Author Topic: Aussie MXGP  (Read 16410 times)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Aussie MXGP
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 04:04:05 PM »
I don't think Broadford is a bad track to ride on, in fact, it's good when it's all groomed & ready to go.  However, the general feel of the place just doesn't scream 'grand prix venue'.  It just looks like a section of bush has been cleared and a track was built there.

Barrabool is a spectacular venue to the eye when it's in full race mode.  The natural amphitheatre that the track sits in just makes it look like a showpiece.  The long version of the track is unique.  Josh Coppins commented the first time he rode it that he doesn't get his bike wound out to those speeds anywhere else in the world (in reference to 'Skyline', the back straight).

I really hope that all the crap with the council & nearby residents gets sorted out so they can look at using it properly.  It would be a great GP venue.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 05:48:10 PM »

Barrabool is a spectacular venue to the eye when it's in full race mode.  The natural amphitheatre that the track sits in just makes it look like a showpiece.  The long version of the track is unique.  Josh Coppins commented the first time he rode it that he doesn't get his bike wound out to those speeds anywhere else in the world (in reference to 'Skyline', the back straight)

The reason he doesn't get wound out like that anywhere in the world is because he mostly races the GP's that are promoted by YouthStream and they alter the tracks to their own liking.They would do the same to Barrabool. For example they cut the lenght of the track at Valkenswald, for the GP's the big straights are not used.Then after the GP the track is changed back to its old style for Dutch national events.
But yes Barrabool is much more scenic - not much infrastructure though.

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 09:23:47 PM »
It's funny most of what I have seen is about the fact that broadford is so bad, not the fact we have round of the MxGP in Australia.  Lets just enjoy the fact we have the chance to watch it next year in our own country.  I for one is grovelling badly to she who will be obeyed for the chance to go and watch!!
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 09:30:01 PM »
Yes, we are very happy and excited about having a world series here in Australia, its where they are holding this world series, that the main issue Tossa

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 09:59:14 PM »
Like D D D David said, everybody is rapped that we are having a GP, it's just the place there having it at....obviously alot of moolla has to be spent to upgrade the facility so why not do it somewhere better that will get used more frequently to get a return on the money spent. Also if you came up with a really good track it could put Australia on the map as a place they want to come too!!! Everybody knows the names of the famous tracks around the world and it pains me to say this but Broadford doesnt cut the mustard....and it smells....imagine the GP riders going home and the only thing they remember is the sewarge smell!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 11:17:18 PM »
Oh god, spare me please.
I think some of you guys have your bra straps up too tight causing too much angst.
Typically some one thinks that MAV have spent too much money on Broadford.
While others think they haven’t spent enough.

“MA don’t do anything for our sport”
Or
“Why is MA getting involved with our sport”

Or how about….

“The Nats ran at a loss, how dare they”
Or
They made a profit from the Nats, how dare they.

I don’t think you understand Davey, If we treated you like second class citizens is because we thought you were actually 3rd class citizens and we were trying to upgrade you. ;D

From what I heard the only proposal to run the Nats this year was WA which refused to run the post 75 events. Rather than having no Evo classes they encouraged Preston to run the event with all classes.
If their were no Evo classes this year I could see the same whingers complaining about MA not doing anything for our sport.
And with the support they got locally I wonder why they bothered.

The Broadford complex has been around since at least 76 with the first races that I know of in late 77. It’s been slowly growing over the years, and I believe the Road Race track does quite well.
Money well “wasted” in my opinion

The powers that be want lots of infrastructure at their tracks for the GP’s.
This isn’t necessarily what I believe in but it’s the way it is.
That’s why the pit sheds and other buildings were built for the earlier GP’s
So if MA have to fork out for buildings then naturally they will do it for their own track, otherwise it would be accused of wasting “our” money if they built stuff on tracks owned by others.
So it doesn’t surprise me that they chose Broadford.

I agree Barrabool would make a better GP track and I think it’s great that they “wasted our money” by buying it, but its early days down their, if they can sort the locals out then it could easily grow into a great complex.

