Author Topic: Vintage Nats - standard of racing and dealing with different levels of talent  (Read 27462 times)

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Its a National championship.......fastest guy wins.....End of story ...its racing not a parade......not trying to offend anybody and the track is the same for everyone.....up for you to negotiate.50 year old who rides modern vets and pre 90 back ......former Pro class modern in WA at 38yrs......racing is racing...just saying! ;-)
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
but same again Richard - if you wish to set the Nats up for (especially in VMX) 5% of the racing population best of luck with your turn up.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline Richo52

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
But everyone welcome to ride Rosco......you don't have to be fast or clear the doubles etc......its just the winner does! Simple all welcome......stop whingeing everyone !!!!!!
SOME BIKES AND CARS

Simo63

But everyone welcome to ride Rosco......you don't have to be fast or clear the doubles etc......its just the winner does! Simple all welcome......stop whingeing everyone !!!!!!

Who is whinging Richo?? The event was bloody fantastic and in an effort to make it even better, people are giving constructive comments about how to improve the event and hopefully ensure the longevity of the nationals.  Does that classify as whinging?  I have 2 businesses and I love to hear good things about the product and the service people receive however if there are any complaints I really want to hear about them .. that way I can deal with what ever the issue is and improve the product and service.  To do anything else is detrimental and akin to sticking my head up my arse.

This "man up and get on with it" bravado attitude some people have has resulted in some very bad outcomes in the past ... just look at some previous surf titles.  I won't say any more on that but I hope you understand where I am coming from.

And one more thing ... you seem to be happy enough to throw in your opinion and discount everyone elses ... but were you even at the event and did you ride the track thus enabling you to give an informed opinion?  If not then maybe you should listen a bit more to those that were and did.  Simo63 .. VMX Gumby.

Offline Digga

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Its a National championship.......fastest guy wins.....End of story ...its racing not a parade......not trying to offend anybody and the track is the same for everyone.....up for you to negotiate.50 year old who rides modern vets and pre 90 back ......former Pro class modern in WA at 38yrs......racing is racing...just saying! ;-)
Based on this logic thinking, if you do the numbers for a field of "go fast only/likely winners" then the entry fees should escalate to around $1250 - $1500 per rider for those who have any chance at all of winning some silverware. The number of races will reduce as there will only be a dozen or so riders & should get the whole thing over before lunch with the fun factor dropping from high to sub zero!

Following the same line, our famous national events like the Melbourne Cup & the Sydney-Hobart would be down to 2 or 3 horse/boat races - go figure  :o
1977 Yamaha YZ250D, 1977 Yamaha YZ400D, 1980 Yamaha YZ125G

Offline popeye

• Legend
  • 1-2-3 wheel's l don't care...All good fun.
    • View Profile
Just reading Teds comments about about my comentry on the weekend, very sorry I wasn't up to your standard Ted, I was asked to do the sidecars mainly because I ride with these guys normally and i know them and there bikes, then asked by OJ the commentator to give him a hand, your quite welcome next time to do some yourself if you think you can do a better job, I did go to the front of the program and look at where people came from but could not make head tail of wwmx, chamx, and all the other abbreviated club, next time given more notice I would do some research into the riders and where they come from, those who no me no I'm a happy go luck guy so see you next time TED and we have a beer and you can tell me how to do it

Thx Popeye
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 07:54:30 PM by popeye »
IN IT FOR THE FUN OF IT. LIKE MR NIKE SAYS JUST DO IT.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
Comments I overheard Popeye indicated you did a good job.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
Popeye did a great job.. I was impressed

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Popeye did a great job.. I was impressed

Comments I overheard Popeye indicated you did a good job.

Yep! ditto FFS it sure was 1000% better than listening to silence.

Wonder why a lot of the guys I know think the forum contributes less and less to VMX when you have to listen to this negative shit about someone doing their best at no cost to the event for no gain to now be be a target by wankers who's only contribution to the VMX community is slagging off the efforts of others on here and acting like some self appointed "god" to all things VMX.
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
I asked Popeye to do a bit of commentary as the guy we had lined up couldn't make it [Gally], he and the young fella from the Toowoomba club did an awesome job, I reckon Popeye could talk under a underwater sidecar  now ;D....guess who's gonna be commentator at the Conondale Classic. :)....and well done Slawsey on your win you old bastard.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
What did Slawsey win?!
The "stuck on the Matterhorn" award?
The "Stuck on a berm" award?
Or something else?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline SLAWESY

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
What did Slawsey win?!
The "stuck on the Matterhorn" award?
The "Stuck on a berm" award?
Or something else?

;) the raffle Nath
YZ125E, RM250T

Is it way too small? A bit of work with the heat gun or hot water could soften it enough to fit if it's close. Maybe some rubber friendly grease as well.
Mainline "classic"

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
50-59 pee wee class Nathan....the old Tassie devil was smok'n.....we'll have to keep an eye out for that second head growing back. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline pinned

• Novice
    • View Profile
Great job Popeye, you are one of the good guys in this sport. I have been in this sport for a very short time and I am extremely frustrated and disappointed  with the attitudes of a lot of people.I congratulate the winners and place getters , but my biggest congratulations goes out to the riders who went out and had a go in this event. People are realistic and know their not a chance of getting anywhere near the lead in these races due to lack of ability on a bike they have restored and or set up themselves with sometimes very limited knowledge and or finances.in every sport their is all levels of competitors,the good ones should be praised and the rest should be supported I would also like to add this is the sport of classic mx like some of the riders. Some of the older riders who support this sport to no end should be able to feel the track is safe enough for them to ride as well. I am not blaming anyone I thought it was a great event and very well run, I just think we should learn from this and try to improve it for other meetings.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
popeyes commentry was good
and also the younger bloke
with the roving mic
interviewing riders as they  finished
in particular the interview with mick kirkness