Author Topic: Project RM175F  (Read 40138 times)

DR

Re: Project RM175F
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 04:23:56 am »
Looks okay to me ;) There's some ugly things kicking about in vmx circles but for mine this project of Mario's won't be one of them once it's completed 8)

Mick

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 06:06:17 am »
I reckon it is looking good, I am enjoying watching your progress with it.

Cheers Mick.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2010, 07:35:30 am »

It currently looks like a "backyard job" (sorry) but to have done it the other way would always have people guessing what it was.

Sorry Mario mate but I am with Geoff on this one, using old PE frame front rails would sort your front engine mounts, but Geoff is right man of your undeniable talents could do it all from scratch and make it look factory..

Honest answer mate, did the loop for the exhaust used to be a door handle  ;) ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2010, 08:46:42 am »
You would have been better off to extend the downtube down & then join the lower rails into it.

I was thinking EXACTLY the same yesterday.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

suzuki43

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:41 am »
Mario,block out the 'constructive feedback' and continue with your project,and keep sharing your progress.

I think some people forget that we all have finite budgets, and not all of us can do a 'cheque book' restoration.There will always be a better way of modifying anything,but not all of us have unlimited funds to finance it.
Also everyones taste is different,i.e. some people think that Thor swingarms are butt ugly,but the only person who really counts at the end of the day,is the bike owner.
Cheers
Craig

monaro308

« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2010, 09:27:57 am »
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT you bastards.... :P :P :P
GMC the reason it looks like a backyard job is because it's done in my backyard!

Marc that "handle" is the LH frame rail that was cut out and modified.

"IF" i go with the straight down tube,i know its fairly easy to do which i could have done....would anyone have noticed??
I bet once the engine goes back in and the pipe is there,it will probably look like a barrel/head protector loop for the big fat PE topend...i'll wait and see.
Mind you i do now have the luxury of fitting a centre port or offset port engine of my choice  ;)
I'll dummy fit it all today and take a piccy for you and see what you think.
I dont have the luxury of jigs,cut off saws,pipe benders and a rack full of chromemoly tubing to replace sections.
Remember this is a play/woods bike.
Its an easy change to the frame if i have to....keep em coming....i can take it! ;D

I  agree  with you Craig...like marc's "swingarm of the gods"...people hate it but i thought it was something different from the norm'
Thats what we are here for...ideas

Offline Tex

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:22 am »
Hey Mario,

I'm pretty sure I have a crappy RM125Z frame if that's any use to you?

Tex

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2010, 10:09:54 am »
I  agree  with you Craig...like marc's "swingarm of the gods"...people hate it but i thought it was something different from the norm'
Thats what we are here for...ideas

Ah the "swingarm of the gods" bike is almost finished and might I say the final result may surprise a few of the knockers.  ;) 

Sorry Mario, not knocking your bike only intended constructive opinion.

Come clean Craig, you have used the occasional cheque to buy trick bits yourself along the way.  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2010, 10:49:45 am »
Don't listen to them Mario,
This stuff is better than any TV soap opera… much more entertaining.

As someone who's restos take years [for what seem like good reasons to me - and the family], I love following the progress of somebody elses shed time where things acutally seem to happen.

Look forward to the next installment…
VMX42

P.S. but if you aren't happy with the end result, you can always do what Geoff suggested later.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2010, 10:52:42 am »
Well, I wasn’t bagging the project, just the frame mods and yes it was meant as constructive criticism.

“I think some people forget that we all have finite budgets, and not all of us can do a 'cheque book' restoration.There will always be a better way of modifying anything,but not all of us have unlimited funds to finance it.”
That doesn’t really come into it as Mario’s labour and costs are much the same to do it either way.

“I dont have the luxury of jigs,cut off saws,pipe benders and a rack full of chromemoly tubing to replace sections”
Yes, but I wouldn’t be using jigs or cut off saws to do this modification.
(Not using the Brobo at all at the moment since a tube grabbed and spun and I broke the effin blade. :-[ :()
The tube bender and Cro-mo on the shelf are handy but it's easy to work around that, just as you already have.

“but the only person who really counts at the end of the day, is the bike owner.”
I agree entirely.
But  ;D I think I have an old 78 RM 125 frame your welcome to as well if you want.

G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2010, 11:00:27 am »
   I'am sure all the pundits will crap em'selves when mario goes blowin' by em on the little "bush bike"(woods only in sepland)at least he will have a handle to lift her over a log if he needs to,as long as it's a good litte goer who gives a rats :D

monaro308

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2010, 12:30:50 pm »
Whoa fella's......no ones bagging anyone here including you GMC....i'd love to have what you have because you've worked for it and thats your field of work.
So everyone....chill out its just a 4 inch section of frame.

Anyhow,I've gone out and done a refitting of the engine,pipe etc.....and i have to say with all the stuff back on,it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb and i'm gonna keep going with what i have.
The other thing i have just noticed/convinced me was because the engine is offset to the right nearly 10mm the much talked about down tube "looks" to be inline with part of the exhaust port...not a major issue but more work on either the down tube/header pipe or both.

Thanks for the offers TEX and GMC for the frames...i'll keep them in mind.
Huski you are right....bush bike..i've been hanging around "Thumpertalk" too much (in the 2 stroke/vintage) section of course  ;D

I'll upload some more pics later and see what ya's reckon...and thanks for ALL the comments
They are all good...so relax and enjoy.
cheers...mario

Offline floberts

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2010, 05:37:12 pm »
I am really enjoying following this project and the unique approach you are taking to all the problems that arise. I dont think it looks too bad and once its painted will look fine.

Keep up the excellent work.

Cheers
Ben

DR

« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2010, 06:04:15 pm »
Mario, weld another matching loop on the otherside and you're right, it will look like some sort of factory case protection ;)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2010, 07:42:21 pm »
I am liking the project I may even steal a few of your ideas when I get my project started. ;)

I think whatever you do out of the ordinary people will talk about it is good to see the amount of work you are doing on it I am doing a few minor mods not major ones a disc front end which is off a ts250 or there abouts and that will fit using some 82-84 pe175 t/trees because they are 38 over the earlier 36mm. Also I am going to have the lighting made to 12V if I can might even make a new loom so that it feeds every thing as I think that a few items are feed only by the coil and not the battery.

Keep up the good work I think once your pipe is on and frame painted you won't even notice the modified frame keep posting your build and good ideas thanks Michael. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's