Author Topic: An advertisment sure to bring back a few memories  (Read 16994 times)

Doc

An advertisment sure to bring back a few memories
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:53:10 am »

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: An advertisment sure to bring back a few memories
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 04:45:48 pm »
Cool poster Doc.what year was it?

All Things 414

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:19:42 pm »
It'd have to be 1976 I'd say....

Doc

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 07:22:02 pm »
Yeah from memory you are right 414  ;)

I believe it was the first of the posters. I have a good mind to get in touch with Golden Breed and see if the prints are available for other years that may be of interest. Up to '81..after that era I regressed and went back to the 70's to live it over again and again...and again  ;D

All Things 414

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 08:01:52 pm »
I'd be more than happy to part with some cash for a repo of one of those posters. Anyone know where I can get one?

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 08:02:57 pm »
Here's our man from 1978; I reckon your Golden Breed bloke was an earlier version.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

All Things 414

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 08:06:37 pm »
'76 for sure. The next Sun 23 May was in 1982.

Doc

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 09:20:38 pm »
This, another from May 1976.
The '76 5 round series was the first to run outside of NSW
with the prior 2 series confined to Amaroo Park only.
How do I know..I just read about it. So it all started in 1974 ;D

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:25:16 pm by Doc »

Doc

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 09:28:16 pm »
Brian Martin was mentioned as a Kiwi contender..who was the other??  ;)

the poster below also adorned my walls as a nipper even though skeg's were the enemy!  :P

« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 09:33:18 pm by Doc »

firko

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 10:46:03 pm »
The other Kiwi would have been Peter Ploen on an RN400. He was a very quick and spectacular rider but he face planted far too often to be a serious threat in the series. I believe he still has the odd vintage ride in NZ.  Brian Martin was in reality only half Kiwi as he had been an Aussie resident for many years by 1976.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 12:51:05 am by firko »

Doc

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 06:52:51 am »
Firko..no, not Peter Ploen and not an RN400. 'So far as I know' Anthony Gunter and Neville Cutts were the only riders to get the RN and that was about 1979 flown out especially for Gunters MRMX assult.. ;)

anyone else know who this Kiwi was?.... :P

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 07:44:31 am »
I wasn't much into motocross back then so I don't really know that much about the 70s in Australia, but wasn't there a guy called Ivan Miller, or something like that? He was big in the mid 70s I think.

magoo

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2007, 07:46:24 am »
If anyone has posters I can get them copied. I've got 4 MR Motocross posters but they are later ones, 1984,85,86 and '87 Still cool posters but not as good as the earlier ones.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2007, 07:46:43 am »
  Doc, the NZ Suzuki distributors Colemans issued one each to Ivan Miller and Peter Ploen (see VMX mag #19) and Peter rode this bike, not an Aussie-issued one. He also rode in Mr MX on a Kawasaki in 1980 when Brisbane-domiciled. He is still riding, and winning, today on an RM 250, and has flogged Brad Lackey a few times over there as well. He was NZ's first resident professional mxer, and still has the eyes of a naughty little kid....
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2007, 07:57:05 am »
Sorry Doc,
But Peter Ploen definitely rode an RN400 in the Mr Motocross. I saw him at Amaroo Park in '75. A wild and crazy Kiwi and a really likeable character. There are even some pics of him competeing in Issue 19 of VMX.

And lets not forget Ivan Miller. I remember him [and Gunter] arriving at Amaroo park with 2 Suzukis crammed [and I mean crammed] in the back of a Suzuki Carry Ute. Remember the Carry was a 360cc, 2-stroke beast, it would have taken an eternity to get to Amaroo from Suzuki HQ in Camelia in one of those overloaded things. In fact I have never seen a vehicle struggle with the rough access road into the pits like the overloaded Carry. I was sure it was going to tip over at any moment. I forgot to watch it try to get back up the hill after the races, I am sure it would have needed a good push.

The RH500 for the '79 series [that Gunter used to clean sweep the Amaroo Park decider] did in fact to to Neville Cutts in WA and then dissappeared back to Japan to never be seen again. I remember Gunter got off line and ran wide coming off the main straight jump and ended up in the erosion ditch - he never backed off and simply jumped back onto the track without losing the lead. It looked easy but I am sure it took his beath away.

Great days [and terrible hot dogs]. Ah!! the memories of Amaroo Park
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"