Author Topic: Progress Photos  (Read 13229 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
Progress Photos
« on: September 14, 2008, 02:04:57 pm »
After a fair bit of bagging from some of the blokes on here about how long this thing is taking me ::), and because this Yamaha forum has been so slow I have decided to put up some progress photos.
I was going to leave it until I was finished, but as one of my fellow Yamaha owners pointed out - some of us may not last that long  ;D ;D ;D ;D.
So at the risk of exposing myself to more humiliation here goes.....  The front wheel is off 'cause I left the spacer in the "other workshop".
The bike is being assembled at home in possibly the worlds smallest workspace (  >:( >:( ).
Tank is still a work in progress - there was some very deep crazing, but it is going to come up well.
Bottom end of motor needs to be split again so I can add a circlip to the transmission and put the crank seals in the right way  :-[
Otherwise everything is painted and ready to put back together.

Remaining shopping list is :
Intake manifold from Rob at 4R's
Pipe from Retro Rocket
Side covers from XYZ (as VMX Plastocs are still a way off)
Cable saver number plate from DC plastics (Unless someone else has a better idea)

I am pretty happy with the results so far (even though it has taken me forever).
Thanks to all on here for sharing your knowledge.  I have done 90% of this with tips I have got from people on here, so thanks everyone - you know who you are.

Please excuse the crap in the background.

Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline VMX Andrew

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Progress Photos
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 03:18:47 pm »
nice bike YZ250H....i have to say its going to look even better than mine...
one tip though...dont forget to put that airfilter on that cage.... ;)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 07:16:26 pm »
Tony shes looks the part, those silver xcel rims look great. Your making me feel guilty now because I havnt even looked at my YZ250H. I should do something about that.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 07:30:45 pm »
Looking good 250H, it's making me very aware of how slow my XT project is going at present, backwards?????????!!!!!!!

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:19:04 pm »
Is that all you have done c'mon Barsby . Nah it looks good  mate it will be great with a engine and wheels
yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 08:23:46 pm »
Looks like a new one ,Hey i cant see no fridge in there ???

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 11:09:08 am »
Thanks Guys.
Andrew,  I saved the photos of your bike from your thread ages ago and used it as inspiration for my resto.  If mine finishes up as good as yours mate I will be more than happy.  It is amazing how much motivation you get out of someone else posting progress picks.  Look how many views are in DJ's Noguchi thread :o :o.

DJ and Brent - get into those restos lads  :).
I am very happy with those excel rims DJ.  Despite what has been said about Vintage Iron (I think even you have had trouble) I was happy with the service and particularly happy with the price and exchange rate at the time.  The only thing I was cranky about is the fact that I wasted literally months of time trying to restore the Old DIDs - especially the back one.  A lesson well learnt there - if it is too far gone toss it and get something else.  I got front and rear drilled excels and a 125H seat landed on my doorstep for $AU469.  You can't complain about that.  Particularly after some prices I got from Oz.  But I don't want to start that debate again.

KB - one beer fridge is never enough mate.  There are 2 on the other wall  ;)  ;D   

The only other thing I regret is not taking more before photos.  I do have some, but I'll put those up when I am finally finished.   Back to tank sanding now (I do have some before photos of that) - last day of holidays :'( :'(.

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 12:13:38 pm »
did the excels work with the standard spokes or did you get em made up mate
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 02:27:36 pm »
standard spokes seemed to work OK caps.  I think the guy that did them asked what sort of spokes I was using - can't remember it was 5am  ::)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 04:11:17 pm »
Caps,
Excel rims can be used, but they need to be redrilled to do it right, the angle of the spoke from the hub to rim is different between new (Disc) and old (Drum) hubs. I respoked a set of rims with new excel rims but could not get it trued and the spokes had a funny curve upon entering the rim, had the rims redrilled and all was good.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2008, 04:21:28 pm »
i know about the angle the problem ive haqd in the past is ive had to get oversize nipple as the stock nipples are too small for the holes in the aftermarket rims
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 04:45:32 pm »
Not sure how much clearance they are supposed to have, but they look fine.  I had them drilled specifically for the bike.  The nipples aren't what I'd call loose in the holes.  I will try to take a close up.

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 04:57:21 pm »
thanks mate
MUGEN power

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 06:45:20 pm »
Here you go - front and back - the worst examples I could find.  Have I buggered up ???
I will spit chips if you tell me I have to start again  >:( >:(

Rear

Front

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 07:37:10 pm »
min had a good 1.5 mm each side there not bad
MUGEN power