Author Topic: Japan Kamaishi  (Read 34698 times)

TooFastTim

Re: Japan Kamaishi
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2011, 10:10:33 am »
It might not be a big deal, but then why are they venting the excess pressure into the atmosphere? I wouldn't want to live down wind…

Pure water used for cooling will produce two families of isotopes, those of hydrogen (deuterium and tritium) and those of oxygen. Those of oxygen are very short lived (half life in the order of an hour, depending on the isotope) and of hydrogen deuterium is benign but tritium is nasty stuff and very rare. So a vent may not a bad thing.

But the question remains, if they vented why did it destoy the building?

From wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tritium):

Health risks

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, which allows it to readily bind to hydroxyl radicals, forming tritiated water (HTO), and to carbon atoms. Since tritium is a low energy beta emitter, it is not dangerous externally (its beta particles are unable to penetrate the skin), but it is a radiation hazard when inhaled, ingested via food or water, or absorbed through the skin. HTO has a short biological half life in the human body of seven to 14 days, which both reduces the total effects of single-incident ingestion and precludes long-term bioaccumulation of HTO from the environment.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 10:18:09 am by TooFastTim »

TooFastTim

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2011, 10:20:51 am »
It might not be a big deal, but then why are they venting the excess pressure into the atmosphere? I wouldn't want to live down wind…

Most nukes are built away from populous areas, urban creep soon brings the population within spitting distance.

It's also an economic balancing act to place the nukes as far away from populous areas as possible but keep the cost of the power lines ($$$$) that connect it to the grid as low as possible.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2011, 10:28:04 am »
but it is a radiation hazard when inhaled

So all is good as long as nobody breaths?  :o

Sorry, I am not trying to be flippant. My heart goes out to everybody in Japan, the 10,000 missing residents and to those trying their best to help in whatever way they can. But all this flies in the face of the politicians and their assurances of nuclear safety and their ability to contain its power and contamination in the event of a disaster.

Short term gain for long term catastrophe - Oh, sorry politicians don't worry about the long term do they? We tell our kids not to take the easy way out, shame we as adults can't adhere to the same message.

So a vent may not a bad thing.

That could be right, but it could never be described as a good thing either.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2011, 10:46:21 am »
Third nuclear reactor under threat

COOLING system in third nuclear reactor at Fukushima No. 1 plant has stopped working leading to further fears of explosion.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2011, 10:59:15 am »
COOLING system in third nuclear reactor at Fukushima No. 1 plant has stopped working leading to further fears of explosion.

I have worked at Fukushima and also some other nuclear station in Japan and Korea, the emergency cooling systems are diesel generators, in this case one of our clients DGs ..... they crash start have to come to full power within 30 seconds and then just hold as long as required. Asking a lot of 30 year old engine that has been started only in testing for years.... like a VMXer really.

Anyway few good aftershocks this morning and I will probably take the dogs to the park as beautiful day.

formerly Marc.com

TooFastTim

« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2011, 11:24:26 am »
the emergency cooling systems are diesel generators

I know some use jet turbines. This serves two purposes, first, for situations like these and, secondly, as a peak power compliment on the grid. In the case I was thinking of the turbines were separted by about 30 kms and connected by the grid. Not a good idea if the grid is damaged.

At the accelerator facility at which I worked we had whacking great diesels. Three of 'em. And when they started as a result of a power dip what was previously a quite day turned interesting very quickly. We had to run around shutting down magnet psus, backing up data and the like. Eventually we installed a UPS. The largest in the southern hemisphere.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2011, 11:45:16 am »
looks like the whacking Diesels didn't hold up there end of the bargain..... they are not totally earthquake proof by the looks. ...blame french engineering
formerly Marc.com

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #52 on: March 13, 2011, 01:47:31 pm »
But the question remains, if they vented why did it destoy the building?
because Hydrogen can go Bang! if in large quantities and they seemingly had lots of it.  Now where did the Hydrogen come from? urm.. that sounds bad. Zirconium on the rods getting too hot?

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 13, 2011, 10:07:03 pm »
At the meatworks where I used to work the last line of defence on the freezers was a hand crank VW engine coupled to a little compressor. :o
Just kept the place ticking over till we got it fixed.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

trailietrash

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2011, 04:35:00 pm »
At the meatworks where I used to work the last line of defence on the freezers was a hand crank VW engine coupled to a little compressor. :o
Just kept the place ticking over till we got it fixed.
Probably was bought as surplus after the Vietnam war. The air cooled VW engines were in pretty common use by the Australians over there to power generators, refrigeration etc...

There has been another Hydrogen explosion at No. 3. So does this radioactive stuff act like magnesium, in that,when it gets extremly hot and suck the oxygen out of the water which intensifies the burn rate and leaves the hydrogen to go bang? I've seen what happens when you spray water onto a burning magnesium VW gearbox case.. nasty

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2011, 05:35:08 pm »
You holding up the economy Marcfx or still partaking in a few ale's ?  ;D
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2011, 06:17:07 pm »
cheers A

Yeah went on a 3 day bender since Fridays earthquake, now just sitting about waiting to get Nuked. Just shutting up the office and transfering business down to Kobe where it is err 'safe'
formerly Marc.com

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2011, 06:22:42 pm »
cheers A
Yeah went on a 3 day bender since Fridays earthquake, now just sitting about waiting to get Nuked. Just shutting up the office and transfering business down to Kobe where it is err 'safe'

and the bikes ? all good ?
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2011, 07:13:08 pm »
The generators at the reactors were positioned just over tthe large sea walls that were built to halt the tsunami wave. Just nobody figured on a 10m wave would just go over the wall and swap the generators. Oh dear.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2011, 07:43:08 pm »
I don't think we need to worry about this situation anymore. I noticed Carl Stefinwhatshisface was there on the news this morning (Channel 9)
He had the deeply concerned face, the deeply concerned voice and he'll ask the hard questions. It'll all be fixed in no time.

I must say that my sympathies go to all affected by this earthquake, Christchurch and the recent floods. I thank the stars, gods or what ever that I have not been involved in any of these things but these pratts who constantly turn up on the spot and dribble on mindlessly do tend to trivialise the whole thing.
I can only assume there is some sort of media award for having the most concerned face or voice on location.

The older I get, the faster I was