Author Topic: When and where would you protest?  (Read 8833 times)

Offline marshallmech

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: When and where would you protest?
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 11:14:29 pm »
Thanks Brad
Andy Viper #70
Honda CR125 RB
Honda CR125RC
Honda CR125RA
Honda CR250RZ
Honda Z50A

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 11:23:56 pm »
I,m of the opinion that if a bike is protested it should be done prior to any racing.
This gets rid of the guy who finnished out of the places but will protest just mybe to get
a place.
I also beleve that there should be some sort of qulify to be able to even race in the titles
to many people who put nothing into the vmx scene turn up and walk away with a bunch of
titles under their belt riding another persons bike.You should have to compete in 3 or 4 vintage races
in whatever state you are from to qualify. IMO
I agree that these are both good points. I mentioned the same thing about guys letting the local young gun ride their bikes in once a year national title events, in the Simons forks in pre '78 thread. I think this sort of thing is bad for the sport and discourages older guys from turning up, especially in classes where there a no rider age divisions.     

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 11:24:57 pm »
I,m of the opinion that if a bike is protested it should be done prior to any racing.
This gets rid of the guy who finnished out of the places but will protest just mybe to get
a place.

Yeah, but...
What happens if someone swaps parts to make their bike illegal between scrutiny and the end of racing? Especially easy at a multi-day meeting...

I also beleve that there should be some sort of qulify to be able to even race in the titles
to many people who put nothing into the vmx scene turn up and walk away with a bunch of
titles under their belt riding another persons bike.You should have to compete in 3 or 4 vintage races
in whatever state you are from to qualify. IMO

Abso-bloody-lutely!
The Mr VMX organisers tried to stop the ring-ins by having a minimum rider age of 30 years, but it stopped a few regular VMX guys from having a ride, and we still got ring-ins (albeit less of them).

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Mod1

• Global Moderator
  • Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 11:27:22 pm »
The original question was..."When and where would you protest? "

Offline Iain Cameron

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 11:47:23 pm »
Ive never won a place in VMX. But I have been cheated out of the trophies in twinshock trails . I know my score was less than the gent that won the event , hence I know I won where as the cheater took home a trophy that said he cheats . I wonder if he can look at it with out knowing its not his?
Yamaha tragic ; dt1, rt1, dt2, rt2, dt2mx , rt2mx , mx250, mx360,sc500, 74dt125, yzx125, yzc250, yzc400, yzd250, yzd400, yzh250, yzh80 , dt100 , xr75 ko xr80 03 , it175 82 . Not a member of any club

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2012, 06:43:22 am »

i think the underlying question was ' is it in the spirit of vmx that protests on equipment even exist' that is the question dear watson.

[/quote]

May be underlying question should be"is it in the spirit of VMX"to knowingly put yourself in a position to be protested against?

Taka 100

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2012, 08:10:20 am »
that is a good question i noticed the 'moderator' has gone back to the original question  which is fine but the original question has a few underlying factors as you have pointed out another one , that should never be brought up at the race meetings especially the feature events that show cases 'VMX' in my opinion not the place to air out dirty laundry all it does is taint the festivities

i think the underlying question was ' is it in the spirit of vmx that protests on equipment even exist' that is the question dear watson.

[/quote]

May be underlying question should be"is it in the spirit of VMX"to knowingly put yourself in a position to be protested against?

[/quote]

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2012, 08:18:00 am »
" You have to admire the work ethic of the evil" Cheers Jerry

Montynut

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 08:52:46 am »
There have been three or four threads on here lately that have gone on for 15 -20 pages often with circular debate ::) which is totally expected. It is becoming more more obvious that at Nationals level our sport should move toward 'log books'. Lozza suggested this very early in one of the threads but it just seemed to be passed over.

Log books would remove 99% of issues as it can instantly defuse almost all matters of compliance. I know in classic road racing and classic car racing it has been a great success for many many years.

All the compliance work is done in a calm, methodical and consistent method away from the emotion of the race day and meeting. Protests can be quickly and clearly ruled on using the log book evidence.

