Author Topic: New addition to the family  (Read 30793 times)

monaro308

Re: New addition to the family
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2011, 09:41:23 pm »
No updates this time because I've been busy running up and down the highway looking after my mums place and feeding my cats whilst she is O/S and have been really slack on the PE build.
Since i'm there,i have time to go through the shed and found these  :D
Funny what you find in sheds......

So whoever has got my bike I WANT IT BACK! ;D ;D ;D ;D

DR

« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2011, 10:41:55 pm »
I really wish you luck Mario. One of the reasons I've rarely sold any bike I've ever purchased is the bitter taste of hindsight :D

monaro308

« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2011, 11:25:19 pm »
Lol yeah Chris,sold the bike in 1991 to buy a Kart and blow my money racing for the next 13 years ;D

Funny thing is i sold it to an auto elec up the road from when i had my mechanical business and he sold it to an apprentice motor mech about a year later.
Roll on nearly 20 years to where i now work and got talking about bikes and what we rode and a workmate said he had an PE175 which he bought off an auto elec back in the day around the corner where my shop was....put 2 and 2 together...that was my bike!
He lost track of it after it was sold...as you do.
I just carry on about where it is today or if its still around,but finding the serial # and engine # adds some spice to it :D
Always interesting to know where things end up.

monaro308

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2011, 08:41:39 am »
Still done very little on my beast and just machining up chain guide rollers and sorting out the stator side of things ie one of the lighting coil windings was broken.
Good ol' Doc kindly donated a rear tail light assembly....so thanks to Chris  ;)
Photos later on today.....

Anyways.....spotted this at HBBB and thought this was VERY NICE.
PE250 engined and i reckon it would be a hoot to ride.....Any spare RM250 rollers out there?  ;) ;)
As i went with a loop to clear the angled port on my RM125F,this one had roughly half the down tube knotched to clear the header and was very neat.

My mum is going to get a massive downtime bill when she gets back ;D ;D ;D

monaro308

« Reply #109 on: April 26, 2011, 10:08:16 pm »
As promised.....more photos ;D

Shame about the dented pipe.

Tried a satin finish on the hubs and it looked very flat,so i stayed with gloss for now.
This will be a rider so i'm not fussed.

A BIG thanks to TM Bill for the PE Special tool and a good working speedo to get me out of trouble for now

A BIG thanks to Doc for the tail light assembly

Still a few more bits to locate but i'm getting there...i think :D
cheers Mario

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 26, 2011, 10:13:03 pm »
Looking great few rare parts on it to nice original kill switch and indicator indicator. ;)

The dent shows it is a rider I dented my header on the 400 riding at benalla not a major drama. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #111 on: April 26, 2011, 10:38:00 pm »
Hi Michael,
Yeah the 2 250's and the 400 all had different parts that i needed and the worst bike in pieces had the battery box and dead battery,speedo bracket,kill button,horn and bracket and indicator indicator :D in the bottom of the box and a very good pipe and muffler but the rest of it looked like hell.
Stoopid me put the indicator globe/holder in a nice safe place so i could repair it at a later date to put back in the holder....i hid it too well :D no idea where i put it or what it looked like...lol.
I'll need a pic of the globe/socket if anyone has one...then i'll know what i'm looking for ;)

I should be able to fire it up during the week but i'll need a gear shift shaft seal first and put some oil in.
Chain and sprockets to be ordered,stickers,a new battery,sort the correct wattage globes and need to know what amp fuse went in it,i can't seem to find what it was.
cheers..Mario
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 10:41:16 pm by monaro308 »

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 27, 2011, 05:43:26 pm »
Gday Mario, I will post a pic later of my indicator indicator so you can see what you are after. ;)

I also was pulling down one of my 400's it was one that I got that appeared to be a rat but on closer inspection it is a nice original base I only wanted it for the frame swingarm and wheels but alot more can be salvaged which is always good.
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #113 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:42 pm »
Hi Michael,
That would be great,its the 2 wires,socket and globe pic i need,i have the bracket and grommet elbow and lense on the bike.
I have no idea where it is and i turned the shed upside down :D maybe i was dreaming and it didnt have it,but i'm sure i remember pulling it out of the grommet elbow as it had a VERY short length of wires which i knew had to be soldered on...anyways you know what i mean  ;D

Do you still need that 400 frame of mine?
cheers...mario

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 27, 2011, 07:49:23 pm »
Yes Mario I am very interested in the frame I couldn't get to Broadford would have loved to.

