Author Topic: WooHoo, I got me a YZ125X!  (Read 11824 times)

TM BILL

Re: WooHoo, I got me a YZ125X!
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2008, 08:09:14 PM »
Just bring your YZ over for CD5, and I'll find the money somehow...

[/quote]
Nathan if your serious PM me cos i will have to arrange shipping etc  :)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
i am curious and have a few questions about 125X models.

did they sell in large numbers ? and they also seem quite collectable, is that because they were quite rare in the day and have the "x" model designation, please enlighten me Yamaha fans.

1974 YZ 125 A SERIAL # 453-000101 - 007730

1975 YZ 125 B SERIAL # 453-100101 - 101620 

1976 YZ 100 C SERIAL # 1J4-000101 - 003470
         YZ 125 C SERIAL # 537-000101 - 014044
         YZ 125 X SERIAL # 1G8-000101 - 007120

the last number is the top serial number in the production run ( give or take the pre release testers )
so in theroy the rarer would be the 'B' model if you could call it that as that designation Run was only 1500 units long.

1977 everything in the range lined up again as the "d"
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 03:47:42 PM by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 11:14:42 PM »
Hey, thread from the dead, er... let me see... thread from the hospice...

Update:
Frame is painted, swing arm, triple clamps and handle bars are fitted.

Still can't prise the DT175 barrel off the matching numbers X cases. Once it's off, I'll fit a C barrel for now, unless someone wants to sell me an X barrel (or swap for a C barrel).

Shock absorber is in bits, waiting for me to order the seals (thanks to Sean from SOS for the part numbers - highly recommended).

Seat cover arrived from the USA earlier this week.

Wheels are assembled but not yet tensioned/trued.

New tyres are here (2.75x21 and 3.50x18 - perfect for an old 125).

Most bits sourced, although many still need fettling.

Still looking for fork seals. I assume that they're a particular seal, given the relatively high pressures encountered in the air forks. Any help/leads on this will be greatly appreciated.

Anyhow, the real reason for this post is to say a big Thanks to Mark (Snowy 76), Scott (VMX Plastics) and Adam (YZ360A) - between the three of them, it's almost looking like it might be a low-cost project :o.
Hell, this thing might even make CD5 yet! (And if it doesn't, it won't be for lack of trying on my behalf!)
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »
Good stuff Nathan, once she`s done you should post some before and after shots, i`ve got a ripper before shot!
Couple of CR`s

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 12:39:55 AM »
I didn't take any before shots, so I'm depending on you to embarrass me...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2008, 03:17:49 AM »
Keep the pressure on Nathan, it would be great to see the bike at CD5.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2008, 04:41:50 PM »
So what happening with the X Nathan? Have you got the shock back together? I mailed those bits yesterday morning for you.
When can we see a picture??

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2008, 06:04:56 PM »
his camera is errr how we say here broke ..............   hehehe
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2008, 09:17:59 PM »
The pressures on now Nathen, maybe able to get some pics of the X back in it`s prime, New to shit , and back on the track again, should be interesting, you are the second owner from new, { I just past it on }
Couple of CR`s

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2008, 10:04:27 PM »
Wow, the pressure is on...  :D

I haven't touched it since my last post - between a busy week at work, and f$%king road cars breaking down (yes, plural...), and Clarence on the weekend, I think I've got a decent excuse...

Will take pics over the weekend.

DJR, cheers! :)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 10:48:34 PM »
Does anyone know what sort of front hub an X should have? The early type with the little webs between the spokes on the non-brake side, of the later type without the webs?

Had a reasonably productive day.

Stripped the motor down, and it all looks quite good in there. Even after the years in the weather, it all came apart nicely* - something to do with not being subjected to ham-fisted morons with shifters and multi-grips, I guess.
The big end is OK, but not good enough to put back into a motor (although if it was in the bike and running, I'd leave it there). So one of my newly-acquired C motors has donated its crank and good rod.

It will go back together one night next week, after a lot of cleaning and a re-paint. The project 125C's motor will go together tomorrow as a warm-up.

Rear wheel is stilling in the swing arm so I can true it - will do it and the C's rear wheel tomorrow.

*This is a lie. Most of it came apart nicely, but one of the studs that hold the head and barrel onto the cases was rusted solid - took a LOT of work to get the barrel off... I didn't damage the cases, but the DT175 barrel is now strictly 'paddock bike only'...

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2008, 08:02:38 AM »
The front hub for the X is the same as the C with the small webs on the opposite side to the brake. Keep us informed on how you a going.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 12:39:21 PM »
Well, it's done a few laps of the backyard now.  :)

It fricken hammers - I was happy with how the C goes, but the X will blow it away.

Still has a few rough bits - crappy old plastics, wrong colour fuel tank, poorly bogged up fuel tank, etc, but with time this limited, I just don't care.

And the air forks need sorting - they're way too hard ATM.

The rebuilt shock is too soft though. Bit of head scratching as to how to sort that out, between now and Saturday morning (well, tomorrow morning really seeing as tomorrow will be spent travelling).  Pretty sure it doesn't have enough gas pressure as the local place ran out (he'd barely used his gas bottle for years until I learned he has it - I've gassed about a dozen shocks in the last six months).

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 01:46:24 PM »
Well done Nathan

Looks aren't everything!

I'm just taken a lunch break trying to sort sort out the last things on a YZ250 project! I see a midnight session upon me to be ready to be picked up at sparrows fart tomorrow.

Hope your bringing other bikes including the AT1!

Regards

Peter B
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2008, 02:56:10 PM »
You're alive Peter! Excellent news! Be good to catch up and give you a hard time for not making it to Clarence, between drinking beers. :)

The AT1 won't make it this time - I've 'borrowed' its bottom end for the CT1 race bike, so its leaning up against the side of the house, looking very unloved. :'(
Plan is to have it at CD6 in 'world beater' pre-70 trim...  :D/ ;D