Author Topic: Aussie MXGP  (Read 16411 times)

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie MXGP
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 10:11:02 AM »
F*ck I'm getting a little tired of this Broadford bashing shit. I think that it's a given that there are better tracks to run the event but what's the point of going through this endless MA/Broadford bashing exercise every time Broadford comes on the radar? I personally wish it was being held 2k up the road from my place at Eastern Creek but it's not, it's at Broadford so get over the shock and horror of it not being at Conondale/Barrabool/ANZ Stadium and either support the event by attending or read about it in ADB a month later. 

I'll be there with my good 'ol boy mates enjoying the event for what it is....an opportunity to see the best motocross our country can offer up.

Be right next to you!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Scunge

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 10:30:04 AM »
Yip, I three will be there. Broadford is Broadford. I drove past it yesterday and really the over riding feeling was it is great that we have this kind of permanent facility in Vic.

The first GP they had there was an absolute ripper. Very fond memories of MacFarland, Bryne, Kings and co giving it to the Euro's. Alloy frame YZM400's, hybrid CR500's, D. Kings at the time very trick Husky (developed by Everts before he had the big fall out with his manager) Smets/Kings KTM500's, works bikes, works bikes and more works bikes!!!

Then there was Firko, Bernie and co in the stand with us, drinking and talking BS until the cows were well and truly home. In fact thats how the Suzuki43 and I found out about vintage MX and ultimately sold our WR400's and brought the RM's we aspired to have as kids.

Yes it will be hard to top that one but I am ever optimistic and I will try (except this time I will avoid the chapel street bars/mega race day hang-over)!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
I'm with 090 and Firko. It it actually happens I will be there and have a great time. Spending my days watching some great racing and then retiring to the Yea Hotel for a few cold ones and a great meal.

Can't see the problem really [better than working].
VMX42

Just one thing though, when did it suddenly become a necessity for motocross to be held in a 'World Class Facility'. Some of my best racing memories and most enjoyable days have been spent in the middle of nowhere. All you need is a great track and quality riders - pure gold! Toughen up guys, it's is MOTOCROSS not lawn bowls.  ;)

Remember if we make it too easy and comfortable to attend we have to put up with all the blow-ins and newbies. I say keep it for the diehards and the trendies can find something else to tattoo on their bodies.  :D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:08:48 AM by vmx42 »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

firko

« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 11:20:03 AM »
Accommodation booked!  Air flights will be booked as soon as it's officially announced. Ah, I love it....the 'good 'ol boys' on the road again. ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 11:22:27 AM by firko »

STW996

« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 11:24:10 AM »
Accommodation booked!  Air flights will be booked as soon as it's officially announced. Ah, I love it....the 'good 'ol boys' on the road again. ;D

Hope you got bunk beds Firko as me and Sir Brad will want to be there ;)

Brad I bags top bunk ;D

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 11:48:06 AM »
…the 'good 'ol boys' on the road again. ;D

At 30,000 feet!

The road trip is half the fun. All the time to build the anticipation and then 'punters post-mortem' all the way home. Come on Firko, you and the Good Ole Boys must be gettin' soft! :o
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 12:10:11 PM »

Barrabool is a spectacular venue to the eye when it's in full race mode.  The natural amphitheatre that the track sits in just makes it look like a showpiece.  The long version of the track is unique.  Josh Coppins commented the first time he rode it that he doesn't get his bike wound out to those speeds anywhere else in the world (in reference to 'Skyline', the back straight)

The reason he doesn't get wound out like that anywhere in the world is because he mostly races the GP's that are promoted by YouthStream and they alter the tracks to their own liking.They would do the same to Barrabool. For example they cut the lenght of the track at Valkenswald, for the GP's the big straights are not used.Then after the GP the track is changed back to its old style for Dutch national events.
But yes Barrabool is much more scenic - not much infrastructure though.

