Author Topic: Do You Moto 100?  (Read 52274 times)

Offline Tahitian_Red

• Legend
  • Mugen ME480
    • View Profile
Do You Moto 100?
« on: June 16, 2008, 03:18:44 pm »
Wondering if there are any classes for Vintage (pre-75) 100's down under?  AHRMA runs a class for 100cc bikes with fat guys on them here in the U.S.  ;)

Here is a pic of my little MX100 I plan to race at the next event.  The fenders are cracked, but I have new ones to install this week.  I think I'm just a set of shocks away from making her scream for mercy.  ;D

The "Factory Novice"
California, USA

'74 Suzuki TM100, '75 Bultaco 250 Pursang, '77 Honda XR75, '77 Suzuki RM125B, '77 Yamaha YZ400D, '79 Honda CR250RZ Moto-X Fox Replica, '83 Honda ME480RD Mugen

TM BILL

Re: Do You Moto 100?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2008, 04:32:16 pm »
Nice original bike Red  :) Over here the 100s would run with the 125s , cant say iv'e seen any 100s at meetings though  ???

firko

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2008, 05:04:14 pm »
No we don't have a 100 class Red but it's been a major topic at recent klub Kevlar pub sessions. I've recently picked up a couple of TS Suzuki 90s and a mate has done likewise and we have thrown the idea of creating a bucks down budget class based on 100cc two stroke and 125cc 4 stroke trail bike based machines.
The rules would be pretty simple and in keeping the class as low buck as possible, exotica like trick adjustable suspension components, late model reed blocks, fat pipes and anything else that would take away the spirit of low budget would be ineligible.
We have been compiling a list of bikes that would be eligible. Here's some:
Suzuki:: TS/TC 90, TS/TC100
Yamaha:: DT100,LT1, LT2
Honda:: SL100/125, CT90/110
Kawasaki::
G3/G4/G5 100
Jawa 90...........
You get the idea. Mini bikes wouldn't be eligible and a cut off would be 1978. All bikes must be twin shock, single leading shoe brakes. 7" and 4" suspension travel, the original frame for the engine but the frame can be lightened, original swingarm can be lengthened, period frame mods like lowering engine in Yamahas allowed, a maximum of 32mm forks and all parts used must fit into the pre 78 period.
We decided that genuine MX bikes like Reds MX100 wouldn't be allowed in the spirit of keeping the class cheap. We at Klub Kevlar have two kitted Suzuki 90S underway and Alan Jones has a nice little SL125 (not his fast Yoshi powered Rickman) in the shed. You can still buy these bikes for under 500 bucks and often much cheaper and I reckon it would be a hoot to see the amount of hot rod ingenuity that'd emerge.
In all honesty it'll probably never take off because there are already too many classes. However, we really do need a low budget, entry level class that can also be a bucket of fun, in the spirit of what the vintage thing is about.
 I was a little disapointed when a bloke at CD5 told one of us that Klub Kevlar has lost touch with the real vintage world because the bikes we had at CD5 were all flash and bling and out of the reach of the average punter. Perhaps some were, but all of us also have low buck bikes that we love equally as much as the bling stuff. This idea started as a bit of fun but has become a serious idea because we reckon that fun, entry level racing without all of the trick and bling is a much needed feature.

Anybody got anything to add to the mix?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:05:47 pm by firko »

Doc

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2008, 05:38:34 pm »
Firko, I hope it does take off as this is a great fun idea and something I'd fully support being the obscure budget enthusiast I am ;D

I'll even fly the Honda colours with the mighty SL100 ;)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 05:47:59 pm »
Wondering if there are any classes for Vintage (pre-75) 100's down under?  AHRMA runs a class for 100cc bikes with fat guys on them here in the U.S.  ;)

Fat guys?!  I'm your man! ;) :D ;D
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Ian P

