Author Topic: WooHoo, I got me a YZ125X!  (Read 11830 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: WooHoo, I got me a YZ125X!
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2008, 06:54:25 PM »
Figured this could do with an update.

Dragged the X up to CD5, but it didn't make it to the track. A few things conspired against me: A much-too-low carby float level, a loose choke mech, leaky needle and seat, and a leaky fuel tap.
A few of these things were discovered at CD5, but not all of them....

So I regrouped, and got them all sorted, and then dragged it back up to CRC.

It is a great bike, despite a few (more) teething issues.
In practice, the clutch fell off.... Well, the nut that hold the clutch onto the input shaft of the gearbox fell off, then the clutch didn't work at all. Obviously a problem due to the rushed build.... :-[
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j41/Tento850/DSCF4525.jpg (photo thanks to Noel)
I wasted the rest of practice sorting that, and then in the first corner of the first race, I got a little bit excited trying to get around Bill C, and dropped it. It was a 'nothing' crash - didn't even stall it - but when I picked it up it was in neutral and the lever was jammed.

So after fart-arseing around with it, I removed the neutral detent mech. "Click", it popped into gear... Weird. So I fished out the ball-bearing and ran the rest of the weekend without neutral, and the gearbox was beautiful.

Not sure that the suspension is right, but I need to spend some time riding (rather than racing) to work out what is needed - plus going from short travel bikes to it, was always going to make the X feel good...
I think the rear spring is too soft for a start.

But DJRacing was right all those months ago when he told me that I was wrong for saying that I could live without an X. It has all of the C's good points (light, flickable, easy to ride etc), with more power and better suspension.

I love it.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:06:13 PM by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2008, 06:58:18 PM »
Damn another one lost to bloody late model stuff!!!! ;) >:(  8)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:43:25 PM by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 21, 2008, 07:38:34 PM »
You'll get it sorted I know Nathan, and I hope now you understand why I feel like a bit of a cheat racing my X in pre75 over here. But shhhh, dont tell TM Bill that  ;) . The X is a cool bike with loads of power and once you get the forks set up and balanced with the rear shock it handles not to bad. Has yours got the big pipe on it or is it a "C" pipe?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2008, 02:06:09 PM »
And, many months after the fact, here's the "Before" photos, thanks to Snowy76...

Update on the bike is that I won my first ever race on it, at the second Canberra HEAVEN round - although the full story is that Noel and Jens were clearing off into the distance with me a distant third, when Jens' bike locked up and took both him and Noel out.
In the second race of that meeting, I had one of the best races of my life, chasing Noel down after I had a (typical) lousy start - got second by about half a wheel length.

Then up at Buladelah, I was easily winning practice on it, when I got into a tank slapper and bit it hard. Bike came out undamaged, but I ended up with a broken fibula.

Back next year!
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2008, 05:31:18 PM »
Nathan Nathan Nathan I warned you the X had power  ;)  ;D but I didnt think you would be doing tank slappers and breaking bones. Sorry to hear that mate. I hope you get well soon so you can give Noel and the boys some more curry.
How about posting up some race photos if you have any and with the time off work whats the bike you plan to build next?
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2008, 10:51:50 PM »
Oh, I did it back in Sept.... Just didn't make a fuss about it, 'cause there didn't seem to be much point.
Only a slight hobble now, getting better by the day.

Next? Ah... I dunno - sorting out the DT1 racer is the most obvious thing to do, and then probably the KDX200B.
Or maybe some digit extraction and actually do something about this new rally car....