Author Topic: Casey Stoner back in action this weekend  (Read 82664 times)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Stoner back in action this weekend
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2010, 10:34:07 am »
Thats if Ferrari don't field a third car next year and as they have stated " if " a third Ferrari vehicle is available...that seat belongs to Rossi.

I've heard this a number of times and can't believe it's anything but utter crap. He has no history of working his way up through minor categories (GP3, GP2 etc), couldn't possibly possess a Superlicence as is required to get a start, and has been way off the pace in the lap times in all tests so far at Fiorano, and they were over two years ago. His efforts in the rally cars, while well-intentioned, didn't amount to much. It makes as much sense as paying Karmichael Hunt a fat wedge to shift to AFL on spec, ie none. Gotta be no more than a pr exercise.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

firko

« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2010, 11:00:16 am »
It makes as much sense as paying Karmichael Hunt a fat wedge to shift to AFL on spec, ie none. Gotta be no more than a pr exercise.
Great analogy, I think the Karmichael Hunt and Israel Folou AFL deals are merely attempts to get more press coverage and base support in the Rugby League strongholds and in the end I predict both will probably be playing Rugby in France within two years. Mike Pyke the Canadian rugby international now playing in the ruck for the Sydney Swans is making a fair go of AFL but it's interesting that his contract with the Swans runs out before next years Rugby World Cup. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him back in Rugby, in the second row for Canada with a vastly improved kicking game for his AFL experience.

Now back to bikes....I used to think that it was only a matter of time before Rossi moved to to F1 but when you seriously think about it, he hasn't crossed any of the boxes needed to gain a super licence let alone be a success. These days you need to be more than Italian and rich to race an F1 Ferrari. Imagine the reverse with Mark Webber on a GP bike!

« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:03:00 am by firko »

TooFastTim

« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2010, 01:11:21 pm »
Thats if Ferrari don't field a third car next year and as they have stated " if " a third Ferrari vehicle is available...that seat belongs to Rossi.

I've heard this a number of times and can't believe it's anything but utter crap.

Rossi has dismissed this outright in his autobiography (he has some interesting observations about F1 cars too). He reckons driving an F1 car once a year is fun but that's it. The WRC is a different kettle of fish.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2010, 01:31:22 pm »
Well Jeremy Burgess stated on the GP telecast that Luca Montezmelo(sp) was one of the first to phone him after the crash and said there is ALWAYS a 3rd Ferrari here for you whenever you want it. Yeah there is the Superlicence hurdle but I have also read Bernie Eccelstone was also keen for Rossi to drive in F1. I don't think he would do any good in F1
Jesus only loves two strokes

MX125B

« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2010, 01:58:35 pm »
It's official!  Stoner riding a Honda next year!!!

monaro308

« Reply #95 on: September 06, 2010, 12:24:04 pm »
Looks like we were right....sad
http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2010/riders+reactions+tomizawa

The on board shots aimed rearwards with the throttle in plain view, shows this to be a myth. They all treat the throttle with great amount of respect. Ben Spies said that the 800's are very hard to ride(as opposed to impossible without electronics) and are not on the same planet as a WSBK. Motocrap2 will be different in 2 years Inonne's Speed Up bike has had some 'professional' help recently and is miles ahead on top speed and drive. A few of the top riders are saying they need more HP as riders have to pull desparate moves just to get past. Someone will unfortunatly be killed or seriously injured in this class before the year is out. There has been 2 instances where riders in the gravel trap have had sliding bikes whiz past them. That is very dangerous.

[/quote]
I agree with lozza.....someone is going to be killed in moto2. The amount of money teams are pumping into that class just to get to the front makes a 250gp bike look cheap.
As Jeremy Burgess said a few weeks ago with the 250's all they had to change was a piston,barrel and cranks to go racing for the season.

I think Honda slipped a few euros into Carmelo's wallet ;)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 06, 2010, 12:30:17 pm »
Yes Monaro I sincerly hoped that never came true. :'(

Godspeed Shoya Tomizawa.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 06, 2010, 01:08:28 pm »
A few of the top riders are saying they need more HP as riders have to pull desparate moves just to get past. Someone will unfortunatly be killed or seriously injured in this class before the year is out. There has been 2 instances where riders in the gravel trap have had sliding bikes whiz past them. That is very dangerous.[/quote]

Hey Lozza,
Yes it was tragic news - the sad, dark side of motorcycle racing.  :-[

But I don't really understand where you are coming from in the above quote. Surely there have been enough 'Spec' and one 'Marque' classes over the years, where the machine performance was designed to be nearly identical where this kind of stuff hasn't occurred.

