Author Topic: Dispelling the mystery between BR MC1 and other 2T oils  (Read 68176 times)

shortshift

Re: Dispelling the mystery between BR MC1 and other 2T oils
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2009, 10:19:30 pm »
Lozza, if I can offer this explanation perhaps to your interesting point.
Fuel/Petrol/Gasoline is a low flash point aromatic solvent first and foremost, (like a commercial refrigerant such as Freon, Ammonia, or liquid Propane that are also solvents, any fridge or HVAC mechanics on this forum?) and because of that like any solvent when it turns from a liquid to a gas it absorbs heat in the cooling process (albeit a very small way in a 2 stroke engine).

In this case we are not "adding" cold (Cryogenics), we are "removing" heat (refridgeration) via this evaporation phase of the fuel. It is why in a refridgeration system you have what is called the evaporators (after the gas is compressed by the compressor or runs through a condensor to bring the gas back to a liquid) where the compressed gas (solvent) is liquified/condensed and then allowed to expand in the Evaporator absorbing the heat that is inside the coolroom. I guess that our coolroom in this case is our crankcase!?! and in place of a recirculatory refridgerant gas system we have a (total loss system) where constant supply of new fuel air mixture (solvent in its gaseous phase) coming in taking what little waste heat it can absorb from engine internals and then finally ending up in the combustion chamber for burning..........but its affects are very minor, and the oil certainly does the job of heat exchange much more effectively. What is the definition of the process of cooling? heat exchange!

But in our engines (unlike a true refridgeration system) we do not raise the pressure of the fuel charge via turbo or supercharging to make it more dense that would almost supercool the incoming fuel charge when it finally expands from a very dense gas to a pure gas phase at around atmospheric pressure in a more profound way. (A simple principle of the vapour absorbtion cycle in a refridgeration system I believe happens in a very small way in 2 & 4 stroke spark ignition engines)

Ideally we also would want the metal of the engine to offer some heat exchange to the gas charge but I feel the metal of the cylinder is busy with constantly absorbing combustion heat and exchanging it into the atmosphere.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:29:47 pm by shortshift »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #76 on: July 21, 2009, 10:23:34 pm »
yes shortshifts post are long but if you really switch on and read it all carefully you will learn something, well i have. too much info is far better than being too short and brief leaving the reader guessing and having to ask a lot of questions.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

shortshift

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2009, 10:26:15 pm »
Ji-gantor, the oil case is only one part of the equation and as you say, the rider must take responsibility and carry out the task of jetting his bike properly only AFTER he has selected his fuel/oil ratio first. No point in trying to fix overheating with more oil, it will only lean out the mixture and make it worse.
I spent hours getting my bikes jetted right. I am more pedantic than anyone.  Went out and bought $40 of jets and got it right and transformed the machine. Only ended up using maybe $15 of those jets but that is the way it is.   I wish I had someone teach me carb jetting when I was 18.

There are dozens of online jetting guides for bikes that readers can access. They also discuss Spark Plug reading but try to get a modern one that wasnt written in the leaded fuel era.

I feel that it is up the rider and bike owner if he wants to ride a well tuned bike to make the effort to invest "in the facilities, time and knowledge" like thousands of us have done.
It is like owning a pet, if you dont have the capacity and care about learning how to care for it then you shouldnt own one.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:54:37 am by shortshift »

Offline Hotelmoto

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2009, 10:30:34 pm »
After all the members that read this topic or a magazine article about this topic are looking for an answer that relates to their situation in terms that they can relate.

How many members would have the facilities, time and knowledge to jet a two stroke bike properly.

Thus the average rider will just pour more oil into their fuel and see how she goes.
This can lead to a lean air to fuel mix and seizure.

Thats why we are average rider's. But all this information that you and all forum members provide can only help. I have read the VMX article and I have read this thread, and now this average rider will go to the shed and apply the information provided.  But it will take a lot more convincing to get me off 25:1 mix it worked in my YZ80E when I was 12, and its working in my 78 RM400, with Castrol TTS it was Castrol TT back in 78.

Hotelmoto

firko

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2009, 11:08:51 pm »
As knowledgable as Shortshift obviously is on the slippery stuff, my eyes are glazing over and I'm going into information overload. There comes a time in an old blokes life when too much information is...errr, too much information. I've learned enough to get me through without nipping the old Maico up so I'll wander off and leave the topic to you techno junkies.

