Author Topic: The Demise of Qantas  (Read 12985 times)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
Re: The Demise of Qantas
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2011, 02:24:25 pm »
.....bring back JOH.....you'd be surprised how many people are now saying he was a visionary and very smart cookie with the "people's" money.
Surprised?.......that would be the understatement of the century ;D.
I liked JOH he was fun.

[/quote]
OK John, here's a really simple task:
Explain to me how you and I will benefit if Qantas moves overseas.

Please don't get pissed at me Nathan but

How will I benefit if Qantas stays in Australia ?
Keeping in mind that the government sold the bit of Qantas that I owned and spent the money.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2011, 02:33:50 pm »
Just flew to Qld, Virgin on the way up, Jet Star on the way back. Cheap, clean, orderley & efficient, no problems, but yes I did have to buy a sandwich (big deal). Who needs Quantas anyway?
K

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2011, 02:34:52 pm »
Yep... and breaking the golden rule of "never sell infrastructure" in the process...

But even if we ignore the bit where Qantas has to "stay Australian", I'm still failing to understand how Australia benefits from Joyce getting his way and moving (big chunks of) Qantas to South East Asia.

I understand what Joyce wants to do, and why.
I don't understand why Australian citizens and the Australian government wouldn't oppose it.

Late edit because I forgot to reply to the other part of Mike52's post (face palm):
Australian citizens benefit from Qantas staying here in the same ways they benefit from any large business being here.
The most obvious is the number of people gainfully employed, and the overall benefit that has on the rest of the economy (those employees pay tax, they spend money which helps keep other people employed, etc etc).

Similarly, the half a billion dollars in profits is taxed by the Aussie governement, meaning the government can either provide more services to me, or tax me less.

Then you get onto a stack of less tangible things, like the value of having the skills of those workers in Australia, the value of a "national airline", blah blah.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:38:26 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2011, 03:15:28 pm »
Dont make him angry Mike52 ;D....we'll get a dressing down......I'm a bit old fashioned and simple I guess but for the life of me I dont know why you keep selling the golden egg for the suposed benefit of the owners (us), they keep telling us its to make it cheaper but I havent seen it yet....on anything. Seems to me everything has a price so its all for sale....short term gain, long term loss.....and on it goes.....I think I'm babbling now.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Curly3

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2011, 05:31:49 pm »
Are we still bangin on about this.
We aint gunna solve it, just provoke each other into saying something nasty, I'm guilty.
Freaky's put some great classic Speedway shot's up in Vintage Track.
Far more exciting/interesting.

TooFastTim

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2011, 05:56:41 pm »
He he. Budget airlines....

Once travelled on a budget airline in South Africa. Sat on the apron for about 4 hrs on a sweltering hot high veld afternoon. One woman went hysterical and had to be led off the plane. Eventually we took off and the drinks trolley came up the aisle. I was about half way up cattle class and asked for two beers. "That'l be ten rand sir". Well I gave the poor hostess lip about being kept on the apron for four hours and the least they could do was give me complimetary beers and she agreed. Sadly all the people behind me heard this and wanted a refund. It was close to a mutiny.

As you were.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2011, 05:59:56 pm »
So what you are saying Tim is that you nearly started a mutiny...  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

TooFastTim

« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2011, 06:06:55 pm »
The things we will do for a free beer  ::)

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2011, 07:35:22 am »
The things we will do for a free beer  ::)

Well at least it was for a good reason.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2011, 08:19:17 am »
where will Qantas stand with the Carbon Tax and our free skies, are they one of the big 500 companies or was that a 1000? the unions are doing what they can to protect Australian jobs, BUT so is Qantas whether you agree or not, the only one that isnt, is the government lead by a minority green faction. No tax has ever made anyone better off! no matter what spin you put on it. the level playing field is off- shore now. I suggest you all go for a drive around your local manufacturing sector and see the buildings for lease or sale, and the worst is still to come I fear.

worms

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2011, 08:32:59 am »
So much for the carbon tax not effecting us, my powder-coater mate has worked out it will cost him $1000 a month because his business is classified as a high end user of power.....he only employes 6 people but his power bill each month is 5K and the LPG bill the same.......the cost of restoring has just gone up.....and there'll be lots more.....I still havent seen any carbon yet. ???

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2011, 11:26:42 am »
.I still havent seen any carbon yet.

I,ve got to rebuild a muffler soon.
I'll box some up and send it to you Davey ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2011, 11:58:48 am »
Thanks mate.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2011, 12:47:46 pm »
interesting point, worms.  Despite the politics, the companies that will be paying the carbon tax haven't whinged much, so I don't know if Qantas will or not.

Their lack of noise on that issue suggests its a non issue for them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2011, 09:00:42 pm »
I still havent seen any carbon yet. ???

Priceless.  ;D ;D at least we get a good laugh.