so far.  Its like putting a new bike together.  Up to this point the only new parts i have had to fit are the two swingarm bushes and two rim tapes as well as two or three nuts and bolts.  Next is to give the head and cylinder a clean and paint and install them.

Cheers,
Alex

Offline VINDURO

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
    • VINDURO
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2014, 11:31:24 pm »
Really 'top-notch' work Alex.

Great to see you going to the 'enth degree to bring this bike back to it's former self.

It's looking amazing.

Top work mate.

Cheers

Jock