Author Topic: Vintage Nats - standard of racing and dealing with different levels of talent  (Read 28387 times)

Offline cemotobull

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
The answer is.........Classic Dirt Track!!!!!!!........come on everyone, get that rear nobby changed and never look back!!!!!

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
col is a legend
i will love to be racing when im 70^
got 17 years to go
my trophy cabinet is full from when i was a younger man
dont forget to have fun
vmx= fun wright it out 100 times
ftw al

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
I wonder if age racing for all eras would reduce the speed difference between the fastest and slowest riders?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
no nathan
because it would be all in
scored separtely if small classes

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
If all era bikes were allowed to participate in age racing, then there would be less combined classes.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline allan hughes

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
hey cemoto
come to north brisbane
classic dirt track is my passion

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
Gee I'm a late runner into this topic. I must admit I don't frequent here as much any more.
I lapped a regular lady rider three or four times in pre 85 open. A little frustrating and scared at the time as she is going so slow and I would never forgive myself if I accidentally hit her. But I'm glad she entered and rode. If it wasn't for the slow riders we wouldn't have an event. Even in the AMA supercross they bitch and moan about lapped riders and the lapped riders are PRO LEVEL. We just have to suck it up. Just keep reminding them at riders briefing.

Offline yungy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Finally someone has solved the problem take the jumps & the ruts out & U have dirt track which sounds like it is what a lot of you guys want another solution is put the evo"s with the classics & make post classic pre 95 or pre 00 after all over the years mx tracks have evolved as the bikes have gotten better but in saying that these days most mx tracks are pretty bland compared to the 80s & 90s these days 65s can clear nearly all the jumps where back in the day there were doubles triples & quads I've even herd a story of Darren smart hitting a quad at Tivoli on a dr400 in the eighties at the end of the day everyone has there own opinion on track designs & layouts but keep in mind they are usually done by one or two people who volunteer there time for free & as time goes on a lot of old tracks are dissapeRing for one reason or another & as newer people come into clubs & tracks that haven't been there in the past to see what worked well & what didn't & most of the time it's not till a race day to see if things work

Offline Starion VR4

• Novice
    • View Profile
That accident was not the tracks fault....that was 2 riders farking up.

Sorry John this accident was only one riders fault.  Clearly No 32 had got a bad start or something.  He came past me very close to me and was then just in front of me.  Derek did not do anything wrong.  The other rider ran into the back of him.

Kev, you have got to be joking. Yeah sure #32 ran into him. What else could he do. The other guy was riding at 45 degrees across the downhill ramp.

#32 qualified third fastest, came sixth in the first moto and easily won the over 50 Evo over 263. He, as you can see by his results is a very quick, competent rider. Not some gung ho wobbler as you portray. Given the fact that he caught youse in half a lap is testament to his ability.

This meeting was another very well run meeting by the by the best in the business. Congratulations to all involved.

BTW #32 will most likely be off work for months with multiple broken bones in his foot and leg, a torn knee and a fukd bike......not that you will care Kev.

Ok gentlemen... lets have a look from "E50" helmet camera. I think it speaks for itself....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-brgxgHSN4E

I as others viewed the still pics & may of thought E50 moved offline, but as clearly seen in his footage this isn't the case. Pics can be deceptive given the angle.... As it it's  stated... IT'S THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE PASSING RIDER TO DO SO SAFELY.

Now all i can say is stop the BULLSHIT & get constructive & support events , get involved with running events & PUT up or SHUT THE F&*K UP!

As for the commit "BTW #32 will most likely be off work for months with multiple broken bones in his foot and leg, a torn knee and a fukd bike......not that you will care Kev.

Mate lets hope we never meet, EVERYONE  is concerned about the well being of this competitor, to put in print such a flippant remark is both callous & inciting... both  of which we can do without. Pull your head in mate otherwise someone will knock it off.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:22:43 pm by Starion VR4 »

Offline Barra

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
NAICCIH.

too true. stumped on this one Barra :)

http://indyhiphop.com/63511/texting-what-the-heck-do-all-of-those-symbols-mean/

NAICCIH. Not an ice cubes chance in hell.

Interesting those defending 80's tracks having doubles etc. so that's how it should be in todays racing of that era?

Anyone who knows motocross knows that the Supercross phenomenon took over MX and club MX / tracks in the eighties - and nearly killed it. By the early nineties people were sick of crashing their brains out and left the sport.

It was wrong then, does that make it right now? 

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
has anyone done the demographics on the riders at the VMX Nats - total - including non age groups - by group?  It is OK to say (and not passing comment on how right this is or isn't) the tracks are the same as was in the 80's - but what percentage of the riders AREN'T!  How many fall into 30-40, 40-50, 50-60 etc.  Some people still seem to forget this is VMX not the Modern Nats and a lot of us have a different opinion as to what the VMX Nats entails because of this.
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline KTM47

• Legend
    • View Profile
OK

I have to reply to some remarks made RE myself.

