Author Topic: Do You Moto 100?  (Read 52291 times)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Moto 100?
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2008, 06:42:03 pm »
I kinda like " just use the stock stuff ".  I'm troubled by " logical updates " using forks from next generation trailies & MX bikes, when the original concept was simplicity, low cost, FUN, and class rules consisting of 2 sentences or less.  There are plenty of other classes in VMX where you can demonstrate engineering prowess(?), and argue about eligibility, etc.

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 07, 2008, 08:06:26 pm »
I kinda like " just use the stock stuff ".  I'm troubled by " logical updates " using forks from next generation trailies & MX bikes, when the original concept was simplicity, low cost, FUN, and class rules consisting of 2 sentences or less.  There are plenty of other classes in VMX where you can demonstrate engineering prowess(?), and argue about eligibility, etc.
Yep, what he said. It's all getting too serious to call them 'Dungers' anymore.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #197 on: October 07, 2008, 11:04:14 pm »
And here I was thinking Yamahas had 35mm forks! My memory ain't what she used to be. ::)  My reasons against using 34 mm forks are purely cost based. If 34mm forks were allowed I could use the reasonably expensive NOS 34mm Redwing forks I have tucked away on my Honcho 90. I'd hate to see that kind of "high" tech introduced as it goes against the whole concept of the class. By limiting the fork diameter to 32mm I reckon it keeps the original low tech cheapo concept intact but allows a couple of extra milimetres of diameter to encourage a bit of cheap hot rodding and to open up accessibility to a broader amount of suitable rust free (and cheap) forks.

On Mike 1948s and Wombats points on keeping them all stock, that would be OK if we were finding decent running bikes to start with. All you'd have to do is knock off the headlight and blinkers and off you go. Unfortunately I'd reckon that most of us would be starting with rusty old puss buckets that will need some sort of refurbishment. By allowing some "logical updates" it opens up the parts availability window just a little to enable us access a broader range of cheap parts. If you examine the mods allowed in the rules they aren't so much about performance but more about allowing for a bigger choice of cheap parts. For this class, like most things we do in our lives we need some simple ground rules to keep it all in perspective. We've proposed that certain modifications should be allowed because, as racers, it's in our blood to modify our bikes anyway. For the class to be successful we think that these bikes should also reflect a certain amount of pride of ownership and reflect the individuality of their owners, otherwise it just becomes a VMX version of speedways fender benders or shitbox racing.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 11:05:57 pm by firko »

firko

« Reply #198 on: October 07, 2008, 11:20:47 pm »
Out of curiosity, how many of you, both regulars and lurkers, are genuinely building or considering to build a bike for the Moto 100/Dunger/Blowfly class? Three of us are building bikes and I know of two more. Are people fair dinkum about getting involved in this or is this destined to be just another cyber racer talkfest?  ???

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 07, 2008, 11:29:28 pm »
I will, but I've just got to work out which bike... My shed's three obvious contenders (TC100, SL100, G4TR) are all pretty decent bikes and I'm reluctant to turn any of them into a race bike...  ::)
My heart is in a DT100 or LT2, or a TS100.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 08, 2008, 05:05:23 pm »
Mine is already built (for about 18 years..) Bog stock SL125 engine , stripped of lights but still runs charge system for battery ( ignition),, Has agi bike steel footpegs, bloody necessary!  also fitted with none standard from said mid 70s CT125 agi bike front forks too, hows that for a real waste of time and energy mod???  :D see page nine of this thread for photos under Greames name :) Cheers Tim..... the stock muffler will be replaced.... ;)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 05:12:48 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

oldfart

« Reply #201 on: October 08, 2008, 05:17:01 pm »
Forks and rear shockys are rooted besides that shes ready to rock in roll   TS 100

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 08, 2008, 05:37:20 pm »
I'm currently searching for a suitable bike (or 2), as I feel strongly in favour of this class of racing.  Over the last few years, current VMX bike costs have severely stretched the budget, and I'll probably be broke when the VB reaches the" looks just right " stage.
I think a SL100/125, DT100 or ts100, though I have a friend who used to race a Bridgestone 90 with a 100 barrel and noisy pipe which could run with any 125 in pre 70.  Pity it has a pressed steel frame/swing arm which tried to bend into a U shape each meeting.

Bultaco used to have a Lobito 100 model scrambler which came with or without lights, Tiny little thing, went quick, and handled very nicely.  Definately nothing like the other lobito turtles!  It might fit the current guidelines, but not sure the spirit of the class.

firko

« Reply #203 on: October 08, 2008, 10:50:59 pm »
The Lobito is exactly right for the class. As my infamous ADB critique of the little yellow dunger put my journalistic career on the express train to international stardom and inspired my warm and fuzzy friendship with el Presidente Ceglinski, we owe it to all Bultaco fans to allow the Lobito to compete.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 08, 2008, 10:57:03 pm »
 Time for Tim to hit the sack as something changed " express train to stardom/nowhere ???" Firko must be like me and tries to fix up da grammaticacal erroz sorta.
Firko did you like/hate my rant on the financial bullshit ? Real bad hair day as I just got knocked back for a job in a supermarket!! I failed because I could do mathematical equations in my head and therefore was over qualified!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-X
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:18:26 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 09, 2008, 10:35:05 am »
here's my $50 starting point and yep! she's got a long way to go.
i have no useable 30mm forks but will probably ride an illegal front end set up till i find some. and has anyone got a 28mm carby? they'd like to pass on for this little beastie?

as far as rules and stuff goes, my personal take on it all is, just build the damn bike and get it to the track, step one.
and if it's really a problem then we'll work it from there.
no point if there's one bike in Vic, another in Act, and one and a half in NSW and 2 in Qld. it may take a little bit of time to get it all a happening.
"flat bickie"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 09, 2008, 04:41:34 pm »
Glad that DT100 ended up in good hands, Vandy.

I thought seriously about it, but then decided that the transport was going to be too much of a hassle...
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 09, 2008, 07:09:28 pm »
god there has been enough gas baggin about these lil things are you ever going to get of your computers and ride the lil f*ckers ::)
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 09, 2008, 07:32:09 pm »
15 pages of discussion and not one u-tube link of one of these little rippers throwing some roost  ::) :P
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline Noel

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 09, 2008, 07:58:03 pm »
I'm taking Mine to the Heaven Clarence meeting on the weekend, ;D ;D
(I'll see if I can do a Vid with sound bite ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)
still on Methanol but prepared to set up for pump fuel , ::)(for class racing)
(or maybe just run it as is and get protested out) :o
Cheers
Noel
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 08:00:20 pm by Noel »