Author Topic: 2013 Classic Dirt Track Champs - Main Thread  (Read 91691 times)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Classic Dirt Track Champs - Main Thread
« Reply #105 on: March 16, 2013, 06:48:59 am »
Where's Freaky when we need him  ;D
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 16, 2013, 06:58:25 am »
Slides, I hear what you’re saying about supporting Temora Club, but it’s THEIR decision to limit tyre choice, at an Aussie Title, FFS ! and you know what the big  Gally Yammy does to tyres !!

I was really looking forward to this years Title meeting , for several reasons, a hard pack oil track with a K70 type on the rear for one, Cody Sampson was gunna ride the Gally  AND the  Slider for me, for another, and I would have been able to help him in the pits, unlike last year at Canberra when Shags had the water in the ignition trouble with the Gally, and I couldn’t help him as I was the starter for the meeting.

I really liked the Woodlands circuit when I raced there in the ‘70s, plus the meeting was within my reach , both geographically and financially.

Cody has raced the Hagon Yammy  for me before, with some success, but it’s not eligible for the Pre 75 Classic Slider class, as it is a 1975 model motor, so it stays in the shed now.

Unless I can send Cody out , on the Gally, with  the best  chance of doing as well as he possibly can in an Aussie Title, ie with the best tyre IMHO, there’s no bloody point, is there ??, so it stays in the shed as well. Bugger !!

I know that others will have differing opinions to me re tyres, but that’s how I feel about it, right now .
Foss

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 16, 2013, 07:52:20 am »
if its rear only i can use my 19 flattrack tyre on the front right.

Curly3

« Reply #108 on: March 16, 2013, 02:16:43 pm »
The contact numbers are now available thanks to Noel, I'm def not encouraging a bombardment of complaints but if anyone feels strongly enough about the one tyre rule then let them know your objections because the sup reg's haven't been approved as yet.
The way I see it is that if everyone is on the same tyre then you've got just as much chance as the next bloke.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 16, 2013, 02:35:09 pm »
The way I see it is that if everyone is on the same tyre then you've got just as much chance as the next bloke. 
With absolute respect Steve, that doesn't make a lot of sense . To say that if everyone uses the same tyres it's going to somehow equalise the equation goes totally against what racing is all about. Some bikes as Foss and I aluded to earlier are disadvantaged by using trials tyres while others will thrive on them. If Fosses and my bike are disadvantaged by having to use these tyres hows that supposed to give us as much chance as the next bloke ??? Another example is Jonesy who's just spent good money building new dirt track wheels and getting Maxxis tyres cut for Black Betty because a trials tyre goes off like a kilo last weeks of prawns after two laps on her. I'll send a communication to the club voicing my concerns later this evening.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:47:48 pm by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Curly3

« Reply #110 on: March 16, 2013, 02:55:14 pm »
Point taken, not trying to open up another can of worms but were 18's or 19's or whatever size chosen front & back actually being used on DT in prior to 65 or even 75? Yes tyres like the venerable K70 were used regularly on the rear but I'm talking a full Flattrack type set up.
Don't get me wrong Firko I'm not trying to cause an argument, just interested in the different philosophy's.
If there is a growing number of non starters just because of the tyre rule then they may change their mind but time is running out fast.
When the original Speedway track at Nepean was also hard packed oil I found the best tyre to use was an old worn out Dunlop with nearly all the knob's gone, just a thought.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2013, 04:18:14 pm »
Steve it's irrelevent what you or I think is the best tyre for the job. It should be up to each individual racer to choose the setup he thinks will work best for his needs within the rules. Your questions about what was used back in the day doesn't really matter as we are guided by the current MoMs, not nostalgic old photos from the day however 19" front and back was the go in the 60's so the only real difference is the tread pattern on the tyres. I used Carlilse tyres on my dirt trackers, especially at Nepean in the 70's. I've used the 19" Yamaha front wheel that I'm fitting to my flat tracker on all of my Maicos since around 1973-4, originally with a 350 trials tyre and later with a K70 and then a Carlilse. Why shouldn't I have the right to choose different tyres like I did back in the day?

The modern style tyres don't seem to detract too much from the originality of this old Beeza

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 11:33:21 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 17, 2013, 07:04:58 pm »
I will reply to the tyre choice I was the instigator of the tyre choices (at Temora)as I have riden Temora track a fair bit .The modern bikes all run wet slicks (the top few) .What I have seen is riders on trails tyre trying to match the fellow competitors for speed that is when the ambo gets called . We are all racers but a equal tyre choice makes us all the same (money wise & tyre wise) .I have been campaining classic dirt track & premoting the same for about 20 yrs . I ride the stuff so if you want to bitch about it have a ride yourself  & find out where the pointy end is .

Offline Purple Dave

• A-Grade
  • Just call me...ALVIN !!....courtesy of Slides 29 !
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 17, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »
I'm in the process of restoring this SC 500.........Can someone advise me what would be the best LEGAL tyres to buy for these wheels for Temora... ??? ???

Dirt Track Racer late 60's/throughout 70's

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 17, 2013, 07:37:09 pm »
Well said grasy, I agree, keep the tyre choice regulated!
Let's not turn classic DT into a circus like classic road racing!

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 17, 2013, 10:43:44 pm »
i think the point that is trying to get accross is
we raced on oil tracks in the 70s we all used k70s as the speedway tyres were not good enough.we used them when the bikes we now race were new so why cant we use them how.pointy end or blunt end if you regulate and people say not going to ruin 150-200 bucks worth of tyres for each bike i have 3 so thats 600.00 front and back at least.they just wont turn up then there will be NO race so you guys at the pointy end wont be there either.
jim
my 5 cents worth

we should all have safty as the most important part of the meeting.
The modern bikes all run wet slicks (the top few) .What I have seen is riders on trails tyre trying to match the fellow competitors for speed that is when the ambo gets called!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is quoted by a forum member and an australian classic champ

Offline Sorelegs11

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2013, 09:15:18 am »
Some of the cheapo 18" road tyres are pretty soft, what about them?
Get the tyre groover into action.
If at first you don't succeed, lower your standards.

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2013, 10:11:35 am »
What happened to freedom of choice here? If vintage dirt track was a closely controlled division like Formula Vee or some production class where everyone must use the same tyre I'd go along with it but it's not and unless I keep missing the stanza in MoMs where we're told what tyres we're restricted to I'll argue for us to have that choice. If the trials tyre is indeed the FASTEST way around Temora I'll most definitely mount Mitas trials tyres on my bikes but...and it's a big but....if my RR wet, or flat track Maxxis tyres work better I should have the right to use them. Next we'll be limiting the carburetor size or banning methanol or race fuel to stop us (or our rider in my case) from going too fast and maybe, possibly, perhaps getting hurt from going too fast ::). It's racing for fluck sake...the survival of the fittest and fastest.  There is no even playing field and stipulating what tyre we should use won't make the slow fast or the fast slower.

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2013, 10:49:15 am »
Go on then, run off and buy your top of the line road tyre. You may as well run 17 inch motards. This is becoming more like a Labour Party back room. Maybe you should put a censorship on other people's opinions. Ultimately the final should decision should be with the steward of the course. Not everyone has the cash to get rid of their of Chen Shin trials tyres because of a few rants of a couple of cheque book restorers. Am I not entitled to my opinion??

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2013, 11:14:54 am »
I think instead of worrying about tyres we need to look at what the split is doing to dirt track .
The thing i cannot understand is we are unable to run classes yet we can have support classes ,as for the age groups ,what a joke that is ,there is never enough entered to have a race always canned or combined . Lets get it back to the way it used to be .
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS