Author Topic: The demise of manufacturing in Australia  (Read 54718 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: The demise of manufacturing in Australia
« Reply #150 on: October 27, 2011, 09:15:14 pm »

Dear Motomaniac,
I have been casually watching this thread and it seems that my opinion has ruffled your feathers and because of that I am now one of the demonised "you 3". As for "patting each other on the back", you confused this with Firko and I simply agreeing with the premise that Aussies like a good whinge. Now it is obvious that this is something you passionately disagree with [as is your right], but conversely, I genuinely believe that we have become a nation of whingers who prefer to demand that others solve our problems for us [ie. Lack of personal responsibility].

Just take a look at what passes for political debate in this country. We should change our national anthem to ‘What About Me’. It is our lazy, whinging, self absorbed, narrow minded electorate that has allowed the political parties to treat us like fools for their own ends. For example, sure Gillard lied and her lie should count against her, but instead it is used as THE SOLE convincing reason that climate change is a fallacy. Now I am not trying to drag up a debate on climate change, I am only trying to point out that Gillards lie and the veracity of the climate change debate are TWO SEPARATE THINGS that shouldn’t be confused. But instead of treating them as separate – one as an indicator of an individuals character – and the other as a potential threat to human life on the planet – we have allowed ourselves to be manipulated by vested interests and narrow political agendas into ‘playing the [wo]man not the ball’. There is no room for a moral stance in any debate, it only comes down to Dollars and Cents and our ability to fund our lifestyles.

We are the most educated people ever to walk the face of the planet and yet we seem determined to chart our destiny based on a willingness to accept cynical political and corporate spin, cheap 3 world policy [Big New Tax] statements and cheap, petty personality contests that masquerade as substance. We need to stand up and accept that politicians don’t always have our best interests at heart, we need to call them out to give us real detail about their policies. We also need to stop being so easily distracted by rediculous claims and counter claims, none of which actually change the facts of a given issue. We need to take some responsibility and not simply bounce from one political party to the other simply because we can’t be bothered to take the time to look at what is good for the country and not just ourselves.

Our tendency towards apathy makes for a laid back country that is great to live in, but it also allows us to be taken advantage of by those who seek power for the wrong reasons. We currently seem to act more like sheep, than humans. Changing our minds at the drop of a hat and allowing ourselves to be played as fools. We have a great country, probably the best country in the world, if we want it to be that way for our grandkids I suggest we stand up, take some personal responsibility and ask what is best for all Australians and stop squealing like stuck pigs when things don’t go perfectly.

We complain about loss of aussie manufacturing, but we won’t ‘Buy Australian’. Two bob each way… as usual.

VMX42

*Please note I never named any individual, nor am I talking about any specific individual – my comments are generalisations [offensive and challenging as that is to some]  – I don’t expect to be agreed with, I have never cared about that at all. But also note, that although some of the language might have been a bit strong, I have not stooped to personal attacks. Also, by using Gillard and climate change as an example please don’t assume you know my political leaning – I have voted for both the Libs and Labour [and probably the Libs more often] but I don’t vote for the party name, I vote for what I believe is in the best interests of ALL Australians. I have never had my vote bought, nor have I ever been swayed by shallow political enticements. But is is true I think Tony Abbott is an embarrassment to himself, his party and the country and that Julia has an enormous butt.  :D
[/quote]

so from allthis I take it that you 3 political mistro's message to our fellow VMXer who has started this thread is !
Firko:- dont whinge ,just stop to smell the rose's and I'm alright :)
2.Nathan :-Learn to shut the fork up and don't whinge
3.VMX42 stop squealing like a pig and take responsibility for yourself.

Or do you think that whether or not your summizing is correct it might not have been appropriate in the here and now?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:23:08 pm by motomaniac »

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 27, 2011, 09:20:13 pm »
[quote author=vmx42 link=topic=15295.msg211841#msg211841 date=1319703320

I hope you don't mean that I have been programmed to think that Julia has a huge butt? But no programming can hide Mr Abbotts dubious personal traits.

[/quote]
"we have allowed ourselves to be manipulated by vested interests and narrow political agendas into ‘playing the [wo]man not the ball’."VMX42

I see what you mean.

Mod2

« Reply #152 on: October 27, 2011, 09:25:05 pm »
Just watching, reading, observing and maybe even learning a thing or two.
Keep it civil.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 27, 2011, 09:31:48 pm »
That is probably your most incisive post yet Walter. I hope you are wrong…

I hope you don't mean that I have been programmed to think that Julia has a huge butt? But no programming can hide Mr Abbotts dubious personal traits.

...and thanks for noticing my politness. I hope Motomaniac approves.

Yes its appreciated but I agree with Wasp.And we are no where near educated like any Scandinavian country nor most of Central Europe , including some of the former Easten Block.

p.s. I should add that after reading through all the individual posts here seems to me that we are also a ways behind or friends across the Tasman.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:42:01 pm by motomaniac »

Curly3

« Reply #154 on: October 27, 2011, 09:36:42 pm »
I reckon mod2 is you Walter, throwing in a smoky.
By the way, thanks for letting me know who mod1 is.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:38:24 pm by SlideRulz »

Curly3

« Reply #155 on: October 27, 2011, 09:43:52 pm »
Poker face.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: October 27, 2011, 09:45:06 pm »
Stan S is also here .Best wishes to you Stan ,I hope you can get through with out too much suffering for you and the family.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 27, 2011, 09:48:13 pm »
Been watchin the apprentice on TV, Its got F A to do with real apprenticeship. Any lets have Pauline Hanson for PM instaed of Gillard...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 27, 2011, 10:24:20 pm »
We have to have an election up here in QLD by next March, after 20 years of Labor missmanagement people have had enough, I predict (and everybody else)the Qld Labor party will be about as stong as the NSW Labor party after the election.....the 20 year old LNP oposition party wont fear much better (there main re-election campaign for 20 years is basically we dont have to do anything as the Labor party will shoot itself in the foot and well romp it in....only problem is there still waiting after 20 years)....now for the seriously funny part....Bob Katters Australian Party (my neighbor is his QLD leader) will pick up so much slack (way more than Pauline Hansen's "One Nation" party) we will probably end up with a coalition government.....Bob Katter's party being the major stake holder....Beleive it or not....there'ill be armed guards at the border to stop all you southerners from sneaking up here again....argh the good old days....bring back Joh. ;)....it's gonna happen.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

crankpin

« Reply #159 on: October 27, 2011, 10:40:36 pm »
Been watchin the apprentice on TV, Its got F A to do with real apprenticeship. Any lets have Pauline Hanson for PM instaed of Gillard...
Brett

We have 2 PM's, neither of whom was voted in, both are chicken shit.

we will probably end up with a coalition government.

See above, a waste of skin the 2 of them, neither party particularly popular and are leading the blind British public into another 12 months of recession. Of course they'll blame it on the previous government just as always  ::) And when it's all over, they'll give it all back and say 'look what we've done for you' and get voted in for another term. Makes me blood boil, tossers...

Sorry for the hijack...

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: October 27, 2011, 10:48:32 pm »
Yeah Davey,
Joh got the job right even if he was a bit sus on the corruption.. Even Kennet would be better than our last couple of boso federal leaders. In all sincerity, it would be a hard, shit job. A good person as leader would either quit or turn bad...
Sorry bout the hi Jack, but politics are responsible for the demise of manufacturing in Oz,and its not just labours fault as it was way out of line even when howard was in.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

mx250

« Reply #161 on: October 28, 2011, 12:45:00 am »
..... but politics are responsible for the demise of manufacturing in Oz............
Sorry, but not by commission nor omission are the pollies responsible.

Some detail maybe, but not in the big overall picture - it is the ebb and flow of economic life and changes in history and economic fortunes. I'm sorry but 1.2 billion people with brains and resources will always come to dominate human behaviour and existence. Anything else is an aberration.

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:03:44 am by lukeb1961 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: October 28, 2011, 07:32:37 am »
Cheerfully in the upcoming NZ election Mana ( extreme left) has a better chance of being voted in than NZ Labour .... and hopefully NZ will come to its senses and go back to a 'first past the post' voting system that stops the travesty of forming coalitions of the unemployable with the lunatic fringe and Maori.

The Helen Clark years are a shameful chapter in NZ history that should be forgotten. With vice, cronyism, and general dishonesty at the top changing the way people thought about how they should behave ( honesty integrity) at the bottom. John Key is a great man and shown true leadership .... Labours MPs were the scum of society, who when they wearn't in jail or getting the boot ripping of their expenses, were bringing the country down to the lowest common denominator, which in NZ is much lower and comes with an out stretched brown hand.
formerly Marc.com

mx250

« Reply #164 on: October 28, 2011, 08:27:38 am »
..... but politics are responsible for the demise of manufacturing in Oz............
Sorry, but not by commission nor omission are the pollies responsible.

http://www.aph.gov.au/library/pubs/rp/1999-2000/2000rp07.htm
and
http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/Previousproducts/1301.0Feature%20Article382001?opendocument&tabname=Summary&prodno=1301.0&issue=2001&num=&view=
Some interesting references, stats, graphs and reading there. (Not quite sure if you are meaning to support or refute my position and assertions. :P)