Author Topic: Where is the next breaking point?  (Read 46682 times)

Offline suzuki59

• Legend
  • Kiwi VMX
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the next breaking point?
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2013, 10:55:36 am »

2ltrs milk $6.50........ Conversion into AUD$ @0.87= AUD$5.66- Price in Oz $2.50
Ltr petrol $2.40.......Conversion into AUD$ @0.87= AUD$2.09- Price in = Oz $1.40 at the moment.

WTF!!!
 >:(

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2013, 11:08:46 am »
I'm pretty sure that Johnny O's comment on the relative health of the Qld economy was made ironically: Queensland's economy is certainly NOT a reason why VMX is so much healthier than the rest of the east coast - if anything VMX in Qld is healthy DESPITE the economy.

There was a lot of talk about Qld going into recession a few months back - even if it didn't happen, the relative health of the Qld economy is certainly not a reason for the health of VMX in Qld.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »
While those items are dearer I have found hotels to be way cheaper than over here. At least in NZ you actually get to drive your car. Unlike here continually sitting stopped in a gridlock.

If you want to live in the most scenic country on the planet, bar none, that is a small price to pay

I would live in Hanmer Springs at the drop of a hat.
81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2013, 12:08:31 pm »
I'm pretty sure that Johnny O's comment on the relative health of the Qld economy was made ironically: Queensland's economy is certainly NOT a reason why VMX is so much healthier than the rest of the east coast - if anything VMX in Qld is healthy DESPITE the economy.

There was a lot of talk about Qld going into recession a few months back - even if it didn't happen, the relative health of the Qld economy is certainly not a reason for the health of VMX in Qld.
Exactly..

Simo63

« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »

Exactly..

:) Which is why I prefaced what I said with :

I don't know if you said this in jest JohnnyO but ... blah blah blah 

Offline Ted

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2013, 01:06:55 pm »
After the recent cancellations of a few major events I have to ask this question:

Has anybody been sent a questionnaire asking why we didn't attend these events?

Either through your MA license, day license ( they have our names and addresses ) or by way of a tear out section in VMX magazine.

81 YZ 465 H   77 RM 125 B

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2013, 01:21:50 pm »
I'm not saying that Joh Average hasn't felt the pinch in Queensland, it's just that it might not have been so hard hitting
I wasn't alluding that it had much to do with VMX's strength either. I was thinking along the lines of day to day living.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2013, 01:49:31 pm »
craig 4l for $6  or 3.60 2L at our dairy - you obviously leave shopping to the lovely wife
I was in sydney  weekend C/d was supposed to be $1.65l petrol
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2013, 01:50:46 pm »
Ted dont be silly they take your money all year,do we think they really care or are here to advance the sport that pays there wages??
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2013, 02:00:32 pm »
After the recent cancellations of a few major events I have to ask this question:

Has anybody been sent a questionnaire asking why we didn't attend these events?

Either through your MA license, day license ( they have our names and addresses ) or by way of a tear out section in VMX magazine.

Big part of what I've been harping on about.

The problem with a formal sort of questionnaire is identifying the people that didn't enter. I mean, my mum didn't enter but it would be silly to send her a questionnaire (silly example, obviously - but hopefully you get the point).

This forum would be capable of giving us a good idea, but nobody with any influence seems the slightest bit interested. Plus the results would have to keep in mind that it is more "preaching to the choir" stuff.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

TM BILL

« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2013, 02:20:59 pm »
craig 4l for $6  or 3.60 2L at our dairy - you obviously leave shopping to the lovely wife
I was in sydney  weekend C/d was supposed to be $1.65l petrol

Come down country Mike , prices double  ;)

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 22, 2013, 02:26:30 pm »
You could post out to clubs with a questionnaire but then you need VMX 'rs who attend club meeting to fill them out.

IMO NSW biggest problem is there is no tracks near Sydney so people have lost the desire the flame has gone out and only the hardcore are left. It's just too hard for those people and there out of the system now and will take something exceptional to bring them back.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 22, 2013, 02:39:51 pm »
yep, i'm hearin ya
The problem with a formal sort of questionnaire is identifying the people that didn't enter. I mean, my mum didn't enter but it would be silly to send her a questionnaire (silly example, obviously - but hopefully you get the point).
i get the point

This forum would be capable of giving us a good idea, but nobody with any influence seems the slightest bit interested. Plus the results would have to keep in mind that it is more "preaching to the choir" stuff.
i think you're more than a nobody...
and
i think you've got influence as most folk here either read or reply to your posts and that you've also cited you're past efforts and experience...
and
i think you're interested as this subject has definately got more than a few pages of you're heart and soul all over it...
but are you interested enough to step up and act upon your ideas that your sharing here?
talk is cheap...
not meany to be a personal attack by any means but from me sitting on the fence and reading through this thread and understanding more than one side of the story at any given time i'd also agree that this forum has the ability to serve our sport well.
there's a great scope of knowledge and experience here and sniffing out the people that are doer's all takes time and respect...
love that word,
respect...
so where's the next breaking point?
an application/consultation/conversation with the powers that be will lead us to that answer...
"flat bickie"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 22, 2013, 02:41:45 pm »
...people have lost the desire the flame has gone out and only the hardcore are left. It's just too hard for those people and there out of the system now and will take something exceptional to bring them back.

For all the reasons people drop out, that is very true - once you lose someone, they are generally harder to entice than newbies.
I've lost track of the number of people I've spoken to, who got the shits over something (trivial or significant), and walked away.
Mostly, those people seem to draw a line under it, and won't come back even when you explain how that problem doesn't exist anymore.

------

The track location stuff is probably significant.

Personally, it is MUCH easier for me to go racing if it is a day trip - as soon as the event requires me to be away for a night, it all becomes considerably harder to get a leave pass.
Two nights away becomes a major operation, one way or another - and is a big part of why I've dramatically reduced the number of Heaven events I've done in the last few years (not a criticism, just an observation).

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 22, 2013, 02:43:03 pm »

That's exactly right, the majority of the feedback the clubs have now is from people who did enter not those who didn't.. Not an accurate assessment.