Author Topic: Japan Kamaishi  (Read 34742 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Japan Kamaishi
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2011, 11:55:35 pm »
TEPCO's handling of the Fukushima disaster should be a model for western companies, they were quick to react and apologies were many. Unlike Australian companies, they would still be saying that the explosions were part of routine maintenance. Spare a thought for the 50 staff still working there, some brave pills needed there.

The plant was built near the ocean for a good reason which is being used right now, when all else fails the reactor can be cooled using sea water, without the sea water there would probably be a massive hole in  the ground right now.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2011, 12:03:48 am »
The plant was built near the ocean for a good reason which is being used right now, when all else fails the reactor can be cooled using sea water, without the sea water there would probably be a massive hole in  the ground right now.

whadda ya mean when all else fails? They started using sea water almost immediately (after the deisel backups failed), they already lost a some firetrucks loaded with sea water when one of the later explosions happened .Now they are short on trucks.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2011, 12:11:02 am »
 ;D  sneaky-maybe thats what TEPCO told the government and people during the evonvir/building process approvels-
 "sea water is good !! we have many"  :-\
cheers A

It has a historical dimension .... the Bakufu were the Samurai bureaucrats  who became more powerful than the Tokugawa.

Crikey- can you imagine what the Australian History is going to read in 2000 years compared to the Japanese  :o

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:35:43 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2011, 12:12:12 am »
I'm all for nuc and its time we moved forward and used our hidden knowledge to use it properly or just go for a bit of wind like you say oldyzman  ;D
cheers A
the bit that enrages a pro-nuke when I ask "what do you do with the waste"? and keep asking it  ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2011, 12:18:17 am »
I'm all for nuc and its time we moved forward and used our hidden knowledge to use it properly or just go for a bit of wind like you say oldyzman  ;D
cheers A
the bit that enrages a pro-nuke when I ask "what do you do with the waste"? and keep asking it  ;D

Like all other waste we produce-bury it,sink it,fly it out ??
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

mx250

« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2011, 06:21:31 am »
TEPCO's handling of the Fukushima disaster should be a model for western companies, they were quick to react and apologies were many. Unlike Australian companies, they would still be saying that the explosions were part of routine maintenance. Spare a thought for the 50 staff still working there, some brave pills needed there.

I think that is putting a very silver lining on a very dark nuclear cloud ::).

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2011, 06:48:27 am »
This is going to set the nuclear power 'cause' back a long way I suspect, especially if it really goes bad. I don't know what to think about nuclear - the waste issue is a biggie then you have the risk of leaks like this. With the world seemingly intent on moving away from coal it looks like our future may not be as rosy energy wise. I don't know the facts well enough but the 60 odd windmills they've put up near here are an absolute eyesore...

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2011, 07:33:49 am »
The diesel generators were gone in the tsunami, what do you do then? Graeme compare TEPCO's response to that of BP's CEO during the Gulf oil spill? I don't think he was out sailing over the weekend?
I don't think anyone has a answer to the nuclear waste problem other than digging a big hole and sticking it there. If it was inert I could use the depleted uranium for crank weights ;D
A expert put numbers on the scale of the tsunami 2m of sea water over a 300km fault line was moved in a instant.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 07:37:20 am by Lozza »
Jesus only loves two strokes

TooFastTim

« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2011, 08:08:01 am »
TEPCO's handling of the Fukushima disaster should be a model for western companies, they were quick to react and apologies were many.

TEPCO have a history of nuclear procedural eff ups that would leave the soviet states looking as pure as the driven snow

All nukes are built close to a large body of water. Cheaper than cooling towers, also more reliable.

TooFastTim

« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2011, 08:10:00 am »
Like all other waste we produce-bury it,sink it,fly it out ??

Sinking's not a bad option. The IAEA has been watching the sites where the Russkis dumped their used submarine reactors in the sea. Net result on the marine ecology: zip.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2011, 09:01:07 am »
I would skip CNN for your information, mine is coming from the Director of the British atomic energy commission who addressed Tokyo BCCJ last night together with UK director of public health.

Sorry but I will take their opinion over an Aussie TV commentator that has just discovered the booze in Japan is 1/2 the price of Australia.

Anyway, the chance of large scale radiation leak, categorically NO .... clouds of death floating over Tokyo, NO. Possibility to cool the reactor now that they are all shut down.... very high.

formerly Marc.com

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:11 am »
Meanwhile, on the other side off the pacific a major one awaits-overdue for a major earthquake by over 100yrs and no plans, no where near as prepared(?) a Japan was and nowhere to run and hide. much flatter area over a larger expanse. AND a nuke plant with over 120m kgs of stored nuke waste.
If I lived in California I would be taking a long holiday. Or anywhere from Vancouver to Mexico for that matter.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2011, 09:45:59 am »
This is going to set the nuclear power 'cause' back a long way I suspect, especially if it really goes bad. I don't know what to think about nuclear - the waste issue is a biggie then you have the risk of leaks like this. With the world seemingly intent on moving away from coal it looks like our future may not be as rosy energy wise. I don't know the facts well enough but the 60 odd windmills they've put up near here are an absolute eyesore...

yep its already talks inthe EU are already happening.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEAKvjITOx4&feature=related

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2011, 09:50:15 am »
Meanwhile, on the other side off the pacific a major one awaits-overdue for a major earthquake by over 100yrs and no plans, no where near as prepared(?) a Japan was and nowhere to run and hide. much flatter area over a larger expanse. AND a nuke plant with over 120m kgs of stored nuke waste.
If I lived in California I would be taking a long holiday. Or anywhere from Vancouver to Mexico for that matter.

Yep good time to go back east ! if only to avoid the possible fallout from Japan let lone an earthquake scenario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QX8nZZKwLH0

Offline 500Fool

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2011, 10:14:14 am »
I don't know the facts well enough but the 60 odd windmills they've put up near here are an absolute eyesore...
That's what they said about the Taj Mahal, it's the way yoo loogit them. Next time try looking through rose tinted glasses, nice big props going round, very majestic, mesmerising..............

The main trouble with wind turbines is the debilitating migranes everyone suffers, they recon...........what do the peeble who work on them do? Must wear tinfoil hats, maybe peeble who are having trouble could do that, a bonus is they would stop the mind control of aliens as well.
They are of coarse dangerous to birds, they explode when they get too near them.
If you paint your house the paint won't dry.
The noise is horrendous they recon, a four wheel drive on a road 2K's away is louder.
The dog gets sick
These are all problems trotted out by NIMBY's