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2009, 11:36:57 pm »
good LONG read shortshift you have taught us all alot about oils,now we are armed with this knowledge alot of people seem confused about how to jet to adviod  a seiza,an old tuner told me the best way was start out way rich and come down till it runs right and ive never had a problem following his advice maybe we need a carb masterclass for the people that dont understand how the different slide openings eg fully open 3/4 1/2 1/4 idle and what jets there using at these settings

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 22, 2009, 07:55:53 am »
Starting rich is the ONLY way to go Matt. HERE is a good carburetor tuning manual, from me old mate Ian in SA.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Ji Gantor

« Reply #82 on: July 22, 2009, 06:42:04 pm »
Okay if I want to test the theory that more than 40:1 oil pre-mix will produce significantly more horse power how can I do this.

Well I guess the best way is to pay a lot of money and have the bike dynode.

The second way that is quite a bit cheaper would be to fill the tank with 40:1 mix and run the bike for 30 minutes, stop the engine, remove the plug and do a compression test. Then fill the tank with 25:1 mix, run the engine for 30 minutes, stop the engine, remove the plug and do another compression test.

The first reading should be significantly lower than the second if this theory is correct. If the readings are only different by a small amount say less than 10% is it worth while changing for the horse power gain. This test has nothing to do with anti-ware or cooling just horse power gain. This test does not take into account the horse power loss due to increased oil in the crankcase.

After the nationals I will conduct this myth busting test and report back.

Ji

oldfart

« Reply #83 on: July 22, 2009, 07:15:52 pm »
Alex , I have just finished building a new motor and have got my jetting right ( to my satisfaction that is )
Give me a few months and I will pull the piston out after running on 20-1 motul 710.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 22, 2009, 08:22:46 pm »
Okay if I want to test the theory that more than 40:1 oil pre-mix will produce significantly more horse power how can I do this.

Well I guess the best way is to pay a lot of money and have the bike dynode.

The second way that is quite a bit cheaper would be to fill the tank with 40:1 mix and run the bike for 30 minutes, stop the engine, remove the plug and do a compression test. Then fill the tank with 25:1 mix, run the engine for 30 minutes, stop the engine, remove the plug and do another compression test.

The first reading should be significantly lower than the second if this theory is correct. If the readings are only different by a small amount say less than 10% is it worth while changing for the horse power gain.

Huh?
Among other things, more oil means/is supposed to mean:
Increased heat transfer, allowing more agressive tuning;
More lubrication, meaning less losses to parasitic drag.

Neither of these are particularly related to compression readings.

Further, are you going to be able to ride the bike consistantly for an hour?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 22, 2009, 09:03:30 pm »
I'm about to replace a 15 hr piston and ring set from a ktm 50 sx, spent it's whole life at 15000 rpm on r30 at 50:1.
Will fit new piston and run castrol tts at 25:1 and see how it looks at 15 hrs.

shortshift

« Reply #86 on: July 22, 2009, 09:10:52 pm »
Hotelmoto, Do you recall when Castrol TTS was first launched in the early 80's in that beautiful 2 litre half rectangular tall metal can with the 1st class British green paint job on it and the red pull out easy pour spout?  (If anyone still has one in their collection if they can post a photo of it)
It was the right technology, at the right time, in the right packaging, at a reasonable price by a brand name that already had credibility in the motorcycle market.  It sold like crazy all over the world, and it was and still is a top product that in many cases is unequalled in its class. (About the same time it already bought out complimentary GPS 20W/50 and R-Synthetic 15W/50 for 4 strokes, and these products were locally blended with imported ingredients of course) And there was hardly any competition at the time with this product unlike today when the rider becomes mesmerised when he walks into a bike shop. In the 80's just the Castrol logo alone was worth A$350 Million in goodwill .

JiGantor (Adam Savage!) perhaps the "best" way I think is to conduct seat of the pants testing that translates to real world ridability. We can open our wallets, or sell our car, to pay for someone's rolling dyno (Like Jennings did with Jerry Branchs Dynoroom). I have used a Dyno years ago for roadrace bikes and they are not good for the engine, the crankshafts and pins suffer under prolonged use from the resistance and reverse torque from the dyno. I am not sure if you can use MX type tyres on a Dyno......I heard it will cause slippage from knob curl (I was going to say knob bend over) not allowing full HP to be applied to the dyno resulting in inaccurate readouts. They analyse your exhaust gas and allow jet changes and measure HP & torque and can have benefits but track testing was our best guage.

