Author Topic: Aussie MXGP  (Read 16417 times)

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie MXGP
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2010, 05:05:42 PM »

Coolum,would not be GP worthy

[/quote]

Why not  ??? ??? It has been holding some of the most prestigious National MX events for years. I tink a GP would be childs play, after putting on the Junior Nats for years.
[/quote]

I "tink" your dreamin Coolum would go no where near being GP worthy the National events that have been run there is more to do with the club wanting the events,the track is not the reason that the National events are held there and even at National level it leaves a lot to be desired as far as well set out tracks go,

All Things 414

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2010, 05:25:03 PM »
YAY! Fuggin' beauty! Those guys are so big they don't give a rat's about showers or parking. I know people were a little put off by some ruts and a bit of mud at the VMX Nationals but I think World Class riders (not in their own heads) would probably do ok with that sort of thing.

Happy days are here again. Good on 'ya MA!.... :D

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 05:55:57 PM »
Well m22, why the hell did MA buy Barrabool, that Million plus dollars could have been well spent on  upgrading the Facilities at Broadford, If your so dam proud of it. the road racing facilities are a big improvement, but the rest is thumbs down.

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 06:03:28 PM »
Isn't Broadford owned by Ma?
Unless I was in an alternate universe, the Broadford I went to a couple of months ago was in poor condition. Are they going to leave it in that condition for the world to see?
If not, where would the money come from to bring it up to scratch?
You'll always get the serial whingers, makes you wonder if its because Victoria have another Major Sporting Event.
You're right on the money there.  ::)
OR, its because its a shit hole and needs heaps of money thrown at it to bring it up to scratch.
I don't think as it stands, there is a complex that is capable of holding a GP as professional as other parts of the world. Broadford has the most potential having power, water, bike washers and crowd control barriers etc there.
So will there be a $2 raffle going to raise the $100k it needs to bring it up to scratch?

All Things 414

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 06:30:17 PM »
Maybe Conondale. Or the Parwan Motocross Training Facility (they do Dunger Dawgs). Or....

Offline 2 shocks

• A-Grade
  • Gods Country !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 06:44:10 PM »
To the old men whinging about the track, do yourself a favour & have a reality check or buy a ticket to go to a US National or a World MX GP or even buy a DVD. Might cost you $10.00 for the DVD or if you cant afford $10.00 then go on You Tube. I've been there & believe me, Broadford is a walk in the park for Top MX Riders. I worked at both GP's at Broadford & Joel Smets thought the track was OK as I spoke to him after the race. Sharkey & Byner led that GP for ages until Smets tracked them down, what a fantastic race & what about Chad's charge on the KX 250. Spoke to Chad at Glen Helen in 2004 about that race & he didnt have a problem with the track. Once again, these guys are top professionals in the MX world, ruts, rocks & mud dont seem to bother them. Something else to consider, ok, the track might not suit you, but you're probably an old guy on an old bike that doesnt have the suspension or the ability that super fit professional have, also, can you point to a venue that's 30mins from Australia's 2nd largest city thats approaching 4 million people, 5 mins from a national hwy, endless accommodation in the city & if MA would supply a sub standard track for a world championship event, which would be overseen by the world GP authority FIM, you must be living in a very small cloud or a different universe. Get positive & not negative. If you can come up with a better venue that could accommodate 20,000 + people let MA know. In the hey day of Mr Motocross, Broadford use to cater for 10,000 + easily back in the day.

Ken Baker
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 06:46:55 PM by 2 shocks »

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 06:45:49 PM »
You know if MA gets this event for say the next 4 to 5 years ,imagine the money they can make out of it to upgrade track and facilities and maybe after only 2 or 3 years they may have made enough money to give it to another track to run and they can also do well out of it.
At the end of the day it's all about money and Just the location of Broadford will always draw a big crowd for a big event every time so i am for it.

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 06:47:34 PM »
Unfortunately, while the acquiring of the Broadford facility by MVIC may have been due to a lot of good work by the people that Mick22 mentioned (and good upon them for doing so), the underlying issue is that I doubt seriously that it turns a profit for MVIC on an ongoing basis.

This in turn means that there is a strong desire by MVIC and as a consequence, MA to divert more and more events to be run at Broadford, regardless of whether it is the best facility in the country for those events, so that they can try to reoup some money for the facility.

An example of this would be the recent pairing of the Vintage Nationals with the HBBB.

I think it would be extremely interesting indeed for the balance sheets for the combined events to be made available to MA/MVIC members, as I seriously doubt that any money was made, indeed I believe they must have run these events at a loss.  After all, they employed Peter Drakeford for at least half a year to organise then events, flew in Gary Jones for nearly two weeks and yet only had a bit over 100 dirt riders.  I would also be pretty sure that the road part of the HBBB would not have made so much money that it can overcome the losses on the dirt part.

Similarly, the Vintage nationals were very poorly attended, in comparison to the event held the previous year in QLD. 