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 05:49:55 pm »
What a cool idea 8)
We have had many of a beer fueled chat over here about a farm bike based budget class but I think I like the 100 class better ;D
Nice clean and clear rules are the way to make it work!!!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 06:57:08 pm »
Firko, myself and a couple of other vmxers over here talked about a "roach class", no bike over a certain dollar value, and just to keep the punters honest about the dollar value we talked about the old "claiming rule". Every bike in the roach race was up for grabs for a certain dollar value (eg $400). It would mean that noone would put good bikes up to race but it would also mean bike would move to different sheds. Who knows what could be dug up out of some guys sheds??
Anyway, If I remember right, we had had quite a few beers at the time of the discussion and it was certainly a good laugh at the time.  ;)   ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 07:05:45 pm »
Doc    I want my 100 back  ;D

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 07:12:08 pm »
The class would need a weight limit, no one under, say 100kgs ;) ;)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 07:14:27 pm »
I am in !!!!Tim   ;D   Hodaka 100 Ace traily and the little Dirt Squirt fun bike ? No Super rat parts fitted of course, Hey I am only 91Kgs and Doc rooted by miles...... ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:16:09 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 07:17:04 pm »
  ;) no worries Stew, I knew you'd be having a change of heart, I'll have it out by the back gate in a box tomorrow, I actually didn't use any of it...yet :D there's been a few TS100's for sale of late for next to nothing, if you really want it I'll swap the SL100MX and include your roller in exchange for a TS100 runner :P ;) I was bidding on the TS90 advertised local on egay but the bastard seller (offence intended) withdrew it..not impressed  >:(  ::)

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 07:19:04 pm »
Doc I got a tc100 and a ts125 K  and spares , and you got a Honda SL.......................... ;) Tim   xxxx.
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Doc

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 07:20:20 pm »
No one under 100kgs! bleeding nora! how bout if I carry a pillion passenger!  ;D

mmmmm..Always tempting Tim but you live waaaaay down there and the TC has the ucky duel range gearbox and the 125 is not eligable  :( sad cause I have one sitting here that would go really well if it (pre 75 125 trailies) were allowed! :P it'll go okay against the 125 mxer's though so it doesn't really matter ;)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 07:24:08 pm by Doc »

Yamaboy

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 07:32:18 pm »
I'm in. I reckon this is just the ticket to reinject a bit of fun into the ever more serious vintage scene. This is just the spirit that pervailed when Firko, GE and crew started to whip up enthuusiasm for vintage mx 20 years ago. If people are serious about this we need to keep this thread alive to raise ideas and support. I sold my Evo YZ465 because I was a little worried about racing against blokes with the level of race face I saw at many race meets. I'm an old fart who loves racing but my serious days ended back before bikes gained water cooling. This will be perfect for anybody just wanting to have fun without the excess baggage of big dollar bling bikes or serious trophy hunters. I like the feature that Firko mentioned that we could modify the little bikes as much as we want so long as it's within the spirit of pre '78. I reckon we'll see some great little hotties. I know where I can get one of these below. Hows that for something different but still within the spirit??

firko

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2008, 07:51:01 pm »
Brilliant Yamaboy. The James Squire Golden Ale worked its spell on you. A Bridgestone is just the thing we were talking about. I picked up a Torque brand expansion chamber for the Honcho on eBay over the weekend and a 19" front wheel from a pile of shit at the farm next door to the Bungonia resort.

I'm not sure if a claim rule would work in this day and age DJ. It leaves the door open for unhappiness when someone claims the bike you've gained some emotional atachment to. The way to keep everyone on a reasonably level playing field is to impose self scrutineering. Once the rules are established it'd be up to us to to keep each other in line. We'd be able to spot someone spending money on expensive go fast parts that are out of the spirit and if someone was a big enough trophy hunter to build a big'un, it'd be more of a sad reflection on them as individuals more than anything else.

Now I'll try and talk my long retired and disillusioned mate into come back into the vintage fold with his Hodaka 100.