Author Topic: 2010 VMX Tri Series  (Read 34675 times)

magoo

Re: 2010 VMX Tri Series
« Reply #165 on: September 13, 2009, 05:48:37 pm »
I'm stunned. I've sat back for the last couple of weeks and watched blokes go ballistic over what is nothing short of an idea. There is no series as yet, just an idea discussed over a couple of beers and a few phone calls between myself, Kaw440 in Victoria and my old mate STW in Queensland. IT IS AN IDEA FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!
There is every chance it may not work but what do you do, give up without even bothering to give it some sort of a go?? One thing that interests me is that we've gone 14 pages discussing something that is just an idea at this stage so maybe it has merit.
I'm sure Bahnsy is blinded in personal dislike for someone involved which is sad, block it out for both yours and the sports sake and everything will be ok.
And I know where Firko is coming from, if you want to run with a new idea it is a great idea to be prepared for any pitfalls which might rear their ugly heads. You go in blind, you're dead for sure. (although the only way I could spend $3,000 in fuel from Melbourne to Brisbane would be in Firkos Lear jet). And anyway, the day me and the big fella agree on ANYTHING I'm giving it away. I still blame Kevin Rudd, the most boring human being on the face of the planet.
My original idea was something along the lines of "The Awesome '80s" for bikes made in the 80's (including 1978/79 models as well of course).
It's made for you Firko because you wouldn't have to change your wardrobe, you'd fit in perfectly.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 05:51:00 pm by magoo »

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 13, 2009, 05:54:11 pm »
I'm stunned. I've sat back for the last couple of weeks and watched blokes go ballistic over what is nothing short of an idea. There is no series as yet, just an idea discussed over a couple of beers and a few phone calls between myself, Kaw440 in Victoria and my old mate STW in Queensland. IT IS AN IDEA FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!
There is every chance it may not work but what do you do, give up without even bothering to give it some sort of a go?? One thing that interests me is that we've gone 14 pages discussing something that is just an idea at this stage so maybe it has merit.
I'm sure Bahnsy is blinded in personal dislike for someone involved which is sad, block it out for both yours and the sports sake and everything will be ok.
And I know where Firko is coming from, if you want to run with a new idea it is a great idea to be prepared for any pitfalls which might rear their ugly heads. You go in blind, you're dead for sure. (although the only way I could spend $3,000 in fuel from Melbourne to Brisbane would be in Firkos Lear jet). And anyway, the day me and the big fella agree on ANYTHING I'm giving it away. I still blame Kevin Rudd, the most boring human being on the face of the planet.
My original idea was something along the lines of "The Awesome '80s" for bikes made in the 80's (including 1978/79 models as well of course).
It's made for you Firko because you wouldn't have to change your wardrobe, you'd fit in perfectly.

Okay Magoo take THE "IDEA FOR CHRISTS SAKE!!!!!" to the next level,there seems to be a reasonable amount of support for this "IDEA" have a "CRACK"

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #167 on: September 13, 2009, 06:17:07 pm »
Yep i agree with many comments here about it being for 78-89 model bikes. There is a market for it and the pre 90 could entice a few of the guys who normally ride moderns and wouldnt be interested in 'vintage' I think having 78-89 bikes as the target era will give them the attention they need and from what i have read there are a lot of guys with pre 90 bikes itching for some sort of event aimed specifically at them. I dont think pre 78, pre 75, pre 70 etc has anything to worry about, this proposed tri series is ment for guys who are into the 1980's era of bikes. Take a look at UK, they fully support pre 90 and theres talk of pre 95. My only critisim is that i would like to see a separate 4 stroke class at the tri series, for people to re-live the 80's and build up 'hot' White Brothers and Protec TT's, Ballards & White Brothers XR's etc etc.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:23:17 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

kaw440

« Reply #168 on: September 13, 2009, 06:55:32 pm »
Just like magoo said i also have watched this thred and if the amount of negativity was moved into positivity australia would have the best vintage racing in the world bar none all we have done is talked about this over  the phone and at the titles now it is public there seems to be many who have nothing to add but a negative cloud over this idea in the same light there is a lot of positive input as well so if you are one that is in no favour of this IDEA then find something that helps you sleep remember there is some classes in vintage that dont suit all so understand this if it is not your era then dont mock it as i would expect the same from the outher side of the fence vintage cannot stay in one era for it enternity it will have no future and just for the guys that dont know me KAW440 i am simon healy as barnsy put in his post some hide behind their forum names i dont

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 13, 2009, 07:26:07 pm »
Magoo - 12 pages eh - I know you have problems past ten but..................... :-*

hey guys - why is it that if somebody has an opinion which doesn't support an idea it is negative or deemed to be bad?  Do all opinions on this forum have to be in support - surely then as I am sure is Firkos intent pitfalls turn up down the track which weren't thought of in the first place.  I have tried to read this whole thread as being two sides to an argument (which there always should be) with both sides needing consideration for any concept to get off the ground.

Lighten up - consider both sides and as some have said - put your hand up if this is to go anywhere?  People that have significant experience in the sport should be listened to even if what you are hearing you don't always like.

Can I also have a ride in that lear Jet please Firko/Magoo ;D

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:15 pm »

I have no dislike for anyone linked to this discussion and I am curious as to how that comment came about. Whilst I might not agree with individuals thought process, I would like to think that I show respect in all manner of communication, regardless of the topic.

That said it would be rather bland if it was all one way traffic. Personally I don't understand why it is seen as negative when you ask the curly questions and seek answers to what i may see as erroneous points. In any case a handful of naysayer’s will have no impact on the eventual outcome.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:32:20 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: September 13, 2009, 08:37:43 pm »
I don't think it's been too negative.
Its good to be open for discussion and visualize the future of VMX.
What is disappointing/negative is that there has only been a hand full of people discussing  the Tri Series idea.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: September 13, 2009, 10:27:21 pm »
*There is no room on the vintage motocross calendar for yet another grab on the purse strings. We saw this year that Victorians were unwilling to attend both Classic Dirt and the Nats due to financial constraints. They either attended CD6 or the Nats, very few did both and the majority did neither. This in itself should set off a few alarm bells that by adding yet another cash outlay to the already tight system the calendar is being overloaded. The lack of a serious entry roll up for the Dirt Track Nats is yet another example of the limited funds out there in VMXland. While trying to drum up some extra entries for the Dirt Track Nats I recieved the "I've used up all of my racing and travel funds (and home brownie points!) on the Nats and CD6" reply more often than I'd even expected. I'm a self funded retiree who got out on a pretty good government superannuation yet I've still got to seriously watch my pennies. I was once one of the the pre 90 demographic of the "thirty something" with a mortgage, working wife, school age kids and a lot of debt and know I would have battled to get to just two of these events let alone all of them.

So what?
Its a competitive market place, and if people prefer to go to the TriSeries over the Nats or CD7, then that's their choice.
More to the point, if they chose to do the Tri-Series over the other options, then its clear that those other options are not meeting a demand. To 'force' people into doing these 'second-choice' options by killing off the Tri-Series, is to deny the sport the opportunity to grow.

The alternative is to keep plodding away with the same-old same-old, which grows tired and stale, no matter how good the idea is.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #173 on: September 13, 2009, 10:57:14 pm »
There were only around 35 entries for HEAVENS second biggest event, the Evo Challenge at Clarence today. It seems that riders won't even support their own club and ride locally  let alone expect them to go on a two day journey.  :-\
Fix up what we've got.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: September 13, 2009, 11:46:11 pm »
I'm obviously the wrong personality type for this sport, because I don't think that every single decision, event type, event date, or bike should focus entirely on what I want.
The sooner we all realise that we've got more in common than different to each other, and that sometimes we just have to go with the flow, the sooner this sport can prosper again.

Why weren't these arguments put up against the birth of Vinduro?
Why is the Broadford Bike Bonanza's impact on Classic Dirt convienently being ignored?
Would the negativity have the same potency and the same volume if the Tri-Series was going to be primarily about pre-65, pre-70 and pre-75? Really?

I'm on a hair trigger for the world's biggest bridge-burning dummy spit, because I'm seriously fed up with the self centred attitudes of few too many of us.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #175 on: September 14, 2009, 12:35:05 am »
I'm obviously the wrong personality type for this sport, because I don't think that every single decision, event type, event date, or bike should focus entirely on what I want.
The sooner we all realise that we've got more in common than different to each other, and that sometimes we just have to go with the flow, the sooner this sport can prosper again.
I don't quite get your points here. I can't see what you're getting so excited about.
Why weren't these arguments put up against the birth of Vinduro?
Because Vinduro is a good concept that is not intruding on an existing event or set of events. It's all new.
Why is the Broadford Bike Bonanza's impact on Classic Dirt convienently being ignored
Where were you that week? There was quite a kerfuffle both on the forum and behind the scenes. It's still going on.
Would the negativity have the same potency and the same volume if the Tri-Series was going to be primarily about pre-65, pre-70 and pre-75? Really?
From me it would, I can't speak for the others. I don't think it's a very good idea, no matter what era of racing it includes. You may notice Nathan that if it does go ahead I think it should be purely for pre 90.
I'm on a hair trigger for the world's biggest bridge-burning dummy spit, because I'm seriously fed up with the self centred attitudes of few too many of us.
I certainly hope you're not referring to me in that sweeping statement Nathan. I'm merely offering up my opinion on why I think a Tri Series won't work at the moment. I've said a number of times that the idea is good but won't work at the present time for the numerous reasons stated. I've been around this sport long enough to know that riders just won't travel. It's a f**king fact that can't be avoided. Todays mighty effort from HEAVENS members can be summed up in two words. F**king disgraceful and indicitive of the problems that need to be solved. My whole problem with the Tri Series is purely based on the travel logistics. I have no problems with the pre 90 class being the feature division.