I was correct that something had happened that put Mark behind myself and Derek after the start.  As I said Mark came past me and didn't give me a lot of room.

Ted you need a new protractor 45 degs really.  Derek took a rut on the left hand side before the jump and then moved back towards a line to take the berm.  Mark seeing him to the left hit the jump faster and then ran into the back of Derek.  Derek did not change his line it is the line he had been taking every lap.

Also a blue flag would not have made any difference in this incident Derek was not being lapped.

As for me roll starting my Maico Thursday (not Friday), Friday was Anzac Day and no one started their bikes.  I am having trouble with the ignition.  It is a PVL and is approximately 10 years old. It doesn't spark from cold.  I knew I was first practice on Saturday so I had to see if it would start Thursday.  I asked John before I did anything and then stayed clear of everyone.  I went up and down the hill (on the grass) several times to clear it out and make sure it would run correctly.  I apologise if I sprayed anyone, I didn't think I did.

As for bias commentary I think you will find that, that is not restricted to our State.  The local commentator knows more about the local rider.

After all we have to put up with it every year from Phil Gould.

As for what to do with the PC Championships.  Yes Natural Terrain tracks would make it better, but they are not always available and are more expensive to run at.

Tracks without some of the more modern (freestyle/SX) jumps would be OK too.  Unfortunately TWMBA MXC choose the fortnight before the Championships to change the track, they had machinery available and operators.  Riders may also have noticed that there were other changes that weren't used.

As for the speed difference, riders just have to take that into consideration and maybe give more room.  I can understand what was going through Mark's head, he had missed the start and was trying to make up ground as quickly as possible.

We are no longer 20 (or 30) years old and do not bounce like we did.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:21:11 am by KTM47 »
MAICOS RULE DESPITE THE FOOLS

1999 KTM 200, 1976/77 KTM 400,1981 Maico 490

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
A matter respect is needed to all that volunteer to run and organise any meet, of any size. We are but human and VMXers second, so if the track was no good or feel that your not catered for, go to a meeting and raise your concerns or enjoy the toils of others the best you can. the forum is a great place to move forward with positive attitudes and ideas, but I strongly disagree with the pages of personal bitchy-ness from grown men.

I didn't race or have any involvement and wont comment on anything other than the under current of lack of respect, whether right or wrong, of people who give their time to your sport.

the forum is not the place and it's not just about you.

cheers Trev

Offline topari

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Personally, and you can howl me down for this, I think the time for Vintage titles is over. Winning Championships is what you do when you are 20. Not 60. I think it would be better to stick to club series and big social events like CD and PBBB.

And there it is.

Breaking your body at 20 something is quite different to breaking your body when you get older. At 55 years of age, family and commitments I am not willing to take on risks a 20 something would.  I was at a function not so long a go, sitting next to a former Victorian Enduro veteran, and he made it clear that racing and titles are for the young. We were talking about a 40 year old man with commitments who was killed racing club level MX. Should not have been racing. The mind may feel young, but the body is not.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 10:06:06 am by topari »
topari

1979 IT400F, 1984 kdx200

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
This is just my opinion, nothing more......

There will always be slow and fast riders on the track at any given event. Club days or National events. It's a fact of motorsport that all racers have to deal with. So are crashes. Most of the time crashes are the racers own fault, whether from a little too much courage or track conditions not being read ahead of time. Then there is the right hand controlling the brain syndrome which we all have been guilty of at one time or another. Agreed, most of the "bravery" came and went with our younger years.
It's got me beat how a National title can be held over a weekend. One bad start or a small mistake and that's it for your "title" chase. And I think this is where the risk taking comes from. A contender cannot afford to have 1 single mid pack finish within such a short race program without risking missing out on their dream. Some guys (and gals) work hard to make the dream happen and when a mistake happens, desperation and aggresive riding come into play. Hence the incident with rider #50 and #32. It was a racing incident that could happen on any track. It has happened to me when I attempted to pull off the track with my throttle jammed wide open. I put my leg out to indicate that I was getting off the track but the guy behind didn't see it. I didn't have time to raise my arm as I was trying to control the throttle and use the kill button. No biggie luckily. I went down and the other guy continued on. He came up to me in the pits to apologise and make sure I was ok. Then thanked me for giving him 2nd place......
Point is, I don't think anyone in VMX deliberately takes anyone out. Yes, things get a bit heated at the time but when it's all done and dusted, both parties usually understand that it wasn't intentional, shake hands and enjoy a coldie at the end of the day.
I believe there have been incidents at ride days like CD and BBB. Just goes to show that the "right hand controlling the brain syndrome" can happen anywhere.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.