The globe looks like a little one you'd find in a smalll torch the wires should be green and black the socket had a bit of rubber on it too

heres a few pics. ;)

1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #115 on: April 27, 2011, 08:44:08 pm »
Thanks Michael that clears it up for me and i know what to look for.
I'm 99% sure its around as i also remember the rubber being perished with chopped wires...we'll see :)

400 T Frame and N seat is yours and can meet up oneday ;)
 cheers...mario

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 27, 2011, 08:48:03 pm »
If you need any bits pm me I always find pe stuff when I am looking for stuff I have lost and realise how much stuff I have that I don't know I have. :D

I cant remember what the fuse was but I know up the shed I have a few original wiring looms that have the original fuses in them probably blown but I can tell you the amps. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #117 on: May 01, 2011, 08:45:32 pm »
Update....
I got stuck into the bike yesterday morning to see if i could get it fired up for the first time.
The engine in this bike is out of another that i thought was the better of the 3 i have.
Filled engine with oil,mixed some juice @20:1 and kicked it over.
Wouldn't fire up with the plug it had so i used the one that came with the bike and i know worked after trialling the PE175 ign/stator set up.My 250 f/wheel had done the usual trick of having the magnets let go.
4 or 5 kicks and it fired up with the usual 2stroke sound and plenty of smoke :D and idled pretty much after taking the choke off.

That was all good and even the headlight was working ;D.
Fired it up again for about 1 minute and killed it to go over the timing and tighten f/wheel nut...thats when i could feel a rough sound coming from the crank area as if it was dry...dead sure i mixed my fuel.
Then i rotated the countershaft and it had the same sound :-\.....strange i thought,new oil in there as well.
So this is how the biked looked last night ;D

Pulled the engine down this morning and found very fine dirt/sand throughout the bearings...couldn't see it,but i definetly could feel it.
So this is how this engine looked this morning ;D

I decided to shelve that engine for now.
Now was the time to check the engine that came in the "bike from hell"
When i got it i was told it sat in a paddock for about a year which didn't worry me.
I couldn't even kick it over and had a quick look at the piston in the exhaust port which looked like it was seized.
Decided to pull it down to see what was salvageable and to my surprise the engine number is 40 units newer than the engine the bike came with,which makes it closer to the frame number :)
Another surprise was that this crapper looks to have done bugger all work in its life.(apart from the well used sprocket :D)
Infact piston was not seized but rusted in the bore from sitting in the paddock.

After taking the flywheel cover off,which i'd never bothered checking to see what mess was in there when i got the bike as the wiring had been cut everywhere...i found a perfectly clean and new looking flywheel with magnets intact and also the lighting coils and stator/pulsar in very good condition apart from the chopped wiring.

Even the dowels and studs look clean/newish and pulled the clutch cover off expecting to find water/rust/dirt...nope all good in there too :D

Cleaned out whatever was in the crankcase and g/box,oiled it up and its all quiet and smooth.
A set of rings and a quick clean in the bore only where the rings were stuck and i might be lucky
to use this engine....
cheers...mario
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 08:55:51 pm by monaro308 »

monaro308

« Reply #118 on: May 14, 2011, 04:07:10 pm »
Progress.....After a few cold nights in the shed,i was able to get a little bit done on the bike.
I had the clutch cover off on this 2nd engine just to make sure its in useable condition and found it to be spotless inside.
So while the cover was off i did the internal clutch adjustment to spec and put the cover back on.
I also looked at what damage there was to the bore or piston and rings.
All i could find was a bit of rust stains on the bore and the rings stuck in the ring lands of the piston.
A quick clean up of the bore and a spray of crc on the piston to soak.
The rings popped out on its own and i cleaned the lands out.
Checked rind-end gap and that was in spec and put it all together.
Compression came up spot-on but will throw in a set of rings after its all sorted.
The engine went back in a couple of nights ago and then fitted the rest of the stuff back on the bike.
Lubed up the cables and repaired the stator/pulsar wires that were cut off.

Next up i took Luke's and Leith's advice on possibly making the PE250/400 flywheel magnets survive a longer life.
I used a GM body sealer called "Terolan Hell" (thats all i had )it is used to bond body panels together and flex at the same time.

After a bit of ebay hunting i found a PE250 52t rear sprocket for $45.00 delivered.

My best find was with the help of Doc ;) the much talked about PE speedo  :-* with bracket @$35.00.
It looks to have had repairs but it does work and i definetly ain't complaining.

The only missing PE part i can think of is the indicator flasher relay.
Repairs to the plastic chain guard and its almost there.
cheers...mario
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 04:18:50 pm by monaro308 »

oldfart

« Reply #119 on: May 14, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »
Frosty.... if you have gone to all that trouble of pulling the motor out of bike - removing fly wheel etc .....one would think you would put new bearings thru motor or at least replace the crank seals  :o