Author Topic: New addition to the family  (Read 30799 times)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: New addition to the family
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2011, 10:33:49 pm »
Yeah I know that you can clean them I reckon I will invest in a tool bag and always carry a spare or too in the back with a plug spanner my mate gave me 20 iridium spark plugs ngk 9's that they used in there go cart for one race and change them out each time so they will be fine.

Also Mario I will get a pic of my works performace shocks built to spec I had cheap ones on there but the works shocks make it ride so well all the difference in handling and if you hit a big bump it doesn't go thud it is great.

My pe400T is sitting in my uncles shed at bonnie doon at the moment I was enjoying riding it but it happened to do both a front tube and fork seals haven't had a problem though for years with it I reckon it knew that I was spending money on it with the new pipe and shocks and some how thought I will get some more new stuff too. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline PE MAN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2011, 01:14:10 am »
the Dc plastics look alright. ive just painted all mine up. so see how long it last. looks quite good at the moment... gone a bit over board but meh. she will look shit hot out there going up against all the new bangers. just waiting on some wheels an the pipe an she will be all done. scored all NOS bearing for everthing too... so it should roll nicely... put some more pictures up when it is completly finished. enjoy building her. its all good fun.
1980 SUZUKI RM50
1980 SUZUKI PE400

monaro308

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2011, 09:53:05 pm »
Thanks again Leith,you wouldn't have a pic of one would you buy any chance?
Trying to remember what they looked like and would be interested in one.

PE Man,post up pics of your bike,always good to see others.

Did nothing on the PE tonight...well i looked at the swingarm and all the scratches and gouges and  wondered how far am i going to go with this??
I only want to clean the bike up,but a shitty swingarm always make a bike look crappy. So i put it down and did "some"  house painting instead  ;D
But before that a mate at work has been telling me that he has a PE175 engine that has a new piston,rod and maybe a crank.
No top end,clutch cover or mag covers and has been sitting in his shed for ages in dust and dirt with  a dirty rag jammed in it ::)
I have been nagging him for months to bring it in to work and now i'm back on dayshift he finally brought it in.
He thinks its an early 175 an i said maybe.
Got it home and checked it out saw the kick splines with centre bolt...so later model and looked at the eng # PE175 212010....i figure maybe a floater Z model or early D...cant find my PE numbers list.
Yep new rod,0.25 piston and new crank half and also what looks to be new stator and pulsar coils.  ;D
it took me 10 minutes to unjam the dirty rag between the crank and rod.
Rod feels great,new shims,but surface rust on the bottom of the crank halves where it had been sitting for god knows how long.
Spun the crank...oh bugger something binding,had a better look.
The new crank half is way out of wack and can see the clearances in the case when turning,also at the mag end.
Damn it,a good back up for the RM175.
I'll find out what he wants for it and hopefully pick it up for bugger all.
It has to come apart anyway with all the crap in it...stay tuned.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:10:13 pm by monaro308 »

Offline PE MAN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2011, 10:59:19 pm »
1980 SUZUKI RM50
1980 SUZUKI PE400

monaro308

« Reply #64 on: January 12, 2011, 10:53:27 pm »
Very nice PE MAN  ;)

Spoke to my mate today about the PE175 engine and the wonky crank and how much he was after.
He said make me an offer and i said,no just tell how much you want.
$20.00.....i couldn't hand over the money quick enough ;D
Pulled it down tonight and internally it is practically new.No wear or marks on the trans gears or shift forks,bearings smooth,seals soft.
Practically no groove marks on the clutch basket at all.
NOS .25 piston,bearings,rod,spacers and 1 crank half.
Electrics...would almost call it brand new.

Anyway,no work on the 250T tonight but these arrived from DT400man in the US (great to deal with)
All NOS parts,front plate for the RM125T,k/start boot,tank strap and tank breather hose clip for the PE250T.

cheers...Mario

Offline PE MAN

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2011, 09:01:40 am »
hehehe nice, love it when you get bargains. the only thing that i havnt had to do yet on mine is the internal. touch wood. it has plenty of compression still as the bloke i bought it off had done it not long before he sold it. had to get a new flywheel as mine disintergrated. my trannys ok at the moment but reckon itll need some TLC soon. have a spare one here. its done it a couple of times when you change into a gear it slips into neutral. hmmmm nice front plate. i ordered one a couple of months ago from the U.S. hasnt arrived yet. spoke to the bloke over there an his sending another one over. love the front race plates on the old RMs
1980 SUZUKI RM50
1980 SUZUKI PE400

monaro308

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »
Seats....This is what came on the PE250T...me thinks RM?  Straighter at the rear of seat. No part #
It actually has 2 covers from what i can see,so maybe its an RM cover under it.

This is what came on the PE400T....angles up at the rear. Part # 40310-81065...doesn't show up on suzu parts.
There are other numbers but is covered by the the front hook mount.