Cutting the straights out of Valkenswaard would be the same reason for modifying Barrabool.  The track average speed would be too high, so the FIM track inspector would have to slow it down.  It has to be under a 50 or 55km/h average (can't find the exact figures) for a GP.  Pulling a buck twenty on the back straight would kill those sorts of numbers.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 01:05:19 PM »
[quote author=vmx42 l
VMX42

Just one thing though, when did it suddenly become a necessity for motocross to be held in a 'World Class Facility'. Some of my best racing memories and most enjoyable days have been spent in the middle of nowhere. All you need is a great track and quality riders - pure gold! Toughen up guys, it's is MOTOCROSS not lawn bowls.  ;)

Remember if we make it too easy and comfortable to attend we have to put up with all the blow-ins and newbies. I say keep it for the diehards and the trendies can find something else to tattoo on their bodies.  :D
[/quote]       So true 42 ! a bit off track but there's a bit of footage in either"one chance to win"or" legacy of motocross" of Heikki "the wolf", mud from a--hole to breakfast , snot running out of him ,that epitomize's  the motocrosser (of old anyway) their anywhere -anytime attitude  ;) don't let the wowser's take over our sport,which may be a bit of an ask ! i would'nt hesitate going to any GP and having a ball doing it ;D
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 01:34:27 PM by Huskibul »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 01:24:02 PM »

Barrabool is a spectacular venue to the eye when it's in full race mode.  The natural amphitheatre that the track sits in just makes it look like a showpiece.  The long version of the track is unique.  Josh Coppins commented the first time he rode it that he doesn't get his bike wound out to those speeds anywhere else in the world (in reference to 'Skyline', the back straight)

The reason he doesn't get wound out like that anywhere in the world is because he mostly races the GP's that are promoted by YouthStream and they alter the tracks to their own liking.They would do the same to Barrabool. For example they cut the lenght of the track at Valkenswald, for the GP's the big straights are not used.Then after the GP the track is changed back to its old style for Dutch national events.
But yes Barrabool is much more scenic - not much infrastructure though.

Cutting the straights out of Valkenswaard would be the same reason for modifying Barrabool.  The track average speed would be too high, so the FIM track inspector would have to slow it down.  It has to be under a 50 or 55km/h average (can't find the exact figures) for a GP.  Pulling a buck twenty on the back straight would kill those sorts of numbers.
and so it would be the same at Barrabool- no wound flat out more than any other track , that you mentioned.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2010, 07:55:25 PM »
I spoke to a friend in Belgium last week who works at the MXGP's, the word is that Broadford won't get the GP and there probably won't be one in Australia at this stage.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
Motorcycling Victoria (MV) has issued a statment regarding the release of the Provisional 2011 FIM World Motocross Championship schedule on which Australia was listed as the opneing round.

The statement read, "As a result of the FIM releasing its 2011 Provisional Calendars, there has been a lot of conjecture suggesting that Victoria, via Broadford will host a round of the FIM Motocross World Championship next year.

"Motorcycling Victoria (MV) would like to state on the record, that there are no signed or official commitments to host a Championship round in 2011.

"We are currently in negotiations to see if the hosting of such an event could become a reality, but as of yet, have nothing concrete to report.

"Should this situation change, and when further information becomes available, we will certainly let everyone know, but for now there is nothing further to be added.

"MV will continue to work in the best interests of the sport in this State, and indeed, for the benefit of motorcycling in Australia," the statment concluded.
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2010, 10:48:57 PM »
Shit, we can get it at Conondale now, them little Euro people at the FIM must have spies reading this forum and realized Broadford's a shithole.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ;D ;D ;D ;D....I'll start runnin now.....adi'os amigos.....beeb beeb.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:07 PM »
I spoke to a friend in Belgium last week who works at the MXGP's, the word is that Broadford won't get the GP and there probably won't be one in Australia at this stage.

It was never gunna happen unless the state gov chipped in the pay Mr Luogo his huge fee.
Apparently any sponsorship attracted for the event aslo go's 50/50 between the local promoter and Mr Luongos youthstream.Thats the deal .

I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2010, 11:50:01 PM »
Quote from: firko on June 29, 2010, 10:08:08 AM
F*ck I'm getting a little tired of this Broadford bashing shit. I think that it's a given that there are better tracks to run the event but what's the point of going through this endless MA/Broadford bashing exercise every time Broadford comes on the radar? I personally wish it was being held 2k up the road from my place at Eastern Creek but it's not, it's at Broadford so get over the shock and horror of it not being at Conondale/Barrabool/ANZ Stadium and either support the event by attending or read about it in ADB a month later.

I'll be there with my good 'ol boy mates enjoying the event for what it is....an opportunity to see the best motocross our country can offer up.

Be right next to you!!
 Me too   And maybe room at my place for some if wanted. I am only 90Kms away. Cheers Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.