Author Topic: Casey Stoner back in action this weekend  (Read 82687 times)

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Casey Stoner back in action this weekend
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2009, 09:21:26 am »
No great dicing but I still reckon it was awesome to watch
Backing it in on the throttle to T3 at Phillip Island... doesn't get much braver than that ;D and the crappy camera angles they have on that corner don't even do it justice!
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

DR

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2009, 03:33:19 pm »
Brisbane

« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 07:28:52 PM » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: firko on Yesterday at 03:55:04 PM
The death of the 500cc 2 strokers marked the beginning of the end of my interest .......Nothing against Stoner, Vale, Pederosa and a couple more, they're good riders, but the rest of the pack are pretty bloody ordinary. Wouldn't it be great if we could replicate those great GP battles from the 80's and 90's where any of five or six riders were capable of winning at any time. 

Quote from: Dave
Hey Firko I totally agree! There's never been anything as special as seeing Scwantz, Rainey (my favourite), Lawson, Gardiner, Doohan, Beattie, even Spencer and Kocinski a few times

Quote from Doc right now, I totally agree. I still have many of the 'great' races on VCR. Since the inception of the 4 strokes I've watched maybe 6 or 7 races and taped none. It just doesn't do anything for me anymore :( congrats to Casey though ;)

Curly3

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2009, 05:04:23 pm »
I don't deny it takes decent sized gonads to power slide at 200kph and that they have talents that most of us don't, BUT as a spectacle I'd rather watch the 125's.
Don't forget that the electronics help to control that slide.

mx250

« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »
Gee, ya a tough audience guys :P.

The World best riders, on the world’s best bikes, on the world’s best track, with the world’s best technicians fettling, with the best of everything that the world’s best manufacturers can muster and manage, with the world’s best coverage, resulting in 45 minutes of over the top, on the limit 100% concentration and commitment, and you are still left jaded :-[.

I suggest you guys get a doctor’s appointment to check that you still have a pulse ;D.

My wife, who is not a motorcyclist and who is not an ex-racer, even she ‘got it’.  She could barely watch. She was agitated and animated, she oh’ed and ah’ed, her pulse was racing, she got up, she sat down, she walked around, she sat on the front of the seat, she leant back, and she was thrilled and enthralled. 8) 8) 8)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 20, 2009, 07:56:18 pm »
Don't forget that the electronics help to control that slide.

That is complete nonsense, the electronics are there for 2 reasons the control of the power mid corner full lean angle, and the control of fuel due to the 21 litre fuel limit. Both JB and Phillipe Presioso (Rossi's and Stoners engineers) say they have the traction control down to 3 on a fast track and 2 on a slow track that's out of 10. They find the bike 'slow' and impossible to turn without sliding the rear tyre. Mat Mladin said the exact same thing.If electronics control the slide anyone would be able to do the same thing but I don't see evidence of that. ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Curly3

« Reply #50 on: October 20, 2009, 09:36:38 pm »
Point taken Lozza, I stand corrected. Everyone has their preference.
Gee Graeme I wish my wife still did all that, apart from Casey & Vale's exploits, please tell me your secret?

Curly3

« Reply #51 on: October 20, 2009, 09:44:54 pm »
I should add,
Don't forget what you said Lozza, " The control of the power mid corner full lean ", as a "slider" in a past life that to me would " help " control the slide.

DR

« Reply #52 on: October 21, 2009, 07:40:33 am »
maybe it's the bikes I miss the most :-\ check this small snippet of history with Itoh, Rainey, Schwantz and Beattie. The whole race was like this and typical of the 500's :o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glmiU0C-nHI

mx250

« Reply #53 on: October 21, 2009, 08:43:18 am »
The whole race was like this and typical of the 500's :o
You have your rose coloured glasses on; for about 6 years it was a 98% chance that Mick Doohan would win. And the pattern of the win was as predictable as the next step in a dance.

All classes, all formulas go through stages or eras. There was a couple of seasons of World Supers where the lead would change 5 times a lap with 5 different riders contesting the lead. I saw riders come into some corners five abreast and the lead change three times in the one corner. Remember the Australian era of the Flexy Flyers, of Dennis Neil, Roy the Boy, AJ and a host of others, and spectators hanging over the fence. Have a look at the Supers now. So why are things so different now.

What makes the modern era so different is the riders have to be expert in so many different areas of expertise. The great riders now are those who can ride the wheels of a bike, understand their bike and how it is performing, being able to relate that to their crew, to be superbly physically fit, to be mentally strong, to have PR skills etc. And the competition is such that they have to have each 'pigeon hole' full or nearly full.

What we saw at PI is the end product of this distilling process. These two riders are so good if they irk out a .5 or a .05 second advantage over their competition, they will relentlessly apply that advantage lap after lap for 45 close to flawless minutes.

And that what I saw in the race. I'm awe struck; these guys are demigods ;) :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 21, 2009, 09:13:59 am »
The whole race was like this and typical of the 500's :o
You have your rose coloured glasses on; for about 6 years it was a 98% chance that Mick Doohan would win. And the pattern of the win was as predictable as the next step in a dance.

All classes, all formulas go through stages or eras. There was a couple of seasons of World Supers where the lead would change 5 times a lap with 5 different riders contesting the lead. I saw riders come into some corners five abreast and the lead change three times in the one corner. Remember the Australian era of the Flexy Flyers, of Dennis Neil, Roy the Boy, AJ and a host of others, and spectators hanging over the fence. Have a look at the Supers now. So why are things so different now.

What makes the modern era so different is the riders have to be expert in so many different areas of expertise. The great riders now are those who can ride the wheels of a bike, understand their bike and how it is performing, being able to relate that to their crew, to be superbly physically fit, to be mentally strong, to have PR skills etc. And the competition is such that they have to have each 'pigeon hole' full or nearly full.

What we saw at PI is the end product of this distilling process. These two riders are so good if they irk out a .5 or a .05 second advantage over their competition, they will relentlessly apply that advantage lap after lap for 45 close to flawless minutes.

And that what I saw in the race. I'm awe struck; these guys are demigods ;) :D

and people questioned why he had time out this year  ::)  nearly not human  :-\
Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2009, 10:45:50 am »
Go the Aussie Kid...Casey wins again in Malaysia,this time on a red one  8)- love those paint jobs  8)
Valentino wins his title. 8)
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2009, 02:31:06 pm »
You sure he was in that race, no one else seemed to see which way he went :D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2009, 07:07:32 pm »
The downpour sorted everyone out, funny how the Ducati is supposed to be beast but looks so stable and poised in the wet with Stoner on the bike.
The 250's were a blast (pm me for your black arm band as Velencia is the last 250 GP;D) I can't remember a race that a placing had to be decided on rider with the fastest lap. When a photo finish, gap to the leader, average race speed and elapsed race time were all identical, that is CLOSE.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2009, 06:29:21 am »
lozza
the honda rider is lucky to win as the italian nearly pushed him into the pit wall.that old honda was slower than the gel but he sure can ride clean and smooth,looking forward to the last race the 1 for the championship{go honda).125s were a blast smith is a good rider now all he needs to learn is racecraft as his team mate and world champ was teaching him on sunday.this years racing shows 2 outstanding 125 riders 3 250 riders and of corse the 4 in motogp
cheers
jim

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2009, 01:36:34 pm »
So what will the 125's be replaced with when they are phased out?