Author Topic: WooHoo, I got me a YZ125X!  (Read 11831 times)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
Re: WooHoo, I got me a YZ125X!
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2008, 11:32:44 AM »
Yeah Graeme its a nice bike and with all those spare parts it would be a good buy. But selling a YZ125X to help build a HL500 ::) When I got my one and first rode it I was surprized at how good it went ;D
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2008, 11:46:02 AM »
i am curious and have a few questions about 125X models.

did they sell in large numbers ? and they also seem quite collectable, is that because they were quite rare in the day and have the "x" model designation, please enlighten me Yamaha fans.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2008, 12:14:53 PM »
The X model is just your basic 'C'-125 model, but because yamaha in all their wisdom had already designated the year (1975)before's YZ125 a 'C' it was a model in front of its big brothers the YZ250/360B. So hence for 1976 you get the YZ400C the YZ250C the YZ125X and the YZ100C. So then the following year 1977 all the models are named 'D'.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2008, 02:32:45 PM »
i wouldn't have a clue of the numbers sold, but i do remember riding a 125x back in about 79 and was real impressed. it went like a rocket and was so slim and light,
loved it!
unfortunately for the "X", the seat/tank often dissapears to some tt500 owner somewhere and the forks also fell victim to the "too hard basket" and so it is that the beautiful "X" is not everyones cup of tea.
my sheds too full of crap already but i'd love one.
currently chipping away at a mx125c copy that will run the same motor as the X.
"flat bickie"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »
Graeme's HL was a real one, not a replica, which puts it a few rungs up the ladder (but still below the 125X). ;D

The X and Cs were sneered at just a couple of years ago, but have rapidly become quite popular.

Yamaha and Suzuki seemed to go a bit mental for a little while, trying to out do each other: three different model YZ125s in a ~24 month period, and four(?) RM125s in about three years.

The X is where Yamaha got the upper hand over Suzuki, but I'm not yet convinced that a YZ125X is a better pre-78 race bike than a YZ125D is. The X is definitely prettier than the D.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2008, 11:11:25 PM »
The YZ125X and RM125S were compared in the first issue of ADB. And it was for that very reason (and my love for the looks of the RM125M/S) that I bought my YZ-X and soon after an RM125S. I then sold both to get the HL, and while I don't regret buying the HL, I sure do regret selling those 125s... I still have the phone number of the guy I sold the X to, maybe I should chase it up some time? And while the X and S bikes are only 75/76 models, they are far more interesting Pre78 racers to me than the YZ-D or RM-A.

Oh, and the RM-S is infinitely better looking than anything else from then with the possible exception of the 77 CR125... I just love downpipes.

Phil

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »

I'm one of those bastards who chopped up a 125X for the parts. In this case I used the wheels on a YZ 125 A, the tank and seat ended up on my mates trick SL125 and the engine got sold on the Trading Post. The rest went to the tip. I'm sorry now but it wasn't worth anything then.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2008, 07:40:01 AM »
Nathan I would agree with you that the 'D' would certainly be a better race bike for pre78. The motor design is much better without the linkage gear shift, the suspension is a vast improvement over the 'X' and the single sided airbox is much better. On a whole the 'D' is leaps and bound better than the 'X' as a race bike.
  I have the bike for you then Graeme, if you like down pipes and hot bits for the bike. In fact I would love this bike myself. I will let you be the judge on the best looking '75-'76, 125 bike of the period. ;D

Old Phil, you nasty man ;) just because 'you' say it wasnt worth anything back then you took it to the tip? And obviously vmx was up and running at the time, but to take an old motocross bike to the tip isnt showing allot of love for the sport or machinery, esspecially just because it wasnt worth much. I take it that money (the value of a bike) is worth more to you than preserving old motocross bikes ???

TM BILL

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2008, 08:55:45 AM »
Graeme's HL was a real one, not a replica, which puts it a few rungs up the ladder (but still below the 125X). ;D

The X and Cs were sneered at just a couple of years ago, but have rapidly become quite popular.

