Poll

The pre-78 Nationals should be included with...

the pre-75 Nationals.
78 (78%)
the Evo and newer Nationals.
14 (14%)
where-ever - I don't care.
8 (8%)

Total Members Voted: 73

Author Topic: Nationals split: pre-75 or pre-78?  (Read 49785 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Nationals split: pre-75 or pre-78?
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2010, 04:55:49 pm »
Just to help so we know what we are discussing
http://www.ma.org.au/fileadmin/user_upload/Documents/Reports___Minutes/2010/Commission_Meetings/80010578%20CMX%20Minutes%208%20%26%209%20May%2010.pdf
Note 2 year trial
Cheers
Noel

Thanks Col for all your hard work and time in your applications to the commission on the future of Classic Motocross in Australia  :-*
Best is in the West !!

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2010, 08:08:05 pm »
I have to agree with Brad about WA keeping to Pre75 for their club rides, I think its great. Preserving an era of motocross without faulter is very important to our sport.
  I also think that what JC says about how the arguments/debates are both correct, but are all only speculations on how to keep the older classes alive. Both parties may never agree, but both are right.

I ride/race bikes in Pre75-78-Evo and used to race in Pre85. With that said, This is how I started racing; firstly on an Evo bike, and then I went to Pre85. I then started to race a pre78 bike and now have a Pre75 bike.
 I believe that alot of riders have probably started racing this way, getting a bike, and then wanting to try other classes, so in my case I have slowly started to move back in the years rather than forwards and that is what is needed to keep older classes going. So maybe that is what WA is thinking, but, if I didnt have the pre78 bike as the 'middle ground' bike I wonder if I would have a pre75 bike now!!
 As a 'club' WA has a great format from what I can see, but it is a 'club' format not an Australian National Titles format, there is a difference.

This isn't at all personal. I've made some good friends in the west and despite what's written elsewhere on this post, I genuinely support your steadfast devotion to the pre '75 ideal. However, I believe that by using your local experience as a guide to your submission, you're overlooking the needs of the sport in other parts of Australia.

This discussion is about one meeting per year, nothing more. It's not an attempt to overthrow your club charter and force you guys to include pre '78 at every meeting on your calendar. On the law of averages the WAVMX may, just maybe, promote a classic Nationals every four years or so, so what would be so disruptive of your system to include a pre '78 class at one meeting every four years?

I think Firko has summed it up here.

Where do you think Pre60-65-70 VMX riders come from? Because if we say that you ride the era you remember and grew up with, then we are looking at a diminishing number of people who can race these bikes.
You could argue that with the Nationals being at present Pre60 through to Pre85, the numbers for the older bikes is dropping, so adding pre78 to the older Nats wouldnt help, but I think we all know that that isnt the case of why the older bikes arent turning up to Nationals.
 VMX riders don't grow on trees, they are a limited number and even moreso with the older bikes (and the bikes themselves), theirfore by allowing the Evo-Pre85 rider with a pre78 bike to race at the Classic Nationals (once a year) may incourage him to try racing older bikes.
But at the end of the day, where do these Pre60-70 riders come from?? That is the question everyone needs to look at and try to answer. Otherwise these classes are going to be lost at a National level.

Can I ask a question?
 1/  How many WA club riders on Pre60-65-70 bikes have been to the last 3 or 5 VMX Australian National Titles?
 2/  How many of those riders also raced Pre75?

If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2010, 08:51:12 pm »
We are all patrons of the sport, VMX is entrusted to us, not owned by us.

Why does their need to be a defining line in VMX, let the hosting club and its members decide what suits them best, we have enough rules now!

I would like to see more CLUBS want to run the Nationals, reform is needed for that to happen, not more restrictions. More clubs having a go at a National event , yep, far more important than a line in the sand.

just make your points to your controlling state bodies, best thru your club and it will carry more weight! submit direct if you choose, but lets not forget everybodies right to do so.

and stop the angst all of you, your just belittling yourself.

Cheers Trev, I'm done with ego's

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2010, 09:43:19 pm »
I might get shot for answering this..

Where do you think Pre60-65-70 VMX riders come from?  Fathers,sons and a few new (kids left home/midlifecrisis/testosterone junkies,pommy ) riders
Can I ask a question?
 1/  How many WA club riders on Pre60-65-70 bikes have been to the last 3 or 5 VMX Australian National Titles?  I believe pre85 has only been in the Nats for a few years,so its all really new statistics ask everyone again in 10 years (back to the question)- 19 WA riders attending is usually the trend.About half pre70,for last 3or5 Nats
 2/  How many of those riders also raced Pre75? 98% as most take two bikes in the container.

How is this going to get more riders out on pre70 bikes Australia wide  ?
This info is without looking through my paperwork. ;D

Where are these riders 
Gerald Harrison
Bill Brown
Sean Hamilton
Andre Matherson
Robert Tumes
Daniel Ronald
Ben Harris
Paul Stacker
Davud Footner
Bill Holm
Les Barfoot
Chad Markin

23 pre 70 in 2008 Tassie
Basic stats from the 96  Barrabool program…Thanks GMC  8)
Pre 75    125   all ages     57 entrants
Pre 75   250   all ages     89 entrants
Pre 75   263+   all ages     39 entrants
Pre 75   4 stroke A/P     32 entrants
Pre 75   Sidecars   A/P     6   entrants

Pre 65   4 stoke A/P   18 entrants
Pre 65   2 stroke A/P   8   entrants
Pre 70   A/P      33 entrants

Pre 75   under 30   125   11 entrants
Pre 75   30 - 39   125   26 entrants
Pre 75   40 - 49   125   11 entrants
Pre 75   50 +   125   10 entrants

Pre 75   under 30   250   14 entrants
Pre 75   30 - 39   250   37 entrants
Pre 75   40 - 49   250   23 entrants
Pre 75   50 +   250   19 entrants

Pre 75   under 30   250   9   entrants
Pre 75   30 - 39   250   31 entrants
Pre 75   40 - 49   250   20 entrants
Pre 75   50 +   250   14 entrants

States aren’t listed, just clubs. There seems to be reasonable entries from most states and a few from NZ.
Seems to be 151 entrants plus sidecar teams
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 09:57:05 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 27, 2010, 09:54:28 pm »
Are you on drugs Alison, I only know a few of those names and there not West Aussies?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 27, 2010, 09:59:02 pm »
Are you on drugs Alison, I only know a few of those names and there not West Aussies?

