Author Topic: 2013 Classic Dirt Track Champs - Main Thread  (Read 91695 times)

Offline Shaun G

• Legend
  • Sydney, NSW
    • View Profile
    • FULL LOAD MOTORCYCLE TRANSPORT
Re: 2013 Classic Dirt Track Champs - Main Thread
« Reply #75 on: January 17, 2013, 03:38:39 pm »
To anyone that is traveling to Temora for the Titles and can extend their trip for an extra week can I suggest riding HEAVEN's Canowindra Cup on October 12/13. This is a fantastic event and you can even keep your dirt track tyre on. I rode the TT500 there on a trials uni last year and it was hooking up really well.

Canowindra is not far from Temora and I'm sure Greg (the King of Canowindra) would be happy to show you the sights   ;D

Cheers Shaun

Offline piney

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 20, 2013, 08:24:31 pm »

has a decision been made re wheel an tyre set up for th dirt track titles ??? or should I go ahead  :D ;D ;D ;) ;)

Curly3

« Reply #77 on: January 20, 2013, 09:21:36 pm »
That looks awesome Piney, I only thought of it just then but your biggest problem will be is if MA allow Temora to hold pre85 and EVO classes.
The cut off between Classic & Post Classic is pre78, or they might be support classes, but I wouldn't blame you if you didn't want to travel all that way without having a decent shot at a title, I know you've got some good experience on oil, that'll be a weapon.

Curly3

« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2013, 07:36:54 pm »
I have it on good authority that it will be restricted to a trials/speedway type tyre ONLY event.
Does that mean rear only or can you fit a 19" front, I don't know.
There's my can of worm's for today, go for it.

Offline ash666

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2013, 02:38:26 pm »
Yeah that's correct sliderulz, the club had a vote at a recent meeting and the majority voted the meeting to be a trails/speedway REAR tyre meeting obviously you can run trials or claw pattern or even close pattern knobby's on the front. In my opinion STAY AWAY FROM THE FRONT KNOBBY'S anyway boys sorry about all this but i was the only voting for the oil tyres so it made it quite difficult to outrule the rest of the club, ANYHOW I HOPE YA'S ARE ALL STILL KEEN TO HAVE A RIDE ON OUR OIL TRACK IN OCTOBER..... NO MATTER WHAT TYRES WE'RE USING I STILL BELEIVE IT WILL BE AN AWESOME WEEKEND, WITH A SHITLOAD OF GREAT RACING FROM A SHITLOAD OF GREAT GUYS !!!!  ;D

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2013, 05:03:16 pm »
I think that not allowing Knobbies on the front,
as uncompetitive as they may be,, will hurt entries.

Noel

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2013, 05:21:08 pm »
how can you not allow knobbies on the front ? you can run what you like on the front Noel. unless someone is messing with the SRegs.   Any 19-21' on the front and a trails rear should be the deal.

anyway making the track suit everyone ( ie trails rears and a loose soft top) will only enhance the event and engage more riders to come race.
That rolled black tar is very few and far between unless your a modern DT rider in NSW and then you may as well go road or Motard racing IMHO.

OIL tracks should be like griffith.  You club members certainly made the right decision.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »
May be Ihave  miss read Ash's post?

Noel

Curly3

« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2013, 05:43:22 pm »
I think you may have Noel, he's not recomending using a knobby front.
I think the bigger question is will it be a combined Classic & Post Classic event, if they run the post classics as well there would be nothing stopping the Post Classic classes from running 19" fronts, at least you'll be able to stop and turn hard.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2013, 08:25:19 pm »
I think limiting rear tyres to Trials or Speedway type is a retrograde step for every era, especially for the Evos and Pre 90s, if they run.

Whats wrong with K70s or the modern equivalent ?? or indeed the tyres that were run, on oil tracks, in the 80s and other eras represented ??

Freaky, the track is hard oil and unless the club rips the track , it will probably stay that way.

I have no problem with loose deco tracks or hard pack oil ones as , BITD you just changed the rear tyre to suit the track you were gonna race on !!
Foss

Offline hagon_84

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 05, 2013, 09:55:36 pm »
so has anyone got any ideas on tyre choice for a rear 17in on a 77 husky cr390 i googled it to find a vee rubber trials in the uk but not sure if anyone here stocks it or if its even worth using  ???
1977 Hagon rm250b, 1977 yz400d, 1972 gauzonni rm125, 1969 greeves griffon 250, 1973 greeves griffon qub 380, hagon eso 500.

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 06, 2013, 06:01:10 am »
I agree totally with Foss.........in the 70's you would have 2 rear wheels, one with a speedway type tyre and the other with a K70. With oil tracks then, there would be plenty of dirt through the heats, but by the semi finals and finals the tracks in places would be like tar.......hence the need for the K70......putting a restriction on these era machines is going backwards.  ;)
Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Curly3

« Reply #87 on: February 06, 2013, 07:25:49 am »
I think Temora will be like bitumen right from the start, the only bonus will be that it'll be a level playing field for all.
The original Speedway track at Nepean was the same as the DT, hard packed oil, my tyre of choice was an old dunlop with prctically no knob's left.
Don't use a new tyre for the finals.

Curly3

« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2013, 08:13:32 pm »
Any chance we can get confirmation on what classes will be included?
EG, Classic only or will it be Classic & Post Classic.
Not shit stirring just hoping to get the final program out there as soon as possible.
I want to see this meeting really kick arse and early communication is the secret.
I totally understand that the Temora club may struggle to get a difinitive answere out of MA but when push comes to shove we need to know ASAP.

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2013, 07:26:48 pm »
Could not agree more , after the mess of last year .what sort of Bull$%@# was that ! ???
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS