Author Topic: New addition to the family  (Read 30796 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New addition to the family
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:29 pm »
Mario I ordered some perches and levers from suzuki for one of my 400's what came is not right the ones that are on the bike have the mirrror mounts and the spot for the brake switch I ordered from america and they probably weren't the same from new.

I haven't checked through suzuki aus maybe they would still be available?
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2011, 07:05:14 pm »
I might do that Michael,i have 3 of those PE front brake perches but no original lever in any of them.
I might as well get them working and will check with Suzuki Aust.
If not i have a tin of f/glass resin and will mould the back of the lever and file it back to shape to see if i can get it working.
Cheers....Mario

DR

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2011, 07:18:38 pm »
I'll keep a look out for those dogleg levers or assy's Mario. Never realized they used that type of switch on PE's. TSX has a nifty little bolt on micro switch tucked up underneath. Simple and effective also.

'mental note' dig out PE headlight! ::) I was under there today dragging out the RM50 and never gave it a thought after I banged my head.. >:( I did remember I was after the RM50 cause that was all that stopped me falling over ::) I do it all the time :-\ K2000X ultra kindly sent me a good pipe, mag cover, cylinder and head. The cylinder from Luke is wildly ported so not sure which way to go yet..will start another thread on the topic ;)

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2011, 07:24:53 pm »
for my 175N, I recall they were TS185 items.
Luke

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2011, 08:30:07 pm »
Thats right Luke, TS250, 185, TF185, SP370, T500 etc etc they are all the same.

Reproduction suzuki brake light switches are available from www.mcsonline.com.au You will have to look through their online catalogue, find the part number and then call your local dealer or just take a trip and vist them and they will look it up in their catalogue. I can also tell you that these switches are perfectly fine repro parts, even have the right colour wires. MCS also sell the repro of the suzuki brake lever perch for the brake light switch, From memory the clutch side its split perch, but hey who honestly wants non split perches unless they are doing a concourse resto.

Dog legs on PE'S were officiallly used on 82-84 models (same as TS185ER 79 onwards) Also 82-84 had a 2 piece rubber cover to allow quick access to the adjuster a bit like Magura ISDT levers, although its been a while since I’ve  looked at the parts books, I think the 2 piece rubber set up may have only been for USA markets???

If you want cheap original genuine PE levers in dogleg or plain blades, just go looking on ebay or Alpha-Sports for NOS suzuki levers from the 70's or any TS185ER and you will find them everywhere. No need to pay the big dollars ordering them from Suzuki Australia for $70 or what ever they cost now. Now  I’ve said that supplies will probably dry up now ;D I do know the brake lever assembly I quite expensive for what it is and is only sold complete.

Aftermarket companies have been making repro lever blades for suzukis for years so more often that not a lot of the bikes out there will have these levers and that’s why you can spot differences in the casting a little. The aftermarket ones now usually have brass bushes. Both OEM and the repros brake real easy, but at least the aftermarket blades are cheap. If you don’t like breaks, fit bark busters or fit Magura/Tommaselli/Domino or whatever aftermarket levers that are made from better materials. The mobs in Taiwan making these levers also make ‘forged’ options which are a lot better than the cast levers and OEM levers but they only seem to do them for the late 80’s/early 90’s stuff upwards with disc brakes.

Suzuki have also changed their castings over the years, just little different shapes/cut outs in certain spots, the balls that have bits cut out the bottom etc. I guess they have had many moulds over the years.

You can work out what models use the same levers as the PE's by punching the Australian model part numbers into Zedder cross reference and you will easily see that the PE levers are the same as all sorts of suzukis like GT500's RV125's etc etc

Im not going to do it for you though, Zedder is freely available off Lukes site.

I might do that Michael,i have 3 of those PE front brake perches but no original lever in any of them

MSC and other wholesalers like Cykel have replacement levers that you can use in your original perches. Pretty sure they have dog leg and plain blades, ive ordered them before but i can look it up to be sure. Only got the new MCS book the other week.

Don’t forget ebay though. Theres 1000’s of new/used/nos/repro/aftermarket levers on there for suzukis

Mario I ordered some perches and levers from suzuki for one of my 400's what came is not right the ones that are on the bike have the mirrror mounts and the spot for the brake switch I ordered from america and they probably weren't the same from new.

I haven't checked through suzuki aus maybe they would still be available?

Yeah thats a bit of a stuff up. It pays to check through the scanned parts books first and get the part numbers for the Australian model levers first, then type them into Alpha-sports part number search. USA PE's dont have mirrors or front brake switches. They do have them (the correct AUS PE levers), its just that they are not listed under any PE models. Either do the direct part number search or look up levers for a 78 TS or similar and they should be the same as whats in the Australian model parts drawing. To be sure check with zedder first though, again by direct typing in of the AUS part number and seeing what USA non PE models it matches.

Parts books are on Lukes site. Even if theres no 'PE400' parts book, just download the PE250T parts book. The controls are all the same. Its on Fabrices site also. About 13MB to download but well worth it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 08:55:47 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2011, 09:01:07 pm »
The front brake switch was used on a lot of the road bikes as well. My 85 Gsxr 750 brake light wasn't working when I got it. A quick search through the old TS 185 bits and there it was.

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2011, 09:47:03 pm »
I will use the levers on something. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2011, 12:04:56 am »
Thanks everyone
I like the dogleg levers for an easier reach for me
I came up with this tonight,drilled 4x1mm diagonal holes on the rear face of the lever.
I mixed up the resin after Doc's info and my failure to look at the parts catalogue  ::)
The back of the lever is semi hollow,that allowed the resin to flow through the holes and fill the hollow area for strength.
I had to go out for a few hours anyway and came home...straight to the shed.....and cut the resin to shape and did the little cutout for the plastic slider.
Put it back together and "pinned" out the wires with my multi meter and it works a treat  ;D
I'll keep a look out for the proper levers but this should work fine i think.
Thanks again for your help.
Cheers...mario

monaro308

« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2011, 09:57:39 pm »
Update....trial fitting of parts to the PE250T.
Sorted out the brake lever perch switch. ;)
Was ready to fit the front guard a couple of weeks ago and wasn't happy with the header pipe dings which made the exhaust sit slightly forward.
I went to tweak the pipe a little...and i mean little and the seam on the header was so thin it split like a  banana!
A few words starting with F could be heard from a distance ;D ....that threw a spanner in the works now.
As luck would have it,another dunger PE250T with a seized piston popped up on my door step and turned out to be a saviour!!
A great pipe with a very solid header pipe,an uncut standard muffler(although with a bigger outlet hole)
a usable plastic chain guard,with the remains of the rubber bit thats unobtainiumable,horn and bracket,the standard PE handlebars,the indicator warning light and bracket for the bars and PE perches,the top PE tool bracket on the forks ALL PE stuff that i really needed.
I also fitted the PE seat cover (did the RM175 at the same time)
Will pull it all down once i have the plastics sorted and in place.
Quite happy with the way its going together,but that common tale of PE tank stickers falling off ain't working for me.
These tank stickers are becoming a nightmare to pull off ::)I hope the new ones last as long as these!
Mind you,my original PE never lost a sticker in 9 years.
Enjoy ;D

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2011, 10:05:53 pm »
It is looking good Mario I have been moving some of my pe stuff about to our new shed amazing how much you collect will have to try and put some of it back together. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2011, 10:30:01 pm »
You are not wrong Michael,my 6m x 3m tin shed at the back is F U L L.
See the bench and the door? Thats my work space :D :D :D with me trying to take photos leaning over the munro.
I'd love to build a bigger garage but i don't know how long i want to stay here,thats why i'm painting,just incase i wake up one morning and say i'm outta here!
I feel a garage sale coming soon just so i can get to anything.
The RM125T "may" have to go once the engine is put back together,RM100X frame and s/arm,RM125A frame and s/arm,2 dunger PE175C frames,etc etc
I still have the 2 YZ80's and PE floater to contend with ;D
cheers...mario

monaro308

« Reply #86 on: March 06, 2011, 09:23:11 pm »
Progress.....I'm slowly getting into the PE wiring and continueing with trial fitting of the best parts that i have.
Measured up the best rear brake hub with a minimum brake drum ID and of course it turned out to have the worst bearings  ::) so i had to pop them out and replace them. So thats out of the way.
Are the PE250/400 rear sprockets a universal size or PE specific? I'll need a new one for the rear.
Stayed with same wheels that came on the bike,5.10 on the rear and sorted out the front speedo drive washer from another plate...and then noticed that the rim is flat spotted  :D...i  will swap to another wheel.
The muffler that came on the last parts bike is stock as a rock with an enlarged outlet hole and weighs as much as a big rock too.I'd say the packing is fully soaked.
A bit of surgery will be required and then repacked.
The hardest part to come will be sorting out the best of the worst PE rear shocks that i have,which is going to be a battle.
I have to chase up a rear light,indicator relay,stickers,battery (there is a dead one on it at the moment for wank value)wire up the indicators,sort the carby and see if it fires up and then take it for a spin.
Pull it down again to paint the hubs,engine,muffler and then another PE250T lives!
Oh yeah...and figure out a way of getting the bike off the stand ;D ;D ;D
Cheers....Mario

« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:26:55 pm by monaro308 »

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 06, 2011, 09:29:21 pm »
Looking very good Mario. :)

If you have some spare $ I'd recommend a set of works performance rear shocks I have them on my pe400t so much better to ride I had them make them up they were around the $530 shipped.

They were the best bit I have bought for the pe makes it ride so much better the originals were hopless from new and the cheapies the motor bike shops sell aren't much better, you can always do it down the track I had cheapies on but they were a waste of money I should have bought something decent to begin with, thanks Michael.
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #88 on: March 06, 2011, 09:49:06 pm »
I have to agree with you Michael,if i'm going to keep the bike i might as well spend some money on decent rear shocks.
My original PE175X beast was pretty harsh back then..i was about 66kg in '82...and now i'm 71kg ;D
and i fitted a pair of S&W shocks which suited my weight and felt very good but showed up the front end traits which wasn't too bad.
Damn it! I wish i knew where that bike is today  :'(

Offline PE MAN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2011, 07:12:37 pm »
been thinking about getting something like works or yss frosty. yss have a devision down here at angle vale. got a set of rm shocks rebuilt but think they are still not up to scratch for me. might be up for sale soon.
1980 SUZUKI RM50
1980 SUZUKI PE400