Author Topic: 2010 VMX Tri Series  (Read 34669 times)

Ji Gantor

2010 VMX Tri Series
« on: September 02, 2009, 08:39:11 pm »
When we were at CD6 a fellow was asked to speak at one of the riders briefing.
He promoted a tri series next year that would see races in Victoria, NSW and Queensland.

Does anyone have any more details when, where, who, and how this will work.

Ji

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 2010 VMX Tri Series
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2009, 09:51:20 pm »
Not wanting to sound negative, but here we are in September 2009 and there is nothing yet organised, so it's a fair bet that there wont be anything in 2010. If there was to be such a thing there is a whole bunch of hurdels that would need to be overcome, the least being class a National class structure and a robust set of GCR's.

My opinion is that in real terms Australia is to big of a land mass and to small of a rider base to make this successfull. The sheer economics of it all would dictate this.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Damo

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 10:17:50 am »
Sounds like an AWESOME idea.

Reminds me of the Thumper Nats series which was basically a Tri-State series for many years untill they ventured accros to Mannum S.A. in the later stages.

Just look how big that was, at Geelong they use to have a double row start approx 60 to 80 riders!!!!

This series has the potential to be HUGE.

Lets make it happen.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 10:56:01 am »
Simon Healy and Magoo are the one's to contact. :)

firko

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 11:32:31 am »
I've got my doubts about this ever getting off the ground for a number of reasons.

The first is the "tyranny of distance". For a 3 way series to be really successful you'd need a strong entry level from all three states. With the current uncertainty of the economy and the willingness of racers to attend the Nats and CD7 there are only so many trips a working class bloke can fit in both financially and timewise. I'm sure this is one of the reasons for the less than satisfactory entry level for the Dirt Track Nats. The number of big meetings clustered together withing a three month period guarantees that one or more will suffer entry wise. The Tri Series is a great idea but if it's successful, another event must invariably suffer. In my opinion the 'big event' quota for our sport is full up right now.

The second and most obvious obstacle a Tri Series needs to overcome is finding someone to actually organise the show. To convert a great idea into a living, breathing, proper series takes a lot of dedication and time. The 'great idea' needs three coordinators and one overall 'team leader' that can deal with officialdom, sponsorship proposals, transport logistics and the myriad of petty stuff involved with the coordination of such an event and be prepared to be on the phone working on the series on a daily basis. It needs someone who can dedicate 90% of their free time to the series and have the coordination skills to solve the many problems that will invariably arise.

Good ideas come along all the time (I'm as guilty as anyone for occasionally promoting a 'good idea' without thinking it fully out)but they often fall down because for anything to work you need leadership and support. Past history has shown that if either of these facets start to waver the event will fail. It's a hard call but sadly it's so very true.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 11:39:35 am by firko »

STW996

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 01:26:22 pm »
Well I can speak for QLD and say we are keen to get it going. I have put a proposal to the QVMX and we are keen as a club to run with it. I would sponsor the QLD leg via my Wiltec business and have stuck up my hand to help organise from this end. I have had talks with people from Echo Valley re their venue and had good feedback or it could also be held at a new MAQ complex about to come on line in SEQ.

I agree it will be hard to get off the ground but all things start small and work their way up in size if people become involved and support it.

It is (the series) designed to attract new people to the sport that are interested in the 80's error of racing and from the feedback of people on this forum I am sure that could be achieved.

People interested can contact me via the forum on PM or my company address at [email protected] so we can get idea's on the go and mover forward.

Our plan was always to have in the last half of next year (July through November) so time is still on our side specially with the nationals being early year and depending on the CD7 timing.

Shane

Ji Gantor

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 01:35:53 pm »
Hi Shane,
If you need any help I am at your call.
Thanks for all the help on riding big bores last Saturday.
Next time I am down Brendale way I will stop in and have a chat.
I hope to see you at Coles Creek.

Ji

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 03:15:53 pm »
If there was a Tri-State 3 round series, (that has been bandied about for some years) sadly the Queensland event would be 75% Queenslanders, 15% New South Welshman and 5% Victorians/South Aussies. A NSW event would be 33% Queenslanders, 33% New South Welshman and 33% Victorians/South Aussies. A Victorian event 5% Queenslanders, 15% New South Welshman and 75% Victorians/South Aussies. I am basing this on the Classic Dirt attendance so it might be a bit skewed, but it’s all we have got for the moment.

It would end up being something akin to an Aussie title event structured and run at a state/club level, would that work, I doubt it. Is everyone 100% confident & comfortable that there respective state titles are robust enough to run side by side with Classic Dirt, A National Title event, the various MA structured events like the Broadford Bike Bonanza and a Tri-State series?
There’s 52 weekends in a year. You loose at least of 16 of those to the stinking hot summers that we have. So 35 odd weekends without considering the National and State long weekends and you don’t get a lot to work with. Given that most states have other competitions that run side by side that is frequented by a % of riders common to each event you have to be careful that you don’t double up on dates.

Personally I would love to see it happen; I just can’t see how it could be a long term sustainable event without jeopardising the State Title competitions.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Ji Gantor

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »
Hay Shane,
I spoke to Geoff Ballard on Monday and he is all for a Tri series. He told me that he can not wait to compete and looked forward to nominating for all three rounds. I certainly want to particapate at all three rounds as well.

