Author Topic: When and where would you protest?  (Read 8838 times)

Offline crbigbanger

• Novice
    • View Profile
Re: When and where would you protest?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 07:29:27 pm »
What I don't like is when people do something to bike, you have a bit of a chat with them about it and they say. There bits of dickheads and nobody will notice anyway. Or they start the it isn't fair my boy should race a 78 against  a 83 in the evo class and then try to make look like a pre78. When this sort of stuff happens  at a National level I think there should be a protest. Jack

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 07:56:01 pm »
the question still remains at the end of the day ' is it in the spirit of vmx that protests on equipment even exist' , when it could be nipped in the bud at the time you wheel that little sucker into the pits and go through proper era correct scrutineering ,and if you are the one put on the spot tuff titties watch from the grandstand you knew what was required its a very simple process and yes all us simple people understand that

the judges decision is final and no more correspondence would be entered into, food for thought
Do you know enough about every brand of bike from every era from 1960 to 1989 to be able to pick if someone is cheating??  Do you even know someone that does? What about the time it would take to scrutineer 200+ bikes 1 at a time measuring suspension travel, checking eligibility etc...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:04:09 pm by JohnnyO »

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 08:25:02 pm »
   Maybe there should be "scrutineers" specializing for each era/class ! you'd think there would be enough money thrown around a national title to cover it , or knowlegable blokes willing to do it  , you,d have to think nipping it at the bud would save a lot of bullshit from even starting  ???

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 08:37:06 pm »
In the pre 75 era alone there were about 17 different makes of bikes . Yet again, do you have that kind of knowledge about so many bikes? NO ONE CAN.How you can ask for five ( eligibility) scrutineers just for the pre 78 nationals is ridiculous at best. The only way to stop the shit fight is to stop cheating. That won't happen so a system is in place that from what I have witnessed has worked just fine.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 08:38:31 pm »
   Maybe there should be "scrutineers" specializing for each era/class ! you'd think there would be enough money thrown around a national title to cover it , or knowlegable blokes willing to do it  , you,d have to think nipping it at the bud would save a lot of bullshit from even starting  ???
If you had 250 bikes at a National Title to check eligibility and you spent half hour on each one measuring suspension and checking legality there's 125 hours you're going to need to check all the bikes properly. I don't think that's going to happen...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:52:04 pm by JohnnyO »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 08:39:58 pm »
In the pre 75 era alone there were about 17 different makes of bikes . Yet again, do you have that kind of knowledge about so many bikes? NO ONE CAN.How you can ask for five ( eligibility) scrutineers just for the pre 78 nationals is ridiculous at best. The only way to stop the shit fight is to stop cheating. That won't happen so a system is in place that from what I have witnessed has worked just fine.
Exactly! If it aint broken it don't need fixing

Curly3

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 09:10:34 pm »
We can discuss this topic until the cow's come home and never reach a conclusion because people will never stop trying to bend or avoid the rules.
All we can do is deal with it if or when cheating raises it's ugly head.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 09:20:22 pm »

Quoted for truth.

Plus what johnnyO and SlideRulz said.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Taka 100

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 09:35:57 pm »
wow youv'e blown me outa the water with statistics and data you dirt bike police, well done ,  next it will be lights and sirens, and blue checkered tape around the offenders, cheats what cheats, dont mention drug and alcohol testing for gods sake you seem to be missing the point

i think the underlying question was ' is it in the spirit of vmx that protests on equipment even exist' that is the question dear watson.

ps  no you dont have a clue what i know or the knowledge i have gathered you might just be talking to a higher being i know i like eating sheeps brains does that count  ;D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 09:36:40 pm »
    just an opinion -but if the minor detail(eg cut-off,suspension limit etc) wasnt so pedantic and rigid that half an hour would be a lot less and why would 5 scrutineers be so ridiculus i was thinking more 10(all class savy) - the cheaters wouldnt even frock up or get on the paddock !-just an opinion :-\

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 09:56:08 pm »

Yer its a good system Brad , a guy who runs 78 model forks with air caps and a full 10" travel on his Maico in pre78 go's unnoticed while another guy with 78 model forks and clamps with just over 9" travel and rubber handle clamps on his RM125 gets something to think about on the long drive home. The following year he gets accused of running an illegal swingarm on the same bike which now has solid bars mounts.He is forced to do a return to home drive to collect a magazine to prove that his original FMF swingarm existed in 77.
The following year he elects to go on a trip OS with the missus at the time the Nats are on.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 10:01:40 pm »

Yer its a good system Brad , a guy who runs 78 model forks with air caps and a full 10" travel on his Maico in pre78 go's unnoticed while another guy with 78 model forks and clamps with just over 9" travel and rubber handle clamps on his RM125 gets something to think about on the long drive home. The following year he gets accused of running an illegal swingarm on the same bike which now has solid bars mounts.He is forced to do a return to home drive to collect a magazine to prove that his original FMF swingarm existed in 77.
The following year he elects to go on a trip OS with the missus at the time the Nats are on.
Okay. Once again it raises its ugly head. And you are having a go at me as well? Are you  referring to my bike?

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 10:21:16 pm »
I,m of the opinion that if a bike is protested it should be done prior to any racing.
This gets rid of the guy who finnished out of the places but will protest just mybe to get
a place.
I also beleve that there should be some sort of qulify to be able to even race in the titles
to many people who put nothing into the vmx scene turn up and walk away with a bunch of
titles under their belt riding another persons bike.You should have to compete in 3 or 4 vintage races
in whatever state you are from to qualify. IMO
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 10:25:00 pm »

With regards to the rm125 of Alans'. He had a '78 front end and an fmf swing arm set up for a '78 bike, by the way the brake arm attached to the swingarm (fixed '77 as opposed to floating '78).That is why he was protested at Conondale. Isn't having to prove that a swingarm existed part of the rules? As he is known as a rule bender, isn't it natural that he is now scrutinised?
You have a real knack of turning a thread into a pre78 bagging match at any opportunity. I think it's definitely detrimental to the class.
With regards to my front end, you are getting your info from the wrong guy as he is misleading you. My forks are '77 and yes they do have air caps but they are aftermarket and not genuine items off a '78. Any REAL Maico expert would see that from a distance. I have never fitted a later part on any of my bikes, not to mention I bought the bike exactly as I raced it, and to put me in the same light as the RM is a personal attack on me which I do not appreciate.
None of this has anything to do with the thread.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:01:49 pm by 090 »

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 10:59:16 pm »
I,m of the opinion that if a bike is protested it should be done prior to any racing.
This gets rid of the guy who finnished out of the places but will protest just mybe to get
a place.
I also beleve that there should be some sort of qulify to be able to even race in the titles
to many people who put nothing into the vmx scene turn up and walk away with a bunch of
titles under their belt riding another persons bike.You should have to compete in 3 or 4 vintage races
in whatever state you are from to qualify. IMO
Good points.