Author Topic: Little stunt guy  (Read 19445 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Little stunt guy
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2010, 06:13:58 PM »
Yes i know what you mean about not letting them off on their own by themselves. Supervision is good. It can also be hard if you dont have a big backyard where they can spend hours building bike tracks and stuff.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2010, 06:15:03 PM »
I think the issue here is that a 6 year old can't possibly comprehend the dangers and consequences of this style of riding.

When a kid is old enough to make an adult decision - weighing up the risks and inherent consequences then sure, if they have the ability, let them go ahead. But you would have to have many long discussions about the potential consequences to ensure that they really did understand. You can rationalise it anyway you want on the Today Show, but I really worry about the motives of the parents. At best they are naive, and at worst they are opportunistic.

Do you honestly believe that if the worst happens and this kid ends up in a wheelchair for life that he will thank his parents for allowing him to proceed? It would be a high price to pay for 15 minutes of fame.

One last thing that worries me: who is maintaining the bike? Does his old man understand that it is operating way outside its design parameters and one mistake in preparation could end in disaster.

Good luck to him, but as I said before, what's next. If it is OK for a 6 year old, what about a 4 or even 3 year old. To follow the football analogy, if he shows promise then why not let him into the starting lineup for the Wallabies - he has the ability after all!!  And we wouldn't want to hold him back… would we.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

mx250

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2010, 06:38:08 PM »
If he was racing or competing in gymkhana he would be racing against 6yo's and benchmarks set by 6yo's, even if he was advancing the benchmarks. Here he is 'competing' with (i.e.coming up to the expectations of) adults. And being gee'd on by an adult crowd. This will probably 'end in tears'. This will more than likely end in tragedy than not. At best you end up with a burnt out 'been there done that' 13yo ex-racer doing drugs :o.

The Kid obviously has talent and drive. Managed and nurtured we could have another Chad in 10 years time.

All Things 414

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »

Footy players are just fine. Just don't mention; laying turds in corridors [or on curtains], group sex, bar room brawls, gambling or drugs etc. Apart from that, they are all fine upstanding young men.  :o

Q. What is the most popular saying in footy?

A. I would like to apologise to my wife, to my fans and the Club for [insert description of bad behaviour here]…

They should get it tattooed on their foreheads to make life easier for them!!  :D

Bang on there 42...... :D :D
This will probably 'end in tears'. This will more than likely end in tragedy than not.

And a lot of his peers will probably end up on the news being cut out of cars or starring in the latest advert not to get into cars with other eighteen year old dickheads.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 06:56:47 PM by All Things 414 »

Curly3

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
Confesion time. My father made my eldest brother wait until he was 21 before riding Speedway, as a result he had a pretty good career in England, even if it did appear that he had a death wish. I was indulged a bit as a youngfella and started riding Speedway at 15. My career was virtually over by 17 due to injuries,.
I don't think there is any answere but my own experiences make me err on the side of caution.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:13:37 PM by SlideRulz »

mx250

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »
And a lot of his peers will probably end up on the news being cut out of cars or starring in the latest advert not to get into cars with other eighteen year old dickheads.
None of them at the age of 6 will get into a car driven by a 6yo and end up being cut out.

Different ages, different probs, different solutions, different parenting.

At age 6 the parent calls the short. At age 17 the parents influence is greatly reduced. Hence St Ignatius' (founder of the Jesuits) famous wisdom "give me the boy of six and I'll give you the man" ;).

All Things 414

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2010, 07:14:35 PM »
??? Once again, waaaaay off the mark Graeme.... :-[

mx250

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2010, 07:21:49 PM »
??? Once again, waaaaay off the mark Graeme.... :-[
???

Curly3

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2010, 07:56:17 PM »
Yeah Graeme, I heard that it was show me the boy at 7 and I'll show you the man, hence the great ongoing docco 7up.
Get it right mate.

mx250

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2010, 08:10:48 PM »
Yeah Graeme, I heard that it was show me the boy at 7 and I'll show you the man, hence the great ongoing docco 7up.
Get it right mate.
Google here I come............

(I've heard both ages. I might google it and see .......... ;) :))

Offline oldie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2010, 08:23:09 PM »
What about the ppl that go to see that pore little 6 year old risk his life, I don't know about you, there's no way I could go there & watch that. would you go?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2010, 08:01:08 AM »
I don't know about you, there's no way I could go there & watch that. would you go?

Only if the mother did the jump first [to prove it was safe].  :o

Seriously, no I wouldn't go. I couldn't be part of the crowd that encourages this kind of exploitation.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2010, 09:15:25 AM »
What about the ppl that go to see that poor little 6 year old risk his life, I don't know about you, there's no way I could go there & watch that. would you go?
NO. I would be twisting myself inside out with fear. It is a VERY strange parent, in my mind, that would put a 6-yr-old into a Crusty Daemons environment or attend and applaud it.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2010, 03:19:02 PM »
"CHILDREN under the age of seven will be banned from riding in the front seat of cars under radical changes to seatbelt laws to be adopted across Australia."

So if your 6 year old wants to a jump a motorcycle over a Winnebago make sure he sits in the back seat when driving him to the event. ???

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 10:22:04 AM »
In some ways I’m a paranoid parent and in others I get into trouble from the missus for letting my son get a few knocks to learn things the hard way.
But there’s no way I would be happy about my son doing those sorts of jumps at 16 let alone bloody 6.
The other competition seems to be bragging rights as to how early your child started riding. I held my son back as I felt the prerequisite was being competent on a bicycle without trainers.

We named our son Jaxom. We wanted something different form the usual John, Mark, Peter etc but didn’t want to be real alternative with names like  Moonbeam, Riversong etc.
Yes he has to correct people with spelling as I have done all my life with Geoff / Jeff.
My Wife Kay is always reminding people not to put an ‘e’ on the end of her name so the spelling thing is something lots of people have to live with.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/