Author Topic: Dispelling the mystery between BR MC1 and other 2T oils  (Read 68167 times)

shortshift

Re: Dispelling the mystery between BR MC1 and other 2T oils
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2009, 08:45:29 pm »
One of the most interesting & popular tools Lubrication Engineers have in their kit is the "Flowstick". It is primarily used to compare the viscosities between a new oil and its used oil constituent. 
You will see the photo's below that illustrates the use of this simple apparatus. In the real world we put the new oil out of the container (Engine, Gear, Hydraulic, Compressor or Turbine oil) into one side (lower side in photo) and a sample of the used oil into the upper side. We wait till the oil temperatures are the same. We then tip the flowstick up to its predetermined angle and bring it back to the horizontal position when the new oil hits the mark about 3/4 way down the stick. On the used oil side you have other marks that mark a range where the oil is either suitable for further service or is beyond the viscosity limits rendering the oil unsuitable for further service and needs to changed. The oil can then be sent to the lab if desired for further testing (oxidation, particles, solids, contamination with water, fuels, glycols and dozens of other tests depending on the machinery it was used in).

In our case today we also used the flowstick to compare viscosities/flow rates of some popular 2T oils in the market. This follows my discussion early on in the thread when I mentioned viscosities of the oils. This relates to film thicknesses, ability of the oil to be mixed at greater concentrations, and oil migration rates.
I went out and bought some Motul 800 & 710, Bel-Ray Si7, Maxima 927 Castor/Synthetic and Castrol Power 1 TTS. I already had some Alisyn Pro-Power 21 Racing 2T oil that I import with our other US shipments for my own use and offload some of this once a year to prepaid orders from certain customers. (It is currently unheard of in Australia in the bike market except in the marine, PWC and Kart scene.)

I went out to look for Bel-Ray MC-1......couldnt find it anywhere as it was one prime product I needed for this comparison and when I get some I will post the flow tests with it. I went around to 6 bike shops, "Oh no we dont sell MC-1 anymore, most people have gone to using this (pointing to the 800)". "Nah we dont stock it, it was too heavy and hard to mix we have these other BR products if you want".  "Why are you using the 710 in your bike it has been thinned down for injector use".............incorrect it hasnt been thinned down it just uses a lighter grade of Ester and perhaps a small concentration of PIB. Another shop I went to I said to the owner I cannot believe you dont have a full range of Maxima here on the stand, "Ahh, Our shop in Frankston sells heaps and always has but up here we dont move much of it" They only had Maxima 4T oils, gear oils, filter oil and Castor 927 as "some guys use it around here" and NO SuperM Injector or Premix!.

One shop where I bought the Si7 and 710 after enquiring what i am doing with the oils the sales assistant went on with a speal how I shouldnt be running 20:1 as you will get fouled spark plugs, deposits, carbon deposits and lots of smoke. Another dude buying parts for his bike heard this and said, "In me ole RM 125 I used Castrol TTS at 50:1 and it ran great, lots of power......if you want more power use less oil as you have more fuel to make power and with more oil you will loose power. I should have used 80:1 for more power." Common misconceptions carried over the decades. I was going to say why use oil at oil then??

Another observation I noticed was the vast differences in merchandising between oil suppliers. Castrol and Shell had very good stands (as the reps are always out on the road calling into servo's and convenience stores) with a complete range of all motorcycle products/cleaners etc. One shop didnt carry Castrol which surprised me. Another had some left over Silkolene Pro 2T (which is very good) and said they lacked support. (I will perhaps make him an offer to clear the last 2 x 4 litre packs)
Out of all the niche suppliers Motul had by far the best merchandising in every shop, then Motrex, ELF, Maxima. Not one shop had a complete range of Bel-Ray products, some had a few of their 4T range (Thumper) but no 2T oils, One had only one of their 2T oils (the Si7 I bought and nothing else), I wanted to actually buy the Bel-Ray H1R (that is slightly heavier than the Si7) but no one had it.  One of the best penetrating oils I have ever used is their 6 in 1 All Purpose Lubricant in an aerosol and no-one had it.
Another thing is the prices of the products these days.(f--k......a slab of Vic costs as much as litre of 800/927/Si-7) I found the Shell Advance products to be the most realistic in price/ quality correlation (eg : Advance VSX-2). Castrol was between the niche players and Shell. I didnt go to a Honda dealer as they have also Mobil and KTM stock lots of Motrex due to tie ups with these motorcycle manufacturers. One shop had Castrol A747 for $49.95 a litre! The other leading grades were all 3-4 bucks either way a litre.

(I wont use all these products I purchased myself and will use them as giveaways at this weekends Vinduro with other sponsors items........I will use either the Si7 or TTS for my mixes this weekend  at 20:1).

