Author Topic: Where is the next breaking point?  (Read 46713 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the next breaking point?
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:02 pm »
I haven't kept up with all the pages. The perfect scenario would be to have two clubs that cater for the different eras. For eg bmcc as they are up to Evo. Qvmx then have a class cut off that starts at and including Evo. The hardest thing I see is getting through all the classes if all are welcomed. I am all for pre 95. One club does the early stuff and the other does the later.

How easy was that?
 :)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2013, 08:58:04 pm »
You only have to look westward

How easy was that?
 :)

And of course in the real world,everyone has to work hard at  making it happen  8)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:03:47 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2013, 10:00:28 pm »
How easy was that?
Really easy but you seem to be arguing a point with yourself, without going back over every post I don't recall anyone suggesting the contrary.
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

mainline

« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2013, 08:19:24 am »
I haven't kept up with all the pages. The perfect scenario would be to have two clubs that cater for the different eras. For eg bmcc as they are up to Evo. Qvmx then have a class cut off that starts at and including Evo. The hardest thing I see is getting through all the classes if all are welcomed. I am all for pre 95. One club does the early stuff and the other does the later.

I think the situation we have here in SEQ is perfect. I don't think a club excluding earlier vmx bikes eg. pre evo would be a good idea. The overlap between clubs/classes seems to work very well as it is.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:39:16 am by mainline »

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2013, 08:40:16 am »

Makes perfectly good sense. That's exactly what is happening in Victoria with Viper, VCM and CSC. There is a bit of overlap between clubs but all eras are catered for, one way or another. I must add though that VCM is not a club, but a register that runs meetings under other clubs jurisdiction. It works well and there is always plenty of numbers at the meetings. It (VCM) caters for pre65 to Evo, with pre80 minibikes (XR's) and even pit bikes . You may laugh at the pit bikes, but geez some of them are very serious, big dollar units. And the racing is always close to the best for the day! It just goes to show what can be achieved with an open mind and a bit of hard work.
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »

I think the situation we have here in SEQ is perfect. I don't think a club excluding earlier vmx bikes eg. pre evo would be a good idea. The overlap between clubs/classes seems to work very well as it is.
It does. From the aspect of adding classes, there's only so much time in the day. I think through time restraints and adding extra classes, there will have to come a time for eg qvmx to have to drop or combine classes to both get full fields and to get through the days racing. I don't think there is enough room for a third club. Or is there? To cater for later classes.

mainline

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2013, 02:27:33 pm »

It does. From the aspect of adding classes, there's only so much time in the day. I think through time restraints and adding extra classes, there will have to come a time for eg qvmx to have to drop or combine classes to both get full fields and to get through the days racing. I don't think there is enough room for a third club. Or is there? To cater for later classes.

No, I think you'd have to combine classes which gets more and more difficult for the organisers as most riders have more than one bike.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2013, 03:37:36 pm »
do you mean.'it only becomes more work for organisers if your scoring' Paul .
capacity races or grading, could help at club level  :)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:42:54 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

mainline

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2013, 04:32:33 pm »
do you mean.'it only becomes more work for organisers if your scoring' Paul .
capacity races or grading, could help at club level  :)

No, just in terms of trying to keep everyone happy. Combining classes when most people have multiple bikes across multiple classes is a bit of a juggling act. Especially if Brad turns up with a bike for every class.

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2013, 04:35:15 pm »
I'm with 090. Mainline's post explains the basic reason for the split. At National level the sport was choking on it's own success and Pre 60 was being neglected and no room for introduction of Pre90, Evo age groups etc.
Now we have a healthy Pre60 entry for the Nats, a growing Pre85 and 90 as evidenced by the Conondale Classic. Hang on, I've heard all this before.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2013, 09:40:33 pm »

There's little doubt that Qld is VMX's golden child ATM, for a number of good reasons - the co-operative split certainly appears to be one of them.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2013, 04:27:21 pm »
Firko quote from another thread...
At the risk of repeating myself yet again and falling into the same stubborn funk as you Nathan, my only problem with your proposal to introduce a pre 95 class is that it's too soon after the introduction of the pre 90 class, a class that has barely made an impact on the sport so far. For fluck sake, the pre 85 class is barely operating at 40% potential let alone thinning the ranks with two extra divisions. I honestly believe that over the next two years we need to work together to attract new racers to fatten the ranks of the classes we already have. It pisses me off no end to see half full grids in all classes. The goal should be to get what we've got now running at as full a potential as possible. If that isn't done there'll be four, then five and then maybe six  post classic divisions all running at less than half of their potential and wouldn't that be ugly?....................

The main problem I have with your argument is that it is quite vague:

1. Why does adding a class cause "thinning of the ranks"? I've seen the exact opposite multiple times - people come in and then their interest expands to other/older eras.

2. How do you define "full potential"? It seems to be a deliberately movable goal-post.

3. Why are the under-subscribed classes never mentioned other than as an objection to adding a new class?

4. What are we doing about expanding the current classes?

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2013, 11:21:36 pm »
1 History shows as newer eras come in, earlier classes drop out. Fortunately the "split"at national level, together with some forward thinking clubs, is reversing this trend.
You have the efrontary to use this years 2013 Classic Nats, compared with the 2012 record as an example of the "dire straits" of CMX. Sorry to prick your bubble but with a week to go for late entries the numbers arent far short of Crystal Brook ( which all who went judged to be a great success) which included Evo and Pre85. Which means of course that Classic numbers have increased.Also half the classes show an increase over 2012. We won't achieve 2012 level, but this has been achieved in 6 weeks, at the wrong end of a busy season.
2 Full potential is of course a movable target. Why put a defined limit to growth?
3 Because the under subscribed classes need to be nurtured back to health, not swpt away.
   Last year we had a championship class of Pre60, the first in a long time. This year that class has increased.
4 "We" are getting out there and promoting our sport and organising events.

Somehow I get the feeling that this is a wasted excercise, but being an optimist one can but hope.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2013, 12:39:54 am »
There's 2 kinds of people.....
The finger pointers....
And the workers...
There's obviously more finger pointers in the so called States that aren't fairing to well.
You only get out of something what you put in.
If there are problems then the solution is to work harder (not point the finger harder)
Where I'm at we have lots of hard workers...and that's why where successful.
Couldn't be more simpler. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 21, 2013, 10:04:09 am »
There's 2 kinds of people.....
The finger pointers....
And the workers...
There's obviously more finger pointers in the so called States that aren't fairing to well.
You only get out of something what you put in.
If there are problems then the solution is to work harder (not point the finger harder)
Where I'm at we have lots of hard workers...and that's why where successful.
Couldn't be more simpler. ;)

Yep, I will never cease to be amazed that the same people put in the work, meeting after meeting, and the same people point fingers TELLING the volunteers what they did wrong and what they NEED to do to fix it..... then walk away and play with their bike!
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.