Yamaha and Suzuki seemed to go a bit mental for a little while, trying to out do each other: three different model YZ125s in a ~24 month period, and four(?) RM125s in about three years.

The X is where Yamaha got the upper hand over Suzuki, but I'm not yet convinced that a YZ125X is a better pre-78 race bike than a YZ125D is. The X is definitely prettier than the D.

Nathan please ::) while the X is a nice bike it was never an RM 125 A beater and only really on par with the 1975 RM 125 S  in performance ;)

The suzukis are better looking , faster, and more desirable   :)

10 world championships in a row cant be wrong 1975 - 1984  ;D

PS still a fleet of Suzukis and a YZ 125A Nogouchi here for you to test ride when your ready  :)

« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 08:59:13 AM by TM BILL »

Phil

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2008, 09:47:30 AM »
DJ, It may seem that I was insensitive to break up a YZ 125X but you have to look at it in the context of the time. It was 1989 and Evo or pre 1978 was over 10 years away and not even being mentioned as a possibility in the future. The bike wasn't in the best of condition and wasn't worth restoring based on the fasion of the time. In overall history of the sport,  the 125 X, didn't enjoy a great reputation. It wasn't one of Yamahas finest creations.
I'd like to think that the parts got two or three vintage bikes of the time onto the track and the bike wasn't dismantled in vain. In hindsight I should have saved it but who was to know.

As far as preserving old bikes, I think I've redeemed myself since by rescuing, restoring and racing over 15 bikes over 20 years. I think I've shown that my "love" of the sport is indeed valid as I'm still doing it long after many have moved on to other hobbys.

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
Too true Old Phil. I reckon the majority suffer from the pain that is hind sight . How many of have said, if only i had kept that, not thrown that away etc. We are all sufferers, that is unless you are a hoarder and cant get inside your house for stuff you have kept over the years and sleep on the front lawn!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2008, 05:17:24 PM »
Fair call Old Phil. I will light another candle for a lost comrade, and to know she didnt die invain but may have helped other bikes in their time of need.  ;) ;D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 09:17:33 PM »
Chin up; think of it as a metalurgical organ transplant!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 11:20:08 PM »
Nathan please ::) while the X is a nice bike it was never an RM 125 A beater and only really on par with the 1975 RM 125 S  in performance ;)

PS still a fleet of Suzukis and a YZ 125A Nogouchi here for you to test ride when your ready  :)

From ADB #5, RM125A feature/YZ125X comparison:
The RM125A is as good a motorcycle, overall, as the YZ125X. Both have good and bad points, sure, but overall, we'd say about even.
The gist of it all was that the YZ goes better, has better forks, but was a bit harder to ride and has less-good rear suspension.

From Yamaha Dirtbikes (starts off talking about the YZ/RM 100s):
With 18hp on tap, the 100 was a lot more powerful than its only significant comeptitor, the Suzuki. But the Suzuki's suspension was better and steering more precise making the two a pretty even match. The same was true with the 125. With almost identical top end, it was the greater midrange that gave the YZ the advantage over the RM, but it was really close. The suspension and steering on both machines was very good making the two almost inseparable, except for the $35 higher price of the YZ. Machine performance wouldn't be able to make the one [sic] a best seller over the other; that would have to be left to the advertising people.

Just bring your YZ over for CD5, and I'll find the money somehow...

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline mboddy

• A-Grade
  • Canberra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »
I owned both a C and an X from new.
I raced both in MX, DT and enduro as well as a friend's RM125S (thanks Chooky).
I sorted out the X rear suspension by letting out some of the gas from the shock.
After that the rear end was much better in my opinion than either the C or the S.

Differences between C and X:
White C and Yellow X.
34mm carby up from 30mm (with bigger boot to airbox).
Air cannister forks.
Longer travel rear.
520 chain up from 428.
Vinduro Penrite Team
1980 Yamaha IT125G, 1979 Yamaha IT175F, 1984 Yamaha IT200L, 1977 Yamaha IT250D and IT400D