Author Topic: MX tracks and double jumps.  (Read 20199 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: MX tracks and double jumps.
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2009, 12:14:15 pm »
In days gone past if you made a mistake you lost time or your position. These days you make a mistake you're a good chance of losing limb or life.......
Can't remember who said it but it fits..... :-\

The above quote is very true,
                                        talking about our local track earlier on in this discussion regarding safety of the track, jumps etc. this track has just moved to the top of the list regarding injuries and worse. On the 2nd of August there was the normal club meeting with yet another severe crash on the same jump as the previous month this being the finish line jump, the young guy who crashed this time is the 23yr old son of a person who i know thru business.

The rider suffered major head trauma and was placed into an induced coma at the track then airlifted from the track to hospital (the same with the rider the previous month, and another the month before that) sadly he passed away last night.

I believe now the shite will hit the fan and these tracks will get a wake up call or at least i hope they do. Regards Peter.
Mate thats incredibly sad.Condolences to the family.
Its possible that the track will be closed at least for a period until the all shit that will now follow is sorted.

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2009, 12:25:11 pm »
I doubt it motomaniac as i believe the clubs thoughts are as per normal, it`s not the tracks fault. 1 broken back and 3 air ambulances since January 09, amazing how many bad riders there must be. The lights are on but nobodys home.   Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2009, 12:36:04 pm »
I doubt it motomaniac as i believe the clubs thoughts are as per normal, it`s not the tracks fault. 1 broken back and 3 air ambulances since January 09, amazing how many bad riders there must be. The lights are on but nobodys home.   Peter.

Down here when something like this happens the Seaford track gets closed , insurance inspectors come and everything waits for the all clear or track alterations to be made as perscribed by them.????

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 01:57:00 pm »
Billet YZ,

What track is that?

As a YZ fan, do you know where I can find a 400E?  Not of the yellow persuasion????

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 02:01:06 pm »
I spoke to the MAV office and got the following info-

MAV sets the rules for MX tracks in Vic.
Doubles are banned on MX tracks
MAV is responsible for inspecting and licencing MX tracks
MAV's own MX track at Broadford has several sets of doubles on it

???????????????????

WTF is going on ?

I guess we can look forward to paying $1000 a year for a licence in the near future. Who is going to insure an organisation that can't even follow its own safety rules.
It will be a open and shut case for someone to sue them if they get injured on a track that they have licenced and it doesn't meet their own rules
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 02:06:48 pm »
Billet YZ,

What track is that?

As a YZ fan, do you know where I can find a 400E?  Not of the yellow persuasion????

The track is Bacchus Marsh Victoria, sorry can`t help you with the YZ but will keep it in mind. Peter.

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 02:08:44 pm »

???????????????????

WTF is going on ?

I guess we can look forward to paying $1000 a year for a licence in the near future. Who is going to insure an organisation that can't even follow its own safety rules.
It will be a open and shut case for someone to sue them if they get injured on a track that they have licenced and it doesn't meet their own rules

G`day Mick,
                 sounds like a can of worms, they need to follow their own rules if they expect all the clubs to do so.  Peter.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 02:24:35 pm »

???????????????????

WTF is going on ?

The Seaford track isn't under the MAV as far as I know its a privately run track with its own insurance .Its inspected regularly - people still egt hurt of course.

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2009, 02:38:34 pm »
Bacchus Marsh is a non MA affiliated track I believe, may be wrong though. The doubles at Broadford may be just over the distance limit to not be classed as doubles. I went to a track once which clearly had a couple of sets of doubles, and even though they were complained about by the majority, they stayed and were allowed . They were 5cm over the maximum allowed distance to be classed as a double jump!
K

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2009, 03:20:58 pm »
Fatboy

You described whoops, not stutters, which are allowed as you said are two or more rounded obstacles with max height 0.6m with a minimum distance of crests of 3m & maximum of 6m ie you can have 3 rounded obstacless in a whoop. Stutters are two or more obstacles with max height 1.0m with a minimum distance of peaks of 1m & maximum of 3m.
Other deffinitions
A table top is a jump with a flat surface, min length 3m, max 18m (Already stated but it leads into the next one)
Multiple jumps (Doubles) An obstacle consisting of 2 to a max of 4 "jumps" within 10 metres of the preceding "jump" on a straight section of the course. It is not necessary to deem that the "jumps" may be able to be jumped singly or as a set.        (10m from take off points or from landing to take off?)
With the bridges apart from the engineers report they must have suitable barriers in place to prevent machines, riders & debris from falling onto the track surface below.

I have a copy, can't you guess, of the rules in PDF. They are just about to be revised but if anyone wants a copy, PM me with an eamil address and I'll send you a copy.

