Author Topic: Aussie MXGP  (Read 16406 times)

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
Re: Aussie MXGP
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2010, 12:21:28 PM »
The funding for the upgrades will come from the Vic State Govt. If anyone remembers the state of repair Broadford MX track before the World champs 10 years ago...it was really bad but the govt chipped in and brought it up to spec for the FIM, same will happen this time.
I know its not the best track in oz but unless another state govt puts up the dollars, I can't see it going anywhere else.

The point being made here is that there was no visibility that MA had negotiations with other states AT ALL to see if they also would put up the money.  As tends to be the case, these things often are just announced (as a fait accompli) by MA.

Who is to say that the now desparate NSW State government wouldn't have thrown millions at this event in the same way as they did for the V8 Supercar race in Homebush?  I'm sure a venue would be easy to find - Picton comes to mind immediately and would potentially be an excellent venue.  It also ticks ALL the same boxes as Broadford in terms of location and access to transport/larger city.

Similarly, the QLD State Goverment may also have been keen...

But we may never know if these Governments were even aware of the possibility.  If someone can inform us that MA undertook detailed discussions with all states and VIC/Broadford was the winner, then I will stand corrected.  It just doesn't look that way and past experience is that it's unlikely to have occurred.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2010, 01:38:58 PM »
geez that just read like krudd and the corporate mining groups  :-X
Consultation  ::)  not  :(
Best is in the West !!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2010, 01:56:59 PM »
To the old men whinging about the track, do yourself a favour & have a reality check or buy a ticket to go to a US National or a World MX GP or even buy a DVD. Might cost you $10.00 for the DVD or if you cant afford $10.00 then go on You Tube. I've been there & believe me, Broadford is a walk in the park for Top MX Riders. I worked at both GP's at Broadford & Joel Smets thought the track was OK as I spoke to him after the race. Sharkey & Byner led that GP for ages until Smets tracked them down, what a fantastic race & what about Chad's charge on the KX 250.

Ken Baker

Been where? Why is Broadford a walk in the park?
Theres no doubt that local riders leading a GP held locally is a sight to see.The riders can make a great race on most any track.Joel Smets saying its OK isnt really a recommendation ,all (most) of those riders are smart and professional enough not to bag a track no matter what.

The FIM is the governing body but the running of the event and the series ,including individual track prep is handled by Youthstream.They will do what they see fit to Broadford but they can only do so much within the existing layout.The whole area of the track at Broadford would be lucky to be equal to much more than about a quarter of the US and GP tracks that Ive seen.In europe the tracks are  a spectacle even before the racing starts.People turn up early set up camp and wonder around the whole track , or climb if its Namur,on the Friday.
Nationals are similar, don't know about Glen Helen but otherwise what is there about Broadford that you can compare with any national or GP track?
The location is the only thing that I can agree with.
Sorry Kenny boy but I just can't see it.
Brent
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 01:58:43 PM by motomaniac »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2010, 02:00:39 PM »
The funding for the upgrades will come from the Vic State Govt. If anyone remembers the state of repair Broadford MX track before the World champs 10 years ago...it was really bad but the govt chipped in and brought it up to spec for the FIM, same will happen this time.
I know its not the best track in oz but unless another state govt puts up the dollars, I can't see it going anywhere else.

The point being made here is that there was no visibility that MA had negotiations with other states AT ALL to see if they also would put up the money.  As tends to be the case, these things often are just announced (as a fait accompli) by MA.

Who is to say that the now desparate NSW State government wouldn't have thrown millions at this event in the same way as they did for the V8 Supercar race in Homebush?  I'm sure a venue would be easy to find - Picton comes to mind immediately and would potentially be an excellent venue.  It also ticks ALL the same boxes as Broadford in terms of location and access to transport/larger city.

Similarly, the QLD State Goverment may also have been keen...

But we may never know if these Governments were even aware of the possibility.  If someone can inform us that MA undertook detailed discussions with all states and VIC/Broadford was the winner, then I will stand corrected.  It just doesn't look that way and past experience is that it's unlikely to have occurred.
its apretty safe bet that you won't be corrected Ajay.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2010, 02:18:37 PM »
This is the thing, it's OUR sport and yet MA see fit to do as they please....throwing money at Broadford is just throwing it away...why not put the money into a place that can be permanent, meets all the criterior AND clubs would want to use all the time, surely a better investment of our money...and it is OUR money!. Phillip Island gets the biggies and yet that is owned by Lindsay Fox isn't it? All the money they throw at Broadford is a waste as after the GP nobody will use it again (doesnt look like they have spent money on it since the 2001 GP ) It is a shithole and always will be a shithole...even if they throw $300K at it, the first time it rains it's rooted again (and thats not just the track), are they going to tarseal or concrete the pits? I dont think so...they should put it up for auction to the state with the highest bid and best plans....including the future so they will want to have a GP in Australia every year!!!. Create history!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
Is there a VMX class? ;D

(including FIM Veterans’ World Cup, Monster Energy FIM Motocross of Nations, UEM EMX 125 European Championship)   ;D
Best is in the West !!