You seem to have a problem with me, jumping on many of my opinions and that's fine. Don't however confuse my right to have an opinion that differs to yours as me being self centered.

This is starting to show the potential of turning into another shitfight. I'm way past arguing the toss and have made my points as clearly as I could. You can agree with me or disagree, that's your free will. Getting into a dummy spit would be counter productive to the discussion I would think. Learn to live with the fact that we all disagree on things from time to time. That's life. Lifes too short to get all worked up over something that doesn't exist. It's only a discussion point. I've made my points and that's it for me on this subject.

Thank you and Good Night. ;)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:37:15 am by firko »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 14, 2009, 07:22:15 am »
Just on the BBB, do you remember how everyone was saying that it was going to hurt Classic Dirt, and that it was wrong and all the rest?
And then we had the biggest CD ever.  ::)

I'm just getting very intolerant of the attitude of many, where they expect everything to be exactly how they want - and then they get all snotty and insolent if it doesn't happen that way... This the real reason the sport is supposedly in the doldrums in NSW, not any failing of Heaven.

How often do you hear anyone say "That's not how I'd do it, but its a good idea"?
How often do you hear anyone say "That's not my cup of tea, but I reckon you lot will have a ball doing it"?
Basically never. And that's a very, VERY poor reflection on an otherwise good bunch of blokes (and I say blokes because our two regular female posters actually seem to be capable of saying such things).

Its always "That won't work", or "That doesn't suit me, I see why everybody hates that club"... Since when did we all become such a bunch of prima-donnas?

Offline AjayVMX

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • VMX Magazine
« Reply #177 on: September 14, 2009, 12:32:36 pm »
I think it would be fair to say that BBB did have some small effect on CD6, but that effect is probably negligable because the issues of travel distance from the southern states to QLD would probably have had a larger effect on people's decisions to go to CD6 or not.

I think it's probably more relevant to say that CD6 may have had a negative effect on the BBB.  ;)

As far as the poor attendance at the EVO Challenge is concerned, that is very disappointing indeed.  Maybe there should be some kind of post mortum to work out why the numbers were so low.

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 14, 2009, 01:00:32 pm »
I do think the number of events has an impact. As others have noted, there are now so many quality events racers are able to be choosy about what to attend. While I think the Tri-State sounds great in theory, it might be pushing it to get a decent rollup, or at least a rollup of riders who attend more than one. I haven't followed this thread all that closely, however making it a Pre 90 series would definitely be worth considering as the field to draw from is at least a little different to the strictly vintage crowd. I don't see that you could tack it onto any modern event/series as there are two many classes to make that viable. But a three round series run at suitable venues aimed at Pre 85 and pre 90 classes has a pretty reasonable chance of being a goer, whereas I really doubt a true vintage series would work.

As for HEAVEN, dunno. Perhaps the several big events so far this year plus the VERY recent Nats and very soon DT Nats had an effect? I would like to see a little more advertising of these events myself. I have noticed that a few clubs are starting to fall behind the eight ball with letting people know what's on and when. No disrespect to HEAVEN, but in the past advertising was pushed more enthusiastically, and earlier. I think with the number of events now, clubs have to be much more proactive in letting people know what's on and when.  I see a real need to have a very switched on approach to marketing now that we actually have competition for riders to attend an event... It's my opinion that about the best example of that is Siege in the States with his VDR and Hammer and Tongs series.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: September 15, 2009, 10:23:40 pm »
Thought about this some more and other events, if you want to run some significant event I suggest you try and get it in early in the year for the Calender... :o

Back to modern-- ::)   :-X   The WA State rounds have finished and now all the clubs are getting in there events as ..No events are to run on a state round weekend...so the next 6 weeks are MX events for us with a budget of nil  :-\  crazy times.

oh yer and marketing and publicity are the way to go  8)
VMXWA 15th Birthday next year -some big names coming our way 2010  ;)  ;D
Best is in the West !!