Another pic of underside

Doing a mock up fit of the DC plastics(quite happy with the fit and the rear guard is nice).Since this one is a rider i decided to paint the swingarm and triples silver

I had reservations about picking up the PE400T last week at the swapmeet as i looked at it more than a few times trying to convince myself "do i really need this bike? " and nearly walked away from it,but its turning out to be a very handy parts bike for the 250 and has already saved me a few bucks.
Till next time.......

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 10:37:49 pm »
I think you are right with the seat Mario probably RM I bought a gripper seat cover for one of my pe's it seems very good. :)
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 10:43:33 pm »
i havent read this thread for a while You have to remind me about the photo

1981 + most 1982, 83 and 84 non Australian models

1982, 1983, 1984 Australian models + France, Belgium 1981 model & South Africa 82/83/84

1980 onwards DS and 1980-82 RS175/250

Thankyou Doc for this last photo

Plus there is another PE light not shown which is the 1980 France/Belgium model which is another metal type but a lot different to the one ive shown above.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:10:51 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

monaro308

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »
Leith is that 1980 light the DS or PE?
I had a quick look on Ebay last week for DS tail lights but came up empty. I need to have a better look.

Did our bikes ie N,T,X have the metal brace under the rear guard?
My PE175D does and sometimes Alpha being US doesn't show our parts.

Michael,i'd say RM too and i'm curious as to what cover is under the PE cover.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2011, 11:19:39 pm »
The top light is 1980 PE

The DS/RS light is the last 3 photos and is the one i suggest as a cheap alternative to a PE llight. I will try find one for you on ebay. you can buy them from any Suzuki dealer though. they should be available from Suzuki Aus as we had the DS 80 here up till 2002 or there abouts.

Australian model 82 -84 had the metal brace for the heavier tail light

78/79 models had the tail light built into the rear fender

77 model had the light attached to a folded over bit of rubber attached to the fender

Alpha-Sports is usless for Australian specifc parts. Go to Lukes skydrive Or Fabrices website and download Australian specific parts books
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 11:24:45 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

monaro308

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2011, 08:59:41 pm »
Sorry Leith,i just read your last post and a big help....as usual and i have an idea what i'm looking for.
Yeah i do use Lukes site as a clearer final reference and should print the pages out so i have them on hand.
I have an old laptop in the shed which i also use but it takes too long to boot up for a 2 sec look,but its handy.
Snuck some parts into work for sandblasting during the week and painted up the muffler bracket,footpegs,and brake lever.
Just doing a trial fit of the bike as i go along and will pull it down again.

Tony T came through with the help of John "searbs" in picking up parts for my PE from Adelaide to Beaufort (vic) and met John this morning...great guy too  ;) and a great community here on ozvmx!
Spent a couple of hours in Beaufort with a mate and had a good time chatting with the locals and will be back for a visit.
Got home and went through some extra bits Tony had left over and was rapt to find a kick stand assembly,speedo bracket,brake switch,bits of wiring loom, ALL parts which i really needed,but knew it would be a tough call even seeing those parts.
Thanks to Tony T and John "searbs" making the trip worth a good day ;D
cheers...mario

monaro308

« Reply #72 on: February 08, 2011, 10:21:28 pm »
Its a super go-slow on the PE at the moment and have been sorting out whats what in my pile of PE parts.
I have been fitting the ''best of the worst" parts to the bike for a trial fit and have been playing with the loom and switch gear.
Question:The front brake lever switch.
I pulled it apart to solder on 2 new wires and i'm trying to work out if i'm missing something here.
I know the lever moves the slide to contact the 2 pins,but what returns the slider back to its "off" position?
I was thinking a spring is missing on either side of the slider but another perch i have is the same and i can't see a mark on anything that shows it having a spring.
cheers...Mario

DR

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2011, 09:06:32 am »
Mario, that is all there is to it ;) on the other end of what you've pictured is a small tang that hooks into a cast indent in the original lever (the levers kind of have a notched square look around the pivot bolt area). The positive positioning of the switch into the lever notch means the natural cable return replaces any need for spring loading the switch itself.

monaro308

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2011, 05:22:38 pm »
Thats what i was thinking Chris and i just checked the PE parts catalogue and seen the cut out on the lever.
What confused me was i have 2 perches that came off 2 different  PE's and diff years but had the exact same levers and then remember my PE never had dog leg levers,hollowed out ball ends and waisted/hollowed out blade.
Bugger...i wonder if they still available NOS...if not i might be able to araldite a mould of the pic to the back edge and file it to the same shape as original and use the dog leg levers.
Thanks Chris,that cleared it up.
cheers...Mario

PS...the rm 80 bottom end has moved from the back shed to the garage to give it a quick wipe and weigh...10 kgs
Next is box and Austpost ;)