The main problem with the Broadford MX track that I see is that it’s been forced into too small an area and it twists & turns back on itself too often.
And with the Mini bike parent influence that seems to have come in it’s hard to get changes made for the better as I believe the wrong track designers have too much influence now.
One good thing about the GP being there is the track will be upgraded to better specs. The first GP’s their forced the removal of the truck tyres from the trackside, something that the Mini bike brigade kept moving onto the track to force their little Johny to take the right lines, but they were very unforgiving if you hit them.

Next election I think I will vote Conondale for Prime Minister
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

All Things 414

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 06:30:19 AM »
It's funny most of what I have seen is about the fact that broadford is so bad, not the fact we have round of the MxGP in Australia. 

Too true! I'll be there enjoying it! Sounds like a lot of sour grapes to me.... ;)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 07:51:23 AM »
Arrrrh Geoffro, I wondered when the computer would fire up with some more herb's in it.....now I'm sure the roadrace circut at B/ford makes a pretty penny, but......where not tar scidders (I know I've spelt that wrong)and the Preston club I'm sure wouldnt want to waste their money on a track that doesnt get used very often.......does anybody know how many times a year it actually gets used and does it pay its way?. Look at the great stadiums around Australia....MCG, Suncorp stadium, SCG, etc, etc, why dont MA do something that will last and we will be proud of....seems to me that most of the money MA collects is from MX people and yet most of the money MA spends is for Roadracing....I'm I wrong, and/or talking out of my arse....slow down...dont all shoot me down at once ;D yours faithfully....Davey Crocket

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 08:03:18 AM »
Look at the great stadiums around Australia....MCG, Suncorp stadium, SCG, etc, etc, why dont MA do something that will last and we will be proud of…

That just might be the reality of spending $500,000,000.00 on a venue that wouldn't attract 30,000 people over a calendar year.

I would love to be at the meeting when they approve that spending…
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 08:05:29 AM »
Hopefully their silly/brave enough to do it ;D

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 08:08:23 AM »
Good on you Davey, l am with you. I will say this, if MA are going to use Barrabool, they need to focus their efforts towards it, if they don`t the sporting club will be pi==ssed off. they have battled hard to save that track, and MA jumping in, l hope MA live up to their expectation., to make barrabool a sporting complex like Philip island.

« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 08:15:14 AM »

I don't think anyone has given the thumbs down to a GP being held in Oz. Even if you read in between Davey's rants/ wind ups, the complex as it stands needs big dollars spent on it. The track is the easiest part to sort out. At the end of the day, it will have to meet some sort of criteria I would think to be able to have the event. I would also think that there would have been a guarantee that Broadford would be up to standard for the event.
Broadford IS the logical choice to hold one, but will need big bucks thrown at it as it is very run down. I said before I will be there to watch/ support. It was quite amazing how many people I knew at the last one at the time, but now I realise that Queenslanders are really fond of everything they like!

Sour grapes Because you have an mxgp? Come on now, that was a waste of a post. Its only a short plane ride and a hire car away. Nice little weekend away. That might be the difference in mind set we have as opposed to yours.
So... where WILL the money come from to upgrade????
Look at the great stadiums around Australia....MCG, Suncorp stadium, SCG, etc, etc, why dont MA do something that will last and we will be proud of…

That just might be the reality of spending $500,000,000.00 on a venue that wouldn't attract 30,000 people over a calendar year.

I would love to be at the meeting when they approve that spending…

Tell him he's dreamin'  ::)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 08:29:55 AM »
Dreams do come true!!! ;D

All Things 414

« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 08:30:36 AM »
Yup. Sour grapes. Oozing with them......

firko

« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 10:08:08 AM »
F*ck I'm getting a little tired of this Broadford bashing shit. I think that it's a given that there are better tracks to run the event but what's the point of going through this endless MA/Broadford bashing exercise every time Broadford comes on the radar? I personally wish it was being held 2k up the road from my place at Eastern Creek but it's not, it's at Broadford so get over the shock and horror of it not being at Conondale/Barrabool/ANZ Stadium and either support the event by attending or read about it in ADB a month later. 

I'll be there with my good 'ol boy mates enjoying the event for what it is....an opportunity to see the best motocross our country can offer up.