Why?  Part of that reason would probably be because people didn't want to go to Broadford in the first instance (even many Victorians).

So call me names if you like, but the fact remains that there probably are better places in Australia to run an MXGP, but my perception is that they don't get a look in most instances.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 07:54:11 PM »
Here here AJ, I think the reason its there is because as we all know, the Mexicans dont travel well. I'm sure MA could come up with a better track but they wont. Half the people at the last 2 GP's where from out of Victoria, I'm sure any other state would do the same if not a better job but when the blinkers are on......  I think that the lack of events at Broadford is because everybody in Vic knows it's a shithole of a track so it's the last place they would want to have a meeting at when they have some GREAT tracks to ride elsewhere.... Now before you Mehicans get on your high horse, think about it...I spoke to quite a few of your brothers down at the VMX nats and they all said it has always been a SHITHOLE....the ground that its made on is just fugged so it doesnt matter what they do to it every time it RAINS it just washes away.... like burning $100 notes....remember there is a sewarge treatment plant (or something similar) next door....lovely smell....hey Geoff, better start building our acommodation at the Princapality of Morris (mate, you've gotta get a better computer setup...I know you will be reading this next week)...The banana benders are on there way, 3 star will be OK.....but if you want to make it 5, thats OK too. Muchos gracios amegos....areva, areva, adious amegos.....long live the alimo!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
The GP is in May it will be wet, soft and soggy

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 08:34:08 PM »
Or you could wait 5 minutes, bound to change... :D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »
Isn't Broadford owned by Ma?
So will there be a $2 raffle going to raise the $100k it needs to bring it up to scratch?

Broadford is mainly owned by MVIC, some of the land is owned by Harley MCC.

The funding for the upgrades will come from the Vic State Govt. If anyone remembers the state of repair Broadford MX track before the World champs 10 years ago...it was really bad but the govt chipped in and brought it up to spec for the FIM, same will happen this time.
I know its not the best track in oz but unless another state govt puts up the dollars, I can't see it going anywhere else.

Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 12:13:36 AM »
To the old men whinging about the track, do yourself a favour & have a reality check or buy a ticket to go to a US National or a World MX GP or even buy a DVD. Might cost you $10.00 for the DVD or if you cant afford $10.00 then go on You Tube. I've been there & believe me, Broadford is a walk in the park for Top MX Riders. I worked at both GP's at Broadford & Joel Smets thought the track was OK as I spoke to him after the race. Sharkey & Byner led that GP for ages until Smets tracked them down, what a fantastic race & what about Chad's charge on the KX 250. Spoke to Chad at Glen Helen in 2004 about that race & he didnt have a problem with the track. Once again, these guys are top professionals in the MX world, ruts, rocks & mud dont seem to bother them. Something else to consider, ok, the track might not suit you, but you're probably an old guy on an old bike that doesnt have the suspension or the ability that super fit professional have, also, can you point to a venue that's 30mins from Australia's 2nd largest city thats approaching 4 million people, 5 mins from a national hwy, endless accommodation in the city & if MA would supply a sub standard track for a world championship event, which would be overseen by the world GP authority FIM, you must be living in a very small cloud or a different universe. Get positive & not negative. If you can come up with a better venue that could accommodate 20,000 + people let MA know. In the hey day of Mr Motocross, Broadford use to cater for 10,000 + easily back in the day.

Ken Baker
No one has mentioned the track ( up to your post). Its the facilities. The place is run down. The track is fairly irrelevant . Those champions will ride on the moon well.
I will be there to support it as I was in 2001. All I said was the place as a whole is an embarrassment to be on a world stage. Heaps of money will be required to get it up to scratch.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2010, 09:30:58 AM »
thats right 090, Mick22, Its the Toilet block and showers, bulldoze the lot and start fresh with new buildings, hop on a plane and fly to connondale the showers are simple and neat and brilliant to use, Toilets at broadford are terrible new brick building would look a lot better and workable, don`t just build one for thousands to use build two. There is no canteens to buy food and when it rain well say know more, come for a drive and have a look at the geelong gokart track the showers and toilet block, canteen are brilliant., if these poeple can do it Broadford can, they have been there a lot longer.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 09:35:31 AM by DAVID#46 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2010, 10:41:50 AM »
the Mexicans dont travel well.

DC there are only a small minority of vmxers that do travel anywhere in aust to vmx events.For Vic to travel to Qld its like us heading up to the Pilbara for a skid around ..Its a long way.

hop on a plane and fly to connondale the showers are simple and neat and brilliant to use,

I don't believe we have any really great permanent sporting MX/GP/SX facility's in Aust.I'd like to know where that have permanent toilets/canteen/showers etc ? Don't get me wrong,Conondale is the best track in Aust we have visited,but with no camping the canteen/showers/toilets would not have coped at CD7 as also a GP would not cope.
cheers the female vmx247  ;)

Best is in the West !!