Straight as a die tonight...just going through who has pre70-75 bikes..trying to get the shed door open,so they will come out and ride again :P
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 27, 2010, 10:01:16 pm »
The Barrbool Nats where 14 years ago.....you cant use that as statistics.....heck some of those people arn't even around anymore and there are alot of "NEW" commers....it's whats happening now, and the trend of the last FEW years that are important!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2010, 10:05:41 pm »
Daniel Ronald does race vintage any more, Andre Matheson hasn`t rode for years, still has bikes.
Sean Hamilton raced at broadford on a greeves this year.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:08:04 pm by DAVID#46 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 27, 2010, 10:12:08 pm »
sorry liven in the wrong era  ;D,,,Ok have just looked at 09/2010 and what a dramatic drop in pre70 and under.Its too early to do that many stats as pre85 is a whole new ball game.
Which can/could bring the whole Nationals threads on this forum back to
WHY WOULD YOU THRASH YOURSELF AND PRE65 BIKE ON A PRE85 TRACK ?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:26:57 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline micks

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 27, 2010, 10:12:20 pm »
thank`s Noel

firko

« Reply #130 on: May 27, 2010, 10:23:32 pm »
*Robbie Tumes from Broken Hill still races the big meets, won a class I think at the Coffs Nats.

*Bill Brown is a Klub Kevlar good 'ol boy, still races occasionally even after having a malignantly cancerous kidney removed in August last year. He's a pre 70 legend having won the Nats twice, ten years apart with his orange Monty 250. He'll be in the Kompound at CD7.

*Paul Stacker's got a full time job putting Maico engines together for Paul but I don't think he's raced for a while.

*Les Barfoot still races, he was brilliant racing a very fast XR80 in 4 stroke at the Coffs Nats.

* Sean Hamilton is still involved in the scene, works in with Drakey a bit.

*David Footners from SA and was only ever a part time vintage racer.

*Billy Holm still races at 72 years of age but of late he's been caring for a very sick wife but still has the passion and ability. He's one of Col Metchers Supersenior troupe.

Dave covered Daniel Ronald and Andre Matheson and I have no idea who the rest are. What's the point you're trying to make here Alison?

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2010, 10:35:00 pm »
What's the point you're trying to make here Alison?

Thanks for the rider info,just a point that the old bikes are in the shed's and they may stay there for awhile longer yet and really to help DJ out with his questions.There is no right or wrong answers only that we are all trying to preserve the eras we like to ride.Always best to speak face to face  :)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »
Putting myself in the"average punter" category I have ridden off and on at the Nats since their inception. What we seem to have is the same situations/difficulties in politics that exist in many Australian sports due to our geographical situation/isolatedness.The WA boys and girls (gotcha in Allision) want to promote what works in their part of the world ie Pre 75 , but the eastern board prefer Pre 78. In reality not many Easterners go west, due to probably cost and availabilty of alternatives(these have been my excuses, real or invented) while Westerners will venture East in slightly higher numbers as it becomes "the big thing to do that year"  and provides the different experience from the norm. Some sports ie Swimming Australia settled this type of problem by deciding that "all" Open Aust championships/Commowealth Games tials/Olympic tials are at the Homebush Pool in Sydney.(Been going there for the last 4 years with son and while its great re accom, travel organisation etc, it gets a bit "how de do" going to the same place.
Due to our Club structures, track availabilty etc this is won't occur in VMX. To rationalise things at this stage we probably need a compromise rule that would allow the Nats to be split pre/post 78, however with a sub rule allowing the organising Club (be it WA, Qld or elsewhere) to set the cut off at Pre 75 and in that year, the Pre 78 class move to the "Newer nats". In reality as Firko says, this is only likely to hppen every 4-5 years and while an inconvenience , I think via past paricipation numbers its likely to affect only a very small number of competitors wanting to travel that year.
The question is "Could MA possibly deal with this degree of flexibility in its rules?"
Rosco

« Reply #133 on: May 28, 2010, 05:45:40 am »
That is the rationale here and has been said a couple of times . The submitting club can nominate a pre75 or pre78 nat's. Problem solved.

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2010, 06:43:01 am »
Hi Guys,
FirKos  Quote: The thing that worries me however is that if the commission is convinced to change their decision, what reaction will come from the west? I sincerely hope it doesn't evolve into yet another lengthy debate.

This could not be further from the truth we are not convinced to change our decision, we thought long and very hard about this proposal and beleive it our not we take pride in how cmx and cdt are run and feel that this issue could well be the single most important decision in recent VMX history.
The commission made its decision based on all proposals sent to MA not just Cols and if more clubs/states had sent in proposals then we may not of been debatining this issue.
Please don't shout WA clubs and riders for backing there proposal as they have a right as we all do to put our opion forward and standing for what they think is right.   
It is now up to the riders out there to convince the clubs and the SCBs that we got it wrong by sending in your comments on the minutes.

please dont sit on your hands and do nothing, now is the time for ACTION!

Cheers
Fatboy