As Firko said I will probably have to forego the Nationals and CD7 next year if the Tri series goes ahead. I think what VMX needs is a series, something that riders can compete in all year and watch their championship grow, rather than a one off event that if things go wrong it is all over. The one off event also atracts fast riders that come for the day and clean up, I know that is a problem faced by BMCC with their competition.

I would also like to see and ride the tracks in different states as well as New Zealand, may be there could be a quad series.

Ji

STW996

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 04:56:35 pm »
See Bahnsy this is why we want to get it going in Queensland.

As for state titles, The QLD state titles were run last weekend and the host club do not run pre 85 (little lone pre 90!) at this event so as such there is no pre 85 state title on offer and it is not ment (tri-series) to be a state title at all but another form of competition for pre 85 and now pre 90 bikes and interested Evo runners.

From a personal point of view I would be happy with an event that was a single day format (maybe practice on Saturday) that had fields for Evo (including pre 78), pre 85 and pre 90 as there is no stand alone event in Queenland for just these classes. It could be done as a stand alone event or part of a tri-series and I would think we would get around 70 riders for an event here in QLD without interstate entries.

It is not a championship (at this point in time) so the GCR'S will be easy run what you like as long as it fit's the era.

I would thing awards would be on offer but lets face it 90% of the riders our there do it for fun and the events on this forum of the past few weeks have been less then fun I can assure you. So if you what to run, run if you don't then don't. It will be that easy.

Shane
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 04:58:38 pm by STW996 »

firko

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 05:45:09 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I think a Tri Series is a good idea but like Bahnsy suggests, there are too many variables in the way. It's all based on the pretext that everyone involved would travel to every event but let's be serious here, you can't get NSW and Victorian racers to travel at any time let alone to two extra interstate events on top of CD7 (presuming it's not in Victoria or NSW).
 I'm certain the guys who are behind this are as keen as mustard but I think asuming that racing punters will be willing to prolong that enthusiasm over three rounds, thousands of road kilometres, thousands of dollars expense and numerous expensive days off work is a bit wishful. A similar concept was mooted in the mid nineties when the sport was twice as strong and we couldn't raise enough enthusiasm to carry it off so I doubt you'd find enough enthusiasm in todays economic climate.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 05:49:23 pm by firko »

STW996

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2009, 06:44:28 pm »
All fare points Firko and you have the experience on the board to know what has happened in the past but and there is always a but lets put it out there and try.

The focus will be on the pre 90 bikes (post vintage or semi modern call it what you will) as they at this point in time have no "event" as such on the calander as they can not race at the nationals (to many classes as it is) and are not yet on the CD program.

I would think we as a sport could attract new members to the fold through an event like this and that will have I think a knock on affect to the other classes.

As I said lets put it out there and see what happens, if it flops it is no biggie but if it catches on then it can only be good for the sport.

Off now to get some bikes ready for Coles Creek

Go the Honda's

Shane

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2009, 06:45:31 pm »
Sorry if I am coming across as negative, but I am rather passionate of the State based series. I use an analogy of building a house.
You start of with good solid foundation; you then build a frame and finally put on a roof. (yeh I know there is a bunch of other things in between) I liken the foundation as being the clubs, the individuals at the grass roots level of the sport. I then see the frame work as the state based series, i.e. VIPER, HEAVEN, QVMX etc. The roof is the National titles and the like. So it goes without saying that if you don’t have a good foundation and framework then the whole lot can come tumbling down or at best, be rather shakey.

Speaking to various entrants and people around the traps, in most states the foundation and framework are not as solid as they could/should be.

With issues such as class structure and GCR’s not fully aligned between the states, then you will be up against it from the get go. Personally I would like to see people focus  putting their efforts into a National body looking specifically AT Evolution and Pre85 with an aim towards sorting out the class structure and GCR’s that would allow such an event in the future to be run with much less politics than if it was scheduled in today’s environment. The last thing you need is what happens in North America where they have a bunch of World Championships that only American's compete in.

And on a slightly parallel point. It would be interesting to survey if the majority of the riders would be more interested in a Tri-State Classic Dirt style event or a full on competitive Tri-State series.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 06:48:13 pm by Bahnsy »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2009, 06:52:59 pm »
Shane,
Missed your reply whilst I was typing. Agree with your sentiment with one exception.

"As I said lets put it out there and see what happens, if it flops it is no biggie but if it catches on then it can only be good for the sport"

From experience, when it flops, usually a lot of good people with the right intentions get disillusioned and pissed off and go underground, usually not to be seen again for a long time. That would be an absolute and disastrous situation.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 07:16:39 pm »
I know you are writing/discussing about an eastern states event,but why are the Junior MX Nationals(Vic) having a team of eight from each state running at there Nationals this month and we aren't doing it for Classic. ??? with most Vintage folk gathering at the Nationals wouldn't this the best place and time to run your idea  :P
I have read though the GCR's and can't find much on the classes for both junior and classic teams ???
Mr Bahnsy could you please explain  ??? thanks
Best is in the West !!