Viper666

PS Bacchuss Marsh went black a couple of years ago but an anomaly means you can have MAV sanctioned coaching course etc. there but not race.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 03:26:22 pm by Viper666 »
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?

Offline NSR

• Legend
  • Sunshine Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2009, 07:18:58 pm »
Jumps are not allowed to be more than 3 mts high and all bridges are to be removed after 31 dec 2008, The track i raced on over the weekend had both but was passed for a Australian Championship.

If your talking about the nats track.
Conondale doesn't have bridges, it has tunnels.
Spectators is a natural hill.
I can't believe conondale was brought up in this thread ???
Cheers
Noel   
The Swvm though the tree's! http://youtu.be/4h6BbasT16I
Metalink Conondale vinduro sprint. May 19/20 2018    
www.metalink.net.au  Bike trailers & Canopies

Offline fatboyracing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2009, 07:42:36 pm »
Hi Noel and 8,
firstly I think this is one of the best tracks I have ever raced on and I am not bagging it what I am talking about is the definations of Jumps, whoops,stutters and multiples tunnel or bridge the defination we got of the tunnel/bridge at Penguin MX track in Tas exactly the same as conndales was from Ma that it was to be removed. I think it would be hard to find an engineer to say thast a spectator tunnel/bridge is completly safe from any accidents. Broadford also has a tunnel/bridge it will be interesting to see if that has been closed..
In my oppion Natural terran or not Drunks is a step up jump which is perfectly legal and spectator jump is a big jump that would be between 4 mts and 5 mts high making it illegal but I think that it is way safer than other tracks with doubles and triples that I have raced.
Just because a track is classed natural terran dose not exclude it from the rules to do with Jumps etc
I am not picking on one track but clearly trying to decifer what is happening with our tracks in Australia making them hard to ride can only make for riders not coming or more injurys when they do come to race.

Track venue standards are avaliable from your SCBs or from MA.
Please dont get mad at me for having an oppion weather I am right or wrong I had a lot of fun at Connidale and all thanks to the QVMX and Sunshine coast clubs.

Fatboy

All Things 414

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2009, 07:47:56 pm »
Fug me. For the "Bike Bonanza" They had:
Two consecutive step-ups
a set of quads
and a "killer" tabletop with a knife-edge landing ramp that meant if you didn't clear it properly you would either a. flat land on the far side of the jump or b. flat land on the up side of the tabletop before it decended down again. I've never seen another tabletop like this baby in all my years.

Mind you this was all laid on for "A fun day out"

After doing approx four laps I marched myself off to have a heated debate with the MA/Organising commitee who basically said "stiff shit"
I went on to explain that if this was a race meeting, I'd be entited to get my money back
Same reaction "stiff shit"

After leaving this heated discussion I was greeted with the news that Gator had totalled himself on said tabletop.
Going by the press afterwards, everyone had a ball....... >:(

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2009, 08:19:13 pm »
Hi Noel and 8,
firstly I think this is one of the best tracks I have ever raced on and I am not bagging it what I am talking about is the definations of Jumps, whoops,stutters and multiples tunnel or bridge the defination we got of the tunnel/bridge at Penguin MX track in Tas exactly the same as conndales was from Ma that it was to be removed. I think it would be hard to find an engineer to say thast a spectator tunnel/bridge is completly safe from any accidents. Broadford also has a tunnel/bridge it will be interesting to see if that has been closed..
In my oppion Natural terran or not Drunks is a step up jump which is perfectly legal and spectator jump is a big jump that would be between 4 mts and 5 mts high making it illegal but I think that it is way safer than other tracks with doubles and triples that I have raced.
Just because a track is classed natural terran dose not exclude it from the rules to do with Jumps etc
I am not picking on one track but clearly trying to decifer what is happening with our tracks in Australia making them hard to ride can only make for riders not coming or more injurys when they do come to race.

Your comments regarding Connondale are so far wide of the mark it's not funny,and unfortunatly your comments would put you in the catergory that I first outlined in my first post,I can understand where a tunnel or Bridge could be a problem where you actually ride through them at speed but the example that is in place at Connondale doesn't fit into that catergory, and as far as "Drunks" it's a hill and has been that way for the 32 years that I have been riding there? and it would be a real stretch to interprete that as a jump of 4-5m,While you are entitled to your opinion your interpretation of what you saw in front of you on the day is wrong,and this is where the problems arise as a track inspector you should display enough knowledge and experience to know that that track was well designed and safe as it is has been for a very long time,and history shows that.Whats happening with our tracks in Australia is most of them are being built and designed by idiots and inspected by idiots?

All Things 414

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2009, 08:25:49 pm »
I'm getting the feeling that we're no longer allowed to say what we think of anything if it somehow has anything to do with The Nats, Connondale or anything else being added to the taboo list.... :-\ How about some of you others getting a grip?  >:(