Author Topic: Project RM175F  (Read 40136 times)

monaro308

Re: Project RM175F
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2010, 09:39:47 pm »
Everytime i see a PE up on Ebay.....i know you have an interest on it and i almost feel guilty even looking at it...not that i need another bike  ;D
I suppose women collect shoes and we collect bikes.
Cheers...mario

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2010, 09:49:54 pm »
Of course I always check whatever is on don't let me stop you bidding on something I prefer to buy them privately though I haven't bought a PE of ebay but have tried several times it is good to sell on but makes buying a bit painful.

I secretly probably not that secretly want to get one of each PE which is 16 PE's of which I have 5 different kinds so 11 to go this 400 I am doing up is going to be the main rider if I see good ideas on yours I might pinch them for mine. ;)

But we need a bigger shed my PE's are on the back burner until I finish the gt80 which is starting to come together. :)

1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2010, 12:43:07 pm »
Back again....
Battey box all done

Oneday i might change to the proper PE sized battery which is slimmer to the CT90/110 battery and box i'm using.
If it doesn't get smashed it can stay....we will see.
Next up i made the front engine plates.I had an aluminium plate just for the job.It is even the tougher T4??? grade x 6mm.
Since my laser cutting machine isn't working ::) ::) (joking) the hacksaw,drill,and file is my mode of tools.

The bolts may be temporary as the RM frame has given me the the luxury of maybe making up a bash guard as the bolt holes go straight through and also at the brake pedal guard bolt holes.

I thought i may be up for new sprockets as the PE comes with 12:48 @4:00 ratio
My engine has a 13 front and the RM rear is a 52T...which equals 4:00 ratio  ;D so all i'm up for is chain.

Thats it for another day...cheers Mario

monaro308

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 02:04:06 am »
Frame time......
I was debating which way to go with the front section of the frame where the header section enters the barrel.
I wanted to use a ring/pipe type section to fill the gap.It got a little tight with the way the pipe snakes out and the ring would have been a little weak (maybe) and since i didn't have any pipe that size i decided to go with an outer loop/semi PE looking bash guard.
The pipe is the left over old frame section from the air box-backbone.
I put hacksaw cuts along it and bent it around to suit and welded it up again.
I had some stainless plate laying around (3 or 4mm)and cut sections out to brace it up.
Its not the prettiest design but a lick of paint always makes things look better  :P

Most of the hard stuff is nearly done and a re-assemble in the next day or two to make sure everything fits in. A general clean up of the plastics,new fork seals to buy,engine clean up etc etc.
I managed to find a TM34 carb from tassie and then located another in the US for $50 delivered.

Still sorting out the rear shock as i reckon the one i have is off something else(bike sits lower than it should) and Bahnsy kindly donated some left over '84 shock bits to see what i can come up with...although i have a spotted an '85 shock(needs rebuild) in the US which will fix my problem.
Thats all i have for ya's....cheers mario

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 07:50:07 am »
Not pretty but will  get the job done, I guess the only pretty solution would have been to use the PE front frame section and covert it to single down tube, in fact you should go out and do that right now  ;D Anyway like you say once it is all the same color it will disappear.
formerly Marc.com

monaro308

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 09:38:43 am »
I won't be hacking into the PE frame Marc,people will shoot me around here  ;D
Mind you,i do have an RM100X frame sitting in the shed doing nothing (YET ;))
Once it's painted and the exhaust is there it will all look normal...kinda like a person with a big mole on their face...you try not to look,but you just have to  ;D ;D ;D or like a mother still loves their really ugly child....it is the FRANKENBIKE!
If i score a knackered RM frame down the track,it can still easily be changed.
cheers....mario

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2010, 09:55:03 am »
Nah hack the PE frame, they are easy to come by. BTW still prefer the PE tank on it. I mean what are you going to put under the left side radiator shroud of the RM tank, your lunch ???  ;D ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2010, 10:18:48 am »
I mean what are you going to put under the left side radiator shroud of the RM tank, your lunch ???  ;D ;D
your an idea's man Mark ;D
excellent stuff Mario.
have been enjoying the build so far.
i reckon it all looks pretty good.
lunch hey..... :)
"flat bickie"

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2010, 10:48:09 am »
I mean what are you going to put under the left side radiator shroud of the RM tank, your lunch ???  ;D ;D

VMX Stubbie Holder!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

monaro308

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 01:39:24 pm »
Marc if you can find me another PE175D frame i'll gladly hack into my one....even better one of your cheney frames might do the trick :P :P
Left side radiator area will be taken up with an extra tank,water holder,stubby holder,melways,make up,
spare honda bits when my mates bikes break down....or....a water cooled head onto the aircooled barrel???? hmm and refit the LH radiator!
PE tank can fit on if i put the battery somewhere else.
One step at a time.
Off to work i go...(real work) :'(

DR

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 01:58:39 pm »
Mario, you have an RM100X frame sitting in the shed doing nothing? :o ::)

I've a 100T engine here that's been looking for a home since cd6 if you're interested in selling ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 02:15:19 pm »
I suppose it's a bit late now but a RM 125 could easily go to 150cc(58 X57mm) would make a fairly punchy engine. Just wondering if you managed to repace all the needle rollers without paying the Suzuki tax?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2010, 02:49:17 pm »
what piston would be used for that lozza?

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2010, 04:57:37 pm »
Several available either 58mm (KTM 144 YZ144) or 59mm from NSR/TZM150. The stroke is a bit more involved but easily done.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2010, 08:19:35 pm »

Sorry for being blunt, but that frame mod is just plain fugly.

You would have been better off to extend the downtube down & then join the lower rails into it.
It wouldn't have been much extra work and you woundn't necessarily have had to butcher another frame for the tubing, just measure the size of the down tube, find some the same and find a sleeve to fit inside both.
You could cut & rotate the lower rails to join in.

It currently looks like a "backyard job" (sorry) but to have done it the other way would always have people guessing what it was.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/