The 125s seem to cope with similar performance and not endanger each other excessively - and the 250s did the same for half a century. Is it the bike/rules or the riders pulling the desparate moves? Most passing occurs in the braking zones after slipstreaming, not under acceleration.

The two most dangerous situations for a rider are when he is hit by his own bike after falling, or is hit by another rider as he falls. Neither of these are directly related to the bikes. When a rider is hit by his own bike it is an accident. When a rider is hit by a competitor it is generally when the competitor is so close behind so as being unable to avoid the downed rider - and slipstreaming is the essence of road racing.

I would love to hear your views, but I think this is just a terrible accident and not directly related to the class rules.

Back to you,
Thanks
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

TT

« Reply #98 on: September 06, 2010, 04:03:27 pm »
Re. Rossi in F1. I wouldn't think it would happen, but that said, he was waaay better than most when given a test drive.
Remember when Mick Doohan and Tommi Makinen drove Ferrari's on the same day? Neither completed a lap before sticking it into the fence.  :D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 06, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »
08]

I would love to hear your views, but I think this is just a terrible accident and not directly related to the class rules.
Back to you,
Thanks
VMX42
[/quote]

I actually think GP2 hasn't been the end of the world as we know it. The bikes with professional help are those with the best developed chassis and suspension / electronics which can most take advantage of the control tyres.

I seem to remember quite a lot of desperation back in the day when riders were on different tyres and with differing engines trying to make up the difference.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2010, 06:51:19 pm »
Jeff, I'm not out there but when riders who have been in MotoGP (Elias and De Angeles) say that it's dangerous and the bikes need more power,we should listen to that, also someone at Dorna HQ should have at least listened and perhaps acted to their concerns.
One of Tony Elias' main concerns that with spec engines(only about 15-20up on a stocker) the difference between  the fastest and slowest rider was not that great, so he had to pull desparate moves just to get past a slower rider. Next was the 40 bike grid, the carnage that was happening particularly at the first turn was not good. Then we have the weight of the bike, and the slim frames made them skate along the tar and skip into sand traps with little speed washed off. On top of that we had lots of first time GP riders and a inaugural WC in the line.In 250's you would have to get a 2 or 3 yr old customer spec bike to begin with then had to produce some results to move up to current spec, then A-Kit spec then finaly your ready to win spec.This is the first time in GP that the first and last place would have the same HP.
I can think of at least 2 or 3 times riders have been struck by other bikes in 125/250(75 and 100kgs respectively) and even MotoGP with riders fortunately coming away OK. The Moto2 bikes are much heavier (about 160kgs)and just as fast they pack a heftier punch. The Tomizawa incident was very similar to the incident with UK rider Craig Jones in WSS.
Point is 2 very similar racing incidents  have happened in a week someone will have to make some changes. Craig Baird and Greg Rust were saying that there was moves to space the grid out 3 X 3 style to hopefully stop some turn 1 carnage. That says there was a problem.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2010, 09:54:04 am »
SAFETY COMMISSION

a quote from Rossi

For me another problem is that the Moto2 bikes are too wide. When you lose the front on a MotoGP bike, the bike is narrower and the bike falls flatter. So the tires don't touch the ground, and the bike slides to the outside.

The Moto2 is more wide. For a lot of riders when they crash, when you lose the front, the bike remains on the tires. So with the bike on its side, the tires bring the bike back into the track. This is more the problem than the artificial grass. It happened again today: If you see Elias' crash, he crashed, the bike is wide, the bike continued to go on the tires and came back [on the track].

monaro308

« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2010, 10:50:42 pm »
Top job Casey and Nicky 1 and 3  ;D

DR

« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2010, 06:51:27 am »
I think Valentino deserves a lot of credit for Caseys' win ;) A comment or 2 during the week about Casey's seeming lack of aggression this year appears to have fired up the young lad for a much better result 8)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2010, 11:26:11 am »
I doubt Rossi's spat made much difference, the Ducati just didn't want to turn in, and the front was realy low mid corner.They changed his riding postion and found a sweet spot, funny thing is Rossi looks like he is coasting, and if Stoner wins anymore races this year, in 2011 even hard core Rossi fanboi's will have trouble claiming Rossi 'fixed' the Ducati's front end. ;)