Author Topic: 2013 Classic Dirt Track Champs - Main Thread  (Read 91685 times)

Offline gdr

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Classic Dirt Track Champs - Main Thread
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2013, 11:57:58 am »
Yer pritty much the same ,when a club says its going to run both and tells us now they are not .Very disapointed .
HONDA THE POWER OF DREAMS

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 20, 2013, 12:05:28 am »
Cheez, that old chestnut "what the split has done to Dirt Track". there is no obligation to "split" If the club/promotor thinks he can fit in all the classes, Pre60 through to Pre 90, they can submit the Regs in that form and if MA passes them Bob's your uncle.
The issue I have (which may be resolved) is if Classic and Post Classic is run concurrently the indication was that MA would charge double fee.It is up to the club to decide whether to combine or not.

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2013, 10:32:00 am »
if it was held at nepean you would have to run a trails rear. that`s the track rules.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2013, 11:30:20 am »
micks
we can and do run usa style dirttrack tyres at nepean kenda ice racing tyres with out the spikes.even motrad wheels and tyres but they get cloged up after watering
jim

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2013, 11:34:19 am »
we can and do run usa style dirttrack tyres at nepean
That's what I thought too. I've seen moderns with motard 17" and others with 19" flat track Maxxis tyres. I actually witnessed Tony Garrard cutting the Maxxis tyres for his kids Hondas the other day.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2013, 11:45:29 am »
The issue I have (which may be resolved) is if Classic and Post Classic is run concurrently the indication was that MA would charge double fee.
That's a far more important issue for the sport than restricting tyres. I wonder if Temora would have run both divisions if running Classic and Post Classic together had been treated as one meeting by MA? By charging double if the promoting club want to combine divisions is purely a money grab of the sleaziest kind by MA.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 11:47:54 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2013, 03:26:28 pm »
It really came down to, in the first instance last year, to lack of knowledge about the split, it took some phone calls, from me, over some weeks, for the facts to sink in, re the split,to the organising club and then there was spectre of the doubling up of the permit fees, which was quoted to us, by MA, as $3000 per division ie $6000 if both Classic and Post Classic were run at the same meeting, plus the fact that it would be quite an extended program, if all Classic classes and all Post Classic classes were well subscribed.

I suspect something similar may have occured this year.

What sticks in my craw is that some of the Post Classic classes can be run at a Classic Championship meeting, under the one Permit and fee,but they must be Support classes only, not Championship classes.
Foss

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2013, 09:11:27 pm »
That is correct Allan but it was only limited to the first 12 entries, With tracks such as Temora, West Wyalong,Griffith,Condobolin,Old Bar, & other oiled tracks there is no need to stop an event to water nor groom the surface . Most oiled tracks (diminissing worst luck) can easy achieve 20 races pre hour .Oiled tracks can host the whole preiod of classic bikes Pre 65 thru to Pre 1990 . As a rider there is nothing worse then being called to the grid then have to wait for the water truck,grader or smudge bar to come out, then be given a sighting lap. This is when the accidents occur inconnsistant surfaces (grippy,slippery).  My small mindeed opinion granite tracks at the best can run 10 events per hour on an very altering surface.
RE Temora surface if you run a soft trials tyre it would last you all year as you are not moving abrasive material in which burns the tyre .Lower the pressure & get some grip when the track warms up.

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2013, 09:21:29 pm »
Spot on with your comments about oil tracks, Grasy, that's a point I pushed when on the committee, lack of time needed for track prep, therefore a faster moving meeting on oil tracks, 3 minutes flag to flag is good going and if ya dont' have to prep , just keep em rollin' !!.
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2013, 09:47:35 pm »
At the risk of upsetting someone.
There are oiled dirtracks and there's OILED DIRTTRACKS.
I'm not pissing in your pocket Dave but Griffith have the formula spot on, at the classic title meeting you guy's ran a few years ago I can't recall one stoppage for track prep for 2 days.
The big point for me was that there was still real dirt on the track, it isn't over oiled and hardpacked.
Taree is not a true DT in my mind but I don't want it to change.
Maybe I'm contradicting myself but a track like Taree is a genuine link between Dirttrack and Road Racing, takeing it away would be a step backwards for OZ motorcycling, it has a huge roll to play.
Nepean was an over oiled track but given it's close proximitey to SYD and more importantly the catchment of the nearby Nepean river, we have no other choice.
There has to be THE magic formula, getting it out of Dave is another story.
Imagine how boring DT racing will be if all track surfaces were the same?
Good night all. 

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2013, 10:09:38 pm »
Having a great team of  Old School Dirt Track riders is the secret & a great flexible club to work with. Our working
Bees are a buzz work, light a fire at dark then have a laugh,beer & pizza . GMSC are blessed by the older gents in our club . Mick (Fossil)Fallon has kept our club on it's legs.
When we say we are having a working bee it is like a  party of busy bee's till we light da fire,Then call a cab to get home. LOL

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2013, 10:13:39 pm »
'Twas ever thus Steve, differing surfaces at different tracks, ya just tyred up to suit, Barum or K70 at Griffith, K70 or road tyre at West Wyalong or Temora etc etc, you know the score.

I like your comment re Taree and road racing 'cos Dirt track has had some star alumni in the Moto GP world, hasn't it ?

DT's original name was Miniature TT, which says a lot, and tracks like Boxers and Wambanumba were exactly that, miniature oil dirt versions of road race circuits.
Foss

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2013, 10:16:15 pm »
How come us old blokes get Fossil as a nickname ?, we haven't turned to stone just yet !!, Naah, jokin' I'm proud ta be called The Fossil !!!
Foss

Curly3

« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2013, 10:21:48 pm »
Alright for some Dave, a cab home from Nepean would cost me close to $120.00, I'd have to camp there, not that I'd be complaining.

Offline Grasy 6

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2013, 10:28:18 pm »
House prices are coming down in the Maffios land .Move to the oiled track country got about 1.5 hrs driving to 3 off the best oiled surfaces in Aust (Wyalong,Temora & Griffith)