Author Topic: An advertisment sure to bring back a few memories  (Read 16996 times)

Maico31

Re: An advertisment sure to bring back a few memories
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2007, 11:11:31 pm »
I remember Ivan Miller racing the Mr Motocross series in '77 and Gary Goodfellow did a few rounds in those days also. They were both super fast Kiwi's. Miller and Gunter had some great battles at Tivoli that year. Peter Boyle and Peter Ploen also lived in Qld in the late 70's and i raced againt them both. They were unbeatable on their day. Boyle was spectalular to watch and either won or crashed. I can recall Geoff Worrell, Anthony Gunter and Peter Ploen all riding RH and RN Suzukis in '74 and '75.

firko

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2007, 11:39:24 pm »
I have a suspicion that SUZUKI 211s '74 RN 400 is possibly the same bike that Ploen rode or am I off the track Dave?
I remember Ploens bike had the old suspension in the '75 Mr Motocross against the new fangled 'long' travel bikes that were emerging putting him at a bit of a disadvantage. Both Worral and Gunter were on long travel RH75's in the '75 Mr Motocross.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2007, 11:47:39 pm »
According to the article, Dave's RN400 is ex-Geoff Worrell, 1974 model. God they are horn lookers, and most memorable, there is a shot in VMX #19 of Miller's 400 under a tent at Taupo from a New Years' Day mx, I would know cos I'm crashed out behind the bike, taking a rest from commentary during the lunch break, and enjoying a New Years' hangover...,. ;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

huskyrider78

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2007, 11:56:17 pm »
I saved a couple of jpgs of the Golden Breed posters a while ago (also hoping that they might be re-released)  - I'm sure this is one of the early ones - just not sure of the year - pretty sure it is 74.

I had them all up on my wall when I was a kid - the surfer, the skateboarder, the caterpillar with the hookah (what the hell that meant back then I had no idea  ;D) and of course the Mister Motocross ones.

So many memories of Amaroo Park - but my favourite was seeing Graham Smythe come over from WA and blasting that berm at the end of the straight. I went straight home that day and put 02A on my BMX bikes numberplate!

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 30, 2007, 12:01:18 am by huskyrider78 »

huskyrider78

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2007, 11:58:29 pm »
Here's the other one I saved. Definitely one of the later ones.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2007, 09:36:38 am »
Here's my one, its tatty but has survived.

Doc

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2007, 01:41:00 pm »
I've not seen so many MrMX posters for a looong looong time..great stuff!

this is my offering, it adorns my garage wall located right beside an old litho copy of a CR250M (just out of shot to the left) I had the whole set once. I think his (artists) name 'Alan Pucket' he did many many bike paintings but he also did a naked lady mural on a TZ350 fairing back in the day. I can't remember who's bike though?? Around the same time as Warren Willing and Greg Handsford were dishing it up the yanks at Daytona. 76-78 era possibly.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2007, 05:36:12 pm »
 The Alan Puckett " Naked Lady" adorned the TZ350 Yamaha fairing of Vaughan Coburn, #98.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2007, 07:01:57 pm »
I think our man rivals Che Guevara in the iconic image stakes - and a few of us would love copies of these posters 8).
Is there anyone on the forum who knows how to go about this with the resources we have?
I tried on the work copier but it predictably blurs the larger we go.
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

magoo

« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2007, 07:50:09 pm »
Like I said before, if you have an original poster, I can get it copied.

Doc

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2007, 09:59:20 pm »
Vaughan Coburn..bloody hell..right again GD66!!  :o

I couldn't think of his name for the life of me but I can still see the bike plain as day..I can't imagine why  ;D

Doc

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2007, 01:35:29 pm »
I just got a reply back today from Golden Breed about the MR MX posters...

hi chris
we have original posters of the mr. motocross
and we will put that one and all of them soon on our website
so hopefully you will be able to view them shortly (P.S. we do not sell them sorry)
                                                         All the Best Nick

Might have to ask them for a hi-res copy since they don't sell them  :P

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2007, 04:52:09 pm »
I've never fully understood the reasoning behind 'we don't sell them anymore'...
If they have the originals and the copyright why would they hold back?
Retro copies of any product will always sell enough volume to justify the costs of a re-print.
There's a cottage industry for just about everything nowadays; replica footy shirts are a good example as are the retro MX jerseys.
They won't take the world by storm but you can't tell me there's no market for them - what a shame. :'(
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Doc

« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2007, 06:32:34 pm »
yeah it's a little sad Wombat but on the other side of the coin, is the glass half full or half empty..better than nothing which is pretty much what we started with. I reckon collage them all when they become available and make 1 nice big poster 8)

There is a Mr MX fleecy available too (wrong time of the year I know but it makes them a sale and might buy me a good price..I think he said $45) waiting for a pic to see what they're like before committing.  :)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2007, 07:06:02 pm »
Hmmm, I'd like to see that fleecy...; I have a vague recollection of owning a fleecy back in the day (cut the sleeves off) and it had a motocross graphic on the front - I wonder if it's the same one?
I used to sit in the back of a top-down Mini Moke wearing the fleecy and the open face helmet with two bikes in tow 8).

and the poster collage idea is a good one!
Perhaps Magoo can assist with that? ;)