Author Topic: An advertisment sure to bring back a few memories  (Read 16999 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
Re: An advertisment sure to bring back a few memories
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 12:43:28 pm »
Here's another piece from 1978; it shows the winners since inception in 1974.

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 03:01:04 pm »
http://www.sameoldstory.com/   this is a good web site for all those old school shots !
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 05:23:03 pm »
My brother had a Mr Motocross poster on his garage wall for years. It had John Behrens (correct spelling???) doing a great crossup wheel stand on a husky 360. I asked him what happened to it when he moved house and he said he threw it out because it had a few rips in it. I cried!

Ed

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 05:47:35 pm »
 OK, Doc, put us out of our agony, it's been bugging me all day at work : who was the other mystery NZ rider? It's a tough one, I was thinking Gary Goodfellow, saw him go nuts on a 125 in a support race at Mr MX at Broadford, musta been 1979 though.... was it Ross Horsburgh on a Honda ?
 And, re Johnny Behrens - grouse, go #191 !
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Doc

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 06:08:18 pm »
okies well I stand corrected on the RH400 in 1975 :P This really is interesting anyway as I loved the MR MX series in the early days buuuuut still the riders name I am looking eludes all..it's not Ivan Miller, not Peter Ploen..but  *E**R  *O**E .. 8)
 Unless the magazine contains an error in the report of course (which is quite possible) the riders name has not yet been mentioned. It's weird as I always thought this guy was an Aussie but then I was wrong with the RN's so eh, entirely possible I was wrong with his nationality.

GD66 to put you out of your agony I'll PM you the name  ;) If this is wrong than I am not to blame as I have simply copied what was written way back when men were men and sheep were nervous  :P
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:12:39 pm by Doc »

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 06:17:38 pm »
DING ! And the light goes on ! Sneaky, Doc, but if you are referring to Peter Boyle, yes, he did ride for Phil Thew for a coupla years, but is from Wellington, his dad Frank was a partner in Lawton and Boyle in Wellington with renowned 2-stroke tuner Dick Lawton, and IIRC Peter was a NZ 125 champ, and a good guy, few could lay a glove on him aboard a 125 in the 70s. Had me going there.... ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Doc

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 06:22:24 pm »
 ;D we have a winner!! GD66 has it! I never knew Peter was a Kiwi but, yes..he sure did ride for PTM! Did I ever mention this is where I bought my RM's from  :P :D The Phil Thew riders were my inspiration though obviously I never worshipped them enough to delve into hometowns  :)

TMWilliam and DEEEJ should have pounced on that one! I got the lowdown on Peter Ploen from Bill when he was over and I've seen some recent pics of him in action..he still looks really bloody fast!  :o
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 06:28:29 pm by Doc »

Doc

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 06:34:12 pm »
Magoo..the poster shown above actually came from the Golden Breed site.

http://www.goldenbreed.com/POSTERS2.html

I'm awaiting an email reply as to whether other years are available but here's hoping ;)

firko

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 06:44:30 pm »
The artist who did the Mr Motocross poster, Peter Ledger died tragically (car crash?) in the USA a few years ago. His stuff sure was distinctive. He was a member of the Scaysbrook/Tesoreiro Willoughby club clique back then.

oldmotoxer

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 06:52:38 pm »
Yep ya right Doc, it brought back some memories. I use to have the exact same poster up on my wall back in the days when I was going to be a motoX star  ;D I'm not sure about the Golden Breeds site etc but I'm sure my poster came from the back of a Revs mag.

Doc

« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »
oldmotoxer..yep! I still have many many Revs from 75-80 but sadly the MR MX posters have been raped and pilaged long ago..by me :P I'll go through what's left and post some more so long as no-one is gonna pounce on me for copyright :o I have a goody of Per Kitland and a really nice orange TT500 when new as i saw them when perusing for MrMX stuff, ads for XT's, XL's, CR's, RM's and more exotic stuff. Might just keep adding them here when I find something intersesting.  :)

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2007, 07:50:24 pm »
I've still got the original MR MX poster with the crossed up husky. Guess i'm a motocross tragic or an A class hoarder. Its a bit tatty but has survived all these years. My mates and i worshiped that poster. It was when the 4 rounds were run at Amaroo Park. I remember there was a bit of a promotion at Roselands shopping centre in about 1974 and some of the riders were handing out these posters. Not sure but i think Chris Dixon from Macklin motorcycles was one of the riders. We were immature 14 year old dickheads so we then went out and painted XR75 on the bus shelter.  I'll try and post it up tomorrow.

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2007, 08:16:05 pm »
Doc, TMB wasnt pulling ya leg about Peter. He is still one of the fastest riders in VMX and if ya wanna see a picture of him, go to the photo page "just a photo", thats Peter kneeling down looking at the old 'velo'. He is one cool rider to watch. Anyway Doc, the MX historian over here is 'MotoXrox', but he is ill at the moment, he has this really bad growth on his bum cheeks, its all red and his doc told him its CRF250itise and their is no known cure. ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 08:37:56 pm by DJRacing »
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

Doc

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2007, 08:36:21 pm »
I wouldn't doubt a word of it DJ  ;) I was in spares at Brisbane Kwaka when he was here punting around the green meanies on the MX scene and Iian Pero was riding the black stuff. I think Iian was a kiwi too  :o they're everywhere!!

Here's another couple of pics. No explaination needed.. 

vmxrider, I'd love to see that poster. I had a few but long gone now excepting 'I think' is the 85 series, it's in the workshop, tatty but on display ;D I had what I believe was 10th anniversary poster also. It had all the previous posters in the one..sad to say it's only a memory now :(
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 09:08:54 pm by Doc »

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2007, 10:55:28 pm »
Doc I was at that meeting in Wallan............ ;D Shame the old photos I had burnt in the shed fire.  >: Hey I raced at that track on minibikes ,first on my Z50a , then on Gemini 50cc and 80cc's ,The little Taiwanese horrors blew the Hondas away so they banned them from the all the following meetings, you could only ride Honda's or "Home made minibikes!! Still it was on land owned and sponsored by a Honda dealer..... ::) Funny the meetings stopped when the Mighty YZ80B appeared! They were really in my opinion the first true shit hot production MX miniracer. Cheers Tim
Anybody got some pre1976  Photos of Wallan Solos Minis or the mighty Sidecars??  ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.