Currently I would not consider attending a National just because of all the compliance issues that seem to raise their head resulting in finger pointing and weeks/months of wash out on this site after each National is held. Oh and also the fact that I'm not a good enough rider ::)

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 09:40:58 am »
at the classic dirt track titles last year ,bikes where given a quick look at scrutineering to check eligiblity . few where found out and give the chance to rectify or ride in the appropiate class-a young bloke had bought a bike he was told was a pre 78 turned out to be an evo bike.he won his races, lucky for him it was put into right class .but it would have been right to protest him ,not me too fat and slow

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 01:24:50 pm »
None of this has anything to do with the thread

It has everything to do with this thread as it was the most recent event were a protest was made and upheld.
I disagree. But what about this other stuff seeing as you have implicated me (again)?

[/quote] 1.With regards to the rm125 of Alans'. He had a '78 front end and an fmf swing arm set up for a '78 bike, by the way the brake arm attached to the swingarm (fixed '77 as opposed to floating '78).That is why he was protested at Conondale. Isn't having to prove that a swingarm existed part of the rules? As he is known as a rule bender, isn't it natural that he is now scrutinised?
2.You have a real knack of turning a thread into a pre78 bagging match at any opportunity. I think it's definitely detrimental to the class.
3. With regards to my front end, you are getting your info from the wrong guy as he is misleading you. My forks are '77 and yes they do have air caps but they are aftermarket and not genuine items off a '78. Any REAL Maico expert would see that from a distance. I have never fitted a later part on any of my bikes, not to mention I bought the bike exactly as I raced it, and to put me in the same light as the RM is a personal attack on me which I do not appreciate.

[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 01:27:02 pm by 090 »

Offline lama

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 02:42:56 pm »
I WOULD PROTEST IF 1.. THE BEER IS NOT COLD 2..NO GRID GIRLS 3.. RUN OUT OF COKE FOR MY RUM. there ive said it so look out. what happens if they have a bar at the nationals at wyyaarolong and you get thrown out who do you protest to then???

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 03:23:31 pm »
according to Wally we have to have a round brake resoviour??? You can't even use brakes Lama. and what would that matter to the hoardes of spectators that hang over the fance and scream encouragement at us.

Curly3

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2012, 03:31:39 pm »
I know the guy you mentioned Robin, his father bought the bike and it is a 77 RM250 that had 78 forks fitted to it.
I don't know what the diff is between those forks but it would hardly make a difference to the performance of the bike on DT but them's the rules, as you said he was lucky it was pointed out at scrutineering and he went on to win the EVO class anyway.
We have to follow the guidlines set down or forget it, as #8 said those who try to break the rules deliberately are the ones not working to the spirit of VMX.

Offline Suzukal

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2012, 06:26:00 pm »
Rule bender here, allegedly ….  My name keeps being brought up, so …

1: the front end was never the problem, the air caps & rubber mounted bars were.
2: no I didn’t have a FMF swing-arm setup for a 78 bike. I had & still have a FMF swing-arm setup for a 77 bike.
3: quote”I bought the bike exactly as I raced it, and to put me in the same light as the RM is a personal attack on me which I do not appreciate.”  That’s what I was thinking …
I bought the RM exactly as I raced it ( except for the FMF arm ).
It was never brought to my attention parts were wrong and should be changed. The only information offered by the scrutineer was, did it have 9” travel. 

It’s been 3 years since I was protested and I don’t give a rats arse who got trophies or medals as in my mind I know I finished 3rd. If other people want to protest their way into a better position, that’s fine too, I’m happy for them.
On the day I was slower than two or three riders but it was a great day & I was faster than a lot of other riders and it had nothing to do with air caps & bar mounts. If I can beat some riders by half a lap, they need to ride faster, not protest non performance based items.
Protest the 175 cyl., protest the 43mm forks when they should be 38mm ( or should that be 38.1mm ), protest the oversize wave disc rotor never available in 84, but not the insignificant items eg: bolts instead of rivets, air caps or ridicules things like front & side numbers being the wrong size & style ( road racing ).   

thanks very much ... Bring on the titles.