Conducting a compression test between oil ratios I am not sure will offer any figures that can be used conclusively. You are ineffect doubling the amount of oil by going to near 20:1. In theory you should show a greater cranking compression figure but not by too much. A hot engine with your throttle held wide open. It doesnt measure HP gains from reduced friction (see my extract below). More oil seals the engine up like you wouldnt believe. I was at my tuners shop today to inspect some racing outboards I am having built and we decided to run 20:1 in these after running 20:1 in the previous engine. Most racers traditionally run 30-40:1 in our class (F2 Tunnelboats) and some are starting to go richer from what US and UK winning teams are doing. We have EFI and O2 sensors so changes are made automatically to fuel delivery. The ECU and fuel can be changed further on the Mercury laptop. My tuner today said to me more oil will offer us a greater blast from out of the corners because the bores will be better sealed and offer snappier acceleration from reduced blowby. "20:1 is like an extra 20 thou off the barrel"
We suffered from a fall in power when running leaner oil ratios out of the turn. Even his other customers like the SLSC boats obtain better power running more oil (25:1) than the 50:1 recommended by Tohatsu (Most SLSC' s use this brand, they are the best engine under 30HP).

A10% compression increase is like going from a typical 185PSI to around 203PSI and any tuner will tell you that is significant and it is like taking perhaps 15-20 thou off the head.

What needs to be done is to mix a batch of 20:1 (10 litres + 500ml oil) and run it. You may find two things shortly after your engine gets its 20:1 tthroughout it. An increase in power and torque across the rev range, OR signs of leaness where you need to raise the needle by lowering the clip position. This helped me as I write below. You wont need to touch your pilot jet, perhaps fiddle with the air screw. I wouldnt worry about the main jet for now as you are testing the midrange, later maybe go a jet higher. You can test the main jet for correctness via the variuos methods of accelerating and closing the throttle to see if you get acceleration (run on) or deceleration. (Read  the jetting guide offered by Lozza that should explain this)

Below is an extract from a ride report I put in the Vinduro section last year which discusses what proper jetting can do for you (Even by running 102 Octane race gas it did not stop the severe detonation till I fixed the jetting.......do not try to fix detonation by simply going to higher octane fuel!! :-

"The course wound over the undulating forested hills for a 16KM loop of single track. The day before I made the error of lowering my jet needle to the lowest point after reading one of the US mag articles in an attempt to fix the poor midrange and lack of power. The bike on the first lap detonated severely and of course the transition from different throttle openings was poor with the bike stuttering and breaking up when trying to wind it out.  I was not very happy and thought something major is wrong with the engine or stators whatever. At one stage I thought the bike would quit as it sounded like little men in the head with tiny hammers smashing away.
I had one guy come up behind me and I let him pass me and he was on a 75'DT250 with trials tyres and he zigged zag fantastically through the forest as his centre of gravity was very low to the ground. I caught up to him on a greasy hill and overtook him again.

So, I came back to the pits after my first lap and was considering just throwing the bike back up onto the trailer and calling it quits for the day.
After Eugene (owns same model bike) came back I told him how bad my bike ran so he took it up the road for a spin and came back and said the bike doesnt go nowhere as crisp and nice as his. "Just totally different" shaking his head. "Must be all carboned up inside!"
Eugene and his workmates were camped next to me and Chris an expat New Zealander who came along to see what this Vinduro thing was all about (He is restoring a 81KDX175 (That lunched its bottom end as he ran 50:1 in it in another event 3 months later), said that my carb was running way too lean and that i shouldnt have lowered the needle so much. He said raise the needle to the second notch from the lowest postion and "also try winding out the idle screw even up to 3.5 turns from closed, the 1.5 turns is only the factory setting". So I pulled it apart and did that (I just turned the screw out 2 turns), started the bike and it was an entirley new machine from that moment onwards. It wound out crisply and buzzed all the way to the top end that it has never done before. No detonation, no running on after closing the throttle (reed flutter) and I came back and said it was a new bike. No more staggering, popping and crackling, just a smooth clean rise in revs. I was wrapt! I might take it to its highest setting and see if it gets better or worse (I have since done that it goes even better). I will also now reduce the main jet size from the 310 back to the stock 300 or even the 290 (which came with the bike when i got it) as recommended in one of the mag tests as i was enriching the wrong circuit. It should pull even cleaner. (now run a 280 but will also test a 290 at this weekends event)

I was now anxiuos to get back out onto the track for my 2nd run. I would go out with Chris on Eugenes 400 when Peter came back after going for a lap on it. (I will uploade some pics of Pete physically stuffed and bogged in the special test gully section)

At this point it started to rain again but neither of us cared (least the New Zealander from Dunedin who would mostly ride in the rain and snow) and we set off for the checkpoint and took off up the track and I just left it in 3rd gear (and as the Trail and Trail article once said, leave it in 3rd gear and use it like an automatic) and this is what i did. It just accelerated away from low revs and pulled like my old XR350's even better now that i look back! I was just so happy, with the engine zapping on with no issues. The corners came up far too quick and I had to really concentrate 100% with no mind wandering allowed or it was into a tree. With all the other mods I have done to the engine and exhaust the bike had way too much wasted power now I thought. I will never use it all unless I am out in a desert race.  I never touched 4th and 5th as it was a moderate tight to open terrain and now top gear WOT would be frightening. Just twist the grip before the mudholes and ruts and through you go without any worry as before it would hesitate and you couldnt get power on in that instant when you came across an obstacle unexpectedly."

Going from the bottom setting of the needle to the top is a VERY big difference and my bike loved it, it was its ideal setting. The magazine article did not apply to my bike. And it did not take an hour of riding it was instantaneouos. I know when switching oil ratios will take a bit longer. I think the test bike back in 1980 ran MC-1 @ 50:1 .

As a result not only was the fuel/air mixture richer that produced great gobs of power and torque but it was being lubricated better with more oil going through. It also did not smoke any more than before. I would have loved the previous owner to have ridden the bike again.
The moral of this story is learn to jet your bike right. It may be the transformation your bike needs. Ask someone who knows bikes better than you ride it for you and take their advice as a guide.

Lozza, 710 @ 20:1 sounds good as long as the jetting is spot on regardless of the bike. As a few have said start rich and work down. I spoke to a desert racer who raced the Finke and Mt Ebenezer and due to the dryness of the West QLD desert air they jetted very rich to the point where the bike "blubbers" and then worked back.

From some other recent comments it is apparent that there is demand by other readers for information on oils and fuels, including the important task of jetting. Why have so many people been so shy and laidback to not ask for this information in the past.
I have my own questions like why do reeds "flutter" when the jetting is lean? It makes that "Ung Ung Ung" sounds when you back off the throttle and the engine runs on. It makes it then hard to corner properly. What causes that and what goes on in the crankcases to cause that?...........also what is the difference between your standard metal reeds, Boyeson reeds and the latest Carbon fibre reeds as to why one produces either better throttle response, power& torque or all 3 things?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:15:53 pm by shortshift »

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2009, 10:07:58 pm »
Firstly HP isn't 'lost in the cranckcase because of oil in there. HP is lost through incorrect jetting and ignition on a standard bike and enhanced with removing in efficiencies and optimising jetting and ignition on a modified engine.Then that all must work with the gearbox.
Other than a dyno, in an hour you could make 10 changes and make 30 pulls, which is a much more meaningful test. If you got an expert rider who could lap within 0.25sec each lap for 30mins that would reveal something.
Reeds flutter with lean jetting ??? Exactly how can you determine reeds are fluttering? There are several causes of reed flutter none are remotely related to jetting.
Reeds are governed by Young's Modulus or their elasticity, they all have a resonance frequency and a stiffness modulus which basicaly means one is stiffer than the other. Reeds were in the beginning stainless steel which have high stiffness and high weight.Then came fibreglass much lower weight and lower stiffness finally carbon fibre even lower weight and lower stiffness.Lower stiffness and lower weight (some one con correct me here ) gives a higher resonant frequency which in theory gives higher rpm before the reed flutters, steel is the opposite.Carbon gives the best of both worlds being light so less inertia is required to lift the petal and resistant to resonance,only drawback is they fatigue a bit faster( read after 1 season they are not a snappy as when first installed). Boyensen's geez don't start me, the top reed opens easily and the bottom reed barely moves, as rpm rises the top reed (especialy with stops removed) flapps uncontrolably and the bottom reed still barely moves. Worst of both worlds. Noted RD tuner Ron Chinoy from India repeated the Robert Fleck QUB tests and found this to be true from strobing a running engine at various rpm with a sight glass in the reed cavity.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2009, 10:19:38 pm »
what engine was this done on? just because the bottom petal didnt move in this one? test on one? make and model bike doesent necesarily mean the bottom petal stays still in every engine. Im sure i have said this before but im sure that the designers of Boyesens did heaps of testing back then and if they were really crap and the bottom petal didnt move, then they would be no better than the stock single stage petals. If they were that crap im sure 1000's of people wouldnt buy them and would stick with standard ones. I just dont get it.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:21:26 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 23, 2009, 12:58:44 am »
"Noted RD tuner" is giving you a small hint, Robert Fleck's comprehensive test was done on a early 90's YZ 250. The bit you don't get is Boyensen was in business to sell you bits and pieces .Ron and the clever bods at QUB were doing it for the knowledge and understanding. Can you see the difference?Why would the experiment NOT be the same in every engine, a reed is just a one way check valve, than reacts to the positive and negative pressures behind and in front of it.
1000's people bought Kylie Minogue records, and Rubic's cubes but that they are good,it just means clever marketing.
Feel free to explain how a really stiff bottom petal will move when most of the intake velocity will lift the top petal easily ? That's why the dual stage reeds have better bottom end off pipe when intake inertia is low soon as it comes on pipe the gains turn into losses for this very reason. Ill email you the SAE paper if you want.