Author Topic: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto  (Read 41522 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Suzuki RM80B Barn Find Resto
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »
I am a little bit (read a lot) jealous of this buy - aside from a YZ80C I would of killed for one of these compared to my XR75 in the day.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 06:43:11 pm »
OK, i wanted to get her started.  Took the advice on here and got to work.  Tank off.  Clean as a whistle inside...like new, shiny.  Just cleaned the tap filter and that part was done.  Took the seat off.  Amazed at the condition.  Paint is like new.  Checked the air filter.  What airfilter?  It had turned to dust.  Cleaned it all out, airbox, boot etc.. I have a new OEM pre oiled filter but have decided to leave it off for now.  Next is the carby.  Stripped it down, cleaned it up and good to go.  I had a kit for it but only used the float bowl gasket.  Checked the float height.  All Ok. Drain the engine oil....looks clean and red but thick. I replace it with 650cc of the good stuff.  There is even a tiny silver sticker still on there that says 650cc.   I took the plug out and put a bit of 2T oil down there and worked it in.  No noises and felt smooth.  Time to check the spark.  New plug in the cap and give her a kick.  Nice blue spark.  Lets put her back together and see what she'll do. Some fresh premix, set the air screw, pull on the choke and give her a kick.  I believe the bike hasnt been started for around 12-16 years... just stuck in the back of the barn. 

Anyway... a couple of kicks and she cracks into life.  Crisp as a lettuce... runs like a dream... that stinger buzzing like a chain saw.  I gave it a rev for a minute and set the idle... idles well.  Gave the clutch a few pulls in and out and then snicked it into gear.  No worries... smooth as butter... went for a buzz around the back garden a few times to annoy the neighbors and shut her down.  Big grin on my face...couldn't ask for more.  I'll start her up a few more times then it will be time for the cosmetic restoration.  Its already in great condition and just needs some paint and zinc plating.
Cheers,
Alex

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 10:46:08 am »
Great news, Im as jealous as hell, but good onya sounds like it couldnt have gone to a better home ;)

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2014, 11:32:32 am »
Awesome Alex Im chasing one as well I had the RM 80B,Jeff Leisks RM 80C and an RM80N which I won the final State round in juniors at Wanneroo in 1979 I was number 65 you were 268 ? from memory ;-)
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2014, 01:16:54 pm »
Thanks guys, yes it has gone to a good home.  Wont even let my 9 year old ride it.  Its going in the man cave.  Richo, of course i remember.  That was a hard series.  Not sure if you have the program but i will put up the results for you below.  You did well that day.... first overall.  Yes, your RM80N's were fast but the YZ80F was just as good that year.
I remember Jeff riding that C at Byford. Crossed up and wheeling around the corner and onto the main straight.  Couldnt believe it. 

Cheers,
Alex

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2014, 11:23:48 am »
Update: I'm going to make a small youtube video of the bike running before i tear it down.  Should post that up soon for those that remember what a little buzz bomb these things were.
I removed the black number plate decals and revealed a glowing yellow colour.  I got some 220 wet and dry and rubbed up some  of the very faded yellow area's and an oxidized gummy stuff started to come off and the new yellow colour appeared from underneath.  I wont paint these plastics.  I just need to get stuck in and sand them and polish them to new condition.
Bike starts first kick now and idles even when cold.  Runs like a dream.
Reconditioning to start soon.

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 11:17:12 am »
Update: I'm going to make a small youtube video of the bike running before i tear it down.  Should post that up soon for those that remember what a little buzz bomb these things were.
I removed the black number plate decals and revealed a glowing yellow colour.  I got some 220 wet and dry and rubbed up some  of the very faded yellow area's and an oxidized gummy stuff started to come off and the new yellow colour appeared from underneath.  I wont paint these plastics.  I just need to get stuck in and sand them and polish them to new condition.
Bike starts first kick now and idles even when cold.  Runs like a dream.
Reconditioning to start soon.
:) ;)

Simo63

« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 11:50:08 am »
Hi Alex. I am a pretty keen collector of bikes and cars and I have to firstly congratulate you on this awesome find, well done.

My comments to you are similar to discussions I've had with car restorers and that is, they are only original once. I know its your bike and acknowledge you can do whatever you like with it but to me a survivor bike like your RM80 is far more valuable in original, unrestored condition.  I hope that you keep the bike original :)

Cheers
Simo

Offline shelpi

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 12:02:40 pm »
Hi Alex. I am a pretty keen collector of bikes and cars and I have to firstly congratulate you on this awesome find, well done.

My comments to you are similar to discussions I've had with car restorers and that is, they are only original once. I know its your bike and acknowledge you can do whatever you like with it but to me a survivor bike like your RM80 is far more valuable in original, unrestored condition.  I hope that you keep the bike original :)

Cheers
Simo
Here here, if ya want a garage queen ya can always get some other dog parts and go hard and leave the originals safe some where ;) best of 2 worlds

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 12:37:09 pm »
     + 3 - original survivor bike's like that are GOLD  ;)

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 01:48:40 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  I am not replacing anything on the bike.  The grips are from 1977 and have some small tears.  I have some black rubber shoe repair goo from America to restore them.  The original tires are staying on and even the chain is staying.  Everything is original and staying..... but i would like to bring her back a little and get her looking smart.  Hence i want to replate the spokes and all the zinc plated stuff.  I want to give the plastics a buff up and protect them.  I guess the only thing i will be mucking with is the paint as this will keep it pristine and protected for another 35 years.  I have only replaced the float bowl gasket and airfilter as they were perished. 
Cheers

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 02:13:56 pm »
     + 3 - original survivor bike's like that are GOLD  ;)

especially a mini. normally passed on and ridden into the ground over many years.

low hour bike are generally big bores
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »
Gotta agree, I wouldn't touch it too much. That's a really neat time capsule, nice find! 8)

Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

Offline 80-85 husky

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 07:34:07 pm »
Alex, I have a similar but not as pristine bike but seriously think about not fixing those things and just put a new airfilter in it. the potential for realising some investment dollars later will be worth it. you have found a gem, once you renovate it to suit you its no longer everyone else's gem. id leave it "as is" and park it up. face it, it could be a nice boost in 10 years time to a more important project...kids uni or whatever etc

Offline alexbrown64

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2014, 05:36:04 pm »
Hi, well, i got the old girl running for a youtube vid.

http://youtu.be/vfNTFSHN4Is

Cheers,
Alex
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 05:41:35 pm by alexbrown64 »