As the old saying goes a picture is worth a thousand words. The first pic shows the flow rates for Motul 800 (red), Motul 710 (Green), Bel-Ray Si-7 (light blue) and Castrol TTS (dark blue). The variation between 800 and 710 are obvious. Si7 and TTS are neck and neck.  If we had the BR H1R it would be about a bit more than inch higher than the TTS/Si7 about the same length the 710 was lower than the TTS/Si7 combo but higher.
I wanted to have MC-1 next to 800 and from its specs it would be about half way further up the flowstick barely making it out of the starting gate.

The other photo's show 800 vs Maxima 927 vs Alisyn 21 (used as reference oil only). I had to let the 800 flow a bit longer for illustration purposes as the 927 Castor fortified oil was very thick in comparison. 927 is almost 50% slower flowing than 800.  When looking at the data sheets between 800 and 927 they almost share the same viscosity (927 is slightly heavier @ 40c) but their Viscosity Indexes are quite different (Figures that measure an oils resistence in its viscosity/flow rate to temperature change). 135 vs 99. This means the 927 will not flow as easily at the same temperature. Its cold flow properties are not as good. As we discussed in the past a polar compound lke Castor is perhaps unequalled in lubrication film strength at high temps but being polar it has an opposite disadvantage in mixing, storage/shelf life and poorer lubrication reliability in colder operating conditions (ie : premix snowmobile applications).

It brings up the arguement that Castor fortified oils need to be mixed well and as it says on the label dont mix with fuels lower than Specific Gravities of 0.785 like Avgas 100 being the limit. This is because of rapid oil separation if left still as the high molecular weight of the oil will try to come out of suspension.

When cleaning out the flowsticks between tests I must say the 800 had very high adhesion properties to it which translates to its adherability to engine parts when in use. This has both advantages and disadvantages in a 2 cycle engine as the correct balance must be sought in order to allow oil migration through the engine. The high adhesive nature is also required for powervalves.
Once I get some MC-1 I will do a tri-comparison using 800 & 927. My guess from the specs it will be around the flow or perhaps a little slower than 927.
This has hopefully given  the 2 stroke owner a greater appreciation for understanding more what is sitting on the shelf in the bottle and how it may impact (from earlier discussions) on the lubrication of his machine and rationale for recommended ratios by the maker.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:02:09 pm by shortshift »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2009, 08:57:53 pm »
i look forward to hearing how you go with the Belray Si7 at 20 to 1. im just here shaking my head at those things the guys in the shop said to you. ::)
Some people dont realise pretty much all of the old bikes were designed to run on ratios around 20-30 to 1 with light viscosity oils and not the wiz bang MC-1 that was ment for 50 to1 that emerged in the late70's early 80's, so what that guy said about light oils only ment for injector systems is rubbish i reckon.

there should be stocks of Belray MC-1 in the country. Contact - http://www.ficeda.com.au/
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:07:10 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Ji Gantor

« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2009, 09:06:26 pm »
Hi Shortshift,
And you said that nearly $40.00/l for 747 at Super cheap was dear!

Is the Silkolene as good as the Maxima Super M injector?

I told you it is very hard to get Maxima didn't I.
I am still waiting for my oil I ordered last Monday, and there is stock here in Brisbane at the warehouse.

Ji

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

shortshift

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:11 pm »
I walk into some bike shops and you wonder if they have too many staff, hence the higher costs on some of their products. Saying that i looked at Autobarn who also stocks Repsol motorcycle oils from Spain which are good which I thought were expensive but now in hindsight I think they were well priced. As was the Castrol. I will see how much they sell a 4 litre of Power 1 TTS.

Ok LWC, I was going to toss a coin in the morning to decide between the Si-7 and the TTS, you made my decision easier, I will use the Si-7 then. it is the same vis.

The Silkolene was this item and it looks fine, I will try to get a spec sheet from the people I know at Fuchs (who distribute it) to check it out further. One of the best airfilter oils I used was from Silkolene many eyars ago, then is disappeared.

It says : The ultimate fully synthetic 2-stroke off road racing engine oil! Formulated using Electrosyntec Technology to provide exceptional anti-seize properties, usually only associated with castor-based oils. Grand Prix track experience has proven that PRO 2 SX provides the latest racing engines with outstanding load-carrying and cleanliness necessary for full power output, even at high fuel to oil ratios. Combats varnish and carbon deposits and is resistant to ring-sticking and plug fouling, helping to maintain full output for the track life of an engine. Contains special additives to prevent the throttle sticking in wet conditions, a problem experienced with some types of racing carburettors. Forms a highly effective seal between cylinder, piston and ring, enabling the engine to produce optimum power throughout the rev range. Extends engine life and can double crank life in certain applications."

« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:22:36 pm by shortshift »

lc4

« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2009, 09:40:05 pm »
Whow!  :o  my head started to spin after the first two pages :D, cut to the short of it what brand and what ratio should I run in a 90 water cooled Honda with stock jetting?  ??? . Original Honda recommendation is 20:1
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:43:39 pm by lc4 »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2009, 09:43:57 pm »
Hi LWC,
Yes Steve Cramer brings Maxima into this country, but we can not buy from him.
In Queensland there is only one representative for Steve. This rep supplies all the bike shops around Brisbane as orders roll in. No shop that I rang stocks Maxima 2t oil on their shelf and I rang the rep and he also told me that no shop in Brisbane has it on their shelf. So we have to order it and wait for at least a week. We also have to pay, it would seem in my experience the courier fee to get it to the shop.

TTS, 747 or Silkolene is much easier as they are available at Super Cheap.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2009, 09:45:26 pm »
Thanks Ic4,
What did I say,
This is what the average member wants to know.

Ji

Ji Gantor

« Reply #98 on: July 24, 2009, 10:06:51 pm »
I still think this is the best thread I have read in ages.
Shortshift those simple viscosity test images are great.
Simple tests are all ways the best.
We can all see the difference between the oils.
Thanks for taking the time.

I would like to see this test run with Motul 800, Castrol 747, Maxima 927, Silkolene and Maxima Super M injector side by side. Where can I purchase these test units from so I can run my own tests?
Is there also a simple test to determine octane level in fuel?

Keep up the good work Shortshift.
Ji

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 24, 2009, 10:16:22 pm »
Rock Oil and Penrite do a Caster-synthetic if anyones looking for that sort of oil.
http://www.penriteoil.com.au/products/specialty-automotive-products/sin_race_castor

cant seem to find the Rock oil castor oil on their website but i know its in the distibutors catalogue at work so i will double check.

found it here though so it must be around
http://www.ooracing.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=1301

http://shop.wemoto.com/pictures.dyn?k=RO-RACINGCASTOR-1L

might be easier to get than Maxima
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:35:38 pm by LWC82PE »

Ji Gantor

« Reply #100 on: July 25, 2009, 08:57:50 am »
Typical, the bike shop has the Maxima in shop but they received the Super M not The Super M Injector like I ordered.
The following tech data is for the Maxima Super M injector oil.
Cst is 56.7 @ 40C this is still to high is it not?
We should be looking for 40-50Cst is that what you recommended.

Technical Data

Color D 1500 Orange
Gravity °A.P.I. 26.7
Viscosity SUS @ 100°F 264
Viscosity SUS @ 210°F 56
Viscosity cSt @ 40°C 56.7
Viscosity cSt @ 100°C 9.07
Pour Point, °F -30
Flash Point, °F 220
Fire Point, °F 250
Viscosity Index 138
SAE Viscosity 20

Silkolene Pro 2 SX is SAE 40 w this would be miles to viscous would it not.

Ji

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 25, 2009, 01:04:48 pm »
that Silkolene is the one I currently use at 40:1 - when motors have been pulled apart etc all has looked good.  Easy to get hold of as well - mixes easily etc etc etc.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 26, 2009, 03:59:25 am »
Shortshift. thanks for a great thread.....seems here in the USA we prefer to debate who we hate...who we hate by proxy etc. Great tech stuff here.

Anyway, what do you think of the Silkolene KR2-it shows an SAE viscosity of 30, or are there any castor fortifed synthetics with an SAE viscosity of 20? It seems from most of the thread that it is preferred to run a thinner oil-and more of it ( like 20:1 vs 40:1).  Also, for here n the USA, what do you think of VP racing's C12 fuel for our vintage two strokes?
Life is suddenly very Monaro

firko

« Reply #103 on: July 26, 2009, 08:55:40 am »
James I ran VP C12 and RC3 castor oil in my '73 250 Maico on dirt track back in the late 90s and it definitely produced the power. We got 27bhp at the wheel on the dyno which is pretty damn good for a bone stock 250 (except for the oldschool Wheelsmith pipe) but eventually gace up on C12 and went back to methanol as the C12 was too finicky to jet. A cloud would come over and you'd have to change the main!

My mate, Chris Ellis rode the bike at the Nepean Vintage Aussie Dirt track titles and he diced pretty closely and beat in some races with # 52 and Grassy from this forum who have a pair of very quick big horsepower Elsinores. Not bad for a stock as a bog Maico that prior to using C12 and setting it up on the dyno had more often than not stayed parked in my shed because it was too slow to race, even for me.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 26, 2009, 09:55:14 am »
It's a simple fact of using the proper race fuels is you will have to get aquainted with effects of changes in Relative Air Density(RAD). Once you have a RAD chart for your engine the fuels are dead easy to jet to the point of deto every time the engine runs.It's no fault of the fuel.The real VP fuel is ROO16 that is is just pour in HP but at $13 a litre it would want to be
Jesus only loves two strokes