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2010, 07:53:56 PM »
I havent been to any tracks for quite A few years,but what about Echo Valley? Best track i've ridden on (in my humble opinion)

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2010, 08:19:22 PM »
you need to get out more and ride some southern dirt
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:37:42 PM by DAVID#46 »

Allbrit

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2010, 08:09:41 AM »
Let's get a couple of things very clear.

1. The Broadford complex is owned by Motorcycling Victoria.
2. Motorcycling Australia has no financial involvement in this complex, and does not put licence fee money toward the complex.
3. Motorcycling Australia pays the same hire fees at Broadford as any other promoter.
4. Motorcycling Australia and Motorcycling Victoria are two separate and different bodies.
5. Motorcycling Australia hires Broadford for the annual HBBB because of the lay out of the venue. This event possibly would move to other (interstate)venues if they could offer the   same facilities, tracks, etc.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 10:31:23 AM by Allbrit »

All Things 414

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2010, 08:35:43 AM »
Let's get a couple of things very clear.

1. The Broadford complex is owned by Motorcycling Victoria.
2. Motorcycling Australia has no financial involvement in this complex, and does not put licence fee money toward the complex.
3. Motorcycling Australia pays the same hire fees at Broadford as any other promoter.
4. Motorcycling Australia and Motorcycling Victoria are two separate and different bodies.

C'mon Mr Crocket. Get stuck in.....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 08:37:25 AM by All Things 414 »

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 09:05:39 AM »
ALLBRIT, WE KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:19 AM »
ALLBRIT, WE KNOW ALL ABOUT THAT.

David#46 you might know all about that but going by a lot of other comments on here a lot of guys don't seem to have an understanding of the relationship between MA and MVIC let alone where Broadford fits in to the picture
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 10:12:28 AM »
David#46 you might know all about that but going by a lot of other comments on here a lot of guys don't seem to have an understanding of the relationship between MA and MVIC let alone where Broadford fits in to the picture

I certainly DO have an understanding of their realtionship, having been involved with both MA and MVIC in relation to hiring Broadford a few years ago.

I can tell you that the relationship (while in theory completely independant) is very "close and supportive"  ;)

I think it would be completely fair to say that MA does not promote the use of say, QLD based facilities as strongly as they do Broadford.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:40:00 AM by AjayVMX »

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »

I think it would be completely fair to say that MA does not promote the use of say, QLD based facilities as strongly as they do Broadford.

I wouldn't argue with that :)
Broadford does seem to be the default location for MA at the moment. And if Connondale is the best MX track in OZ thats where the GP should be.

I don't claim to have any knowledge of how FIM dishes out championship rounds but I would expect that to be successful to get a round MA or anyone else would have to show that they have a venue and funding or some sort of business plan up front. Its probably the case that because there is already a venue and funding in place that is what they have gone with.
I think for it to go anywhere else it has to start from the ground level up. A track owner or SCB has to come up with a plan and money and approach MA to get the round. I do't think its realistic to expect it to happen the other way around - whether its fair or not...
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 11:15:34 AM »
Mick22, I understand, my beef is not with you or anybody on this forum, l am expressing my feelings about broadford, where does all the money go, and state goverment funds go, l see that they sent a lot of money on roads from entry to roadracing complex. now MA own barrabool, wouldn`t you think MA would start to promote Barrabool and move away from Broadford and leave Broadford to the hands of MA/VIC, ITS THEIR BABY. or if Barrabool is not up to speed to hold a world series of motocross, then they should look at calder or Philip iland, other states maybe, Years ago l was promoting vintage motocross, and l was approached by the Grand prix corparation to run a vintage motocross meeting at Philip iland, MA is a lot bigger then me, why don`t they just get of their tunnel vision arse and sit down with these managers and make it happen, talk with channel 10 manager too.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:20